cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD Turbo Core Technology Problem

Zabraxis
Level 7
Hello guys!

I seem to be having a problem with AMD Turbo Core Technology. I'm running the FX 9590 CPU on the Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard. When I enable the XMP profile on my ram the CPU ratio is changed from auto to 23.5. Once I run anything that puts a small amount of load I got a blue screen with the error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. I tried to manually enter all of the ram timings with the same results. I tried 2 different types of memory with the same results as well. After a couple of days working on this I find if I disabled AMD Turbo Core Technology the error went away. I upgraded my PSU as well to make sure I had sufficient enough power.What could be causing this issue?

Specs
Crosshair V Formula-Z
FX 9590
Viper 3 Series, Jungle Green, DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz Kit (PV38G186C0KGN)
2 x 500 GB Sata
DVD-RW
Corsair CX850M PSU
27 REPLIES 27

elesde
Level 10
PSU should not be the problem with turbo core since the power draw is already limited to TDP when it is active.

You could try running with a bit more CPU voltage, manual offset +0.0125 or +0.025. Or you could disable the highest turbo P-state via disabling core C6 state, unfortunately the power draw will increase slightly with this as well.
There are other options like adjusting the P-states manually with something like PSCheck or AMD Overdrive software.

For now my bet would be the CPU is unstable when hitting those 5GHz in max turbo at the given voltage.

Zabraxis
Level 7
I'll try that in the morning.. Out of curiosity if the CPU is unstable when it hits 5 GHz. Could there be something wrong with the CPU?

elesde
Level 10
Could be, either the CPU or the bios code on the MB or a combination of both. But yea the CPU should work out of the box on that mainboard without having to fiddle with details imo. If those grounds are good enough for an RMA I don't know since I'm usually too lazy to go through with such things when I can get it to work myself^^

Zabraxis
Level 7
Hey man I tried the manual offset of +0.0125 and +0.025 both settings didn't work. The first setting froze at the bios screen where you enter the bios. The other setting wouldn't boot at all.

elesde
Level 10
0o that is weird indeed 😕
You do have the latest bios running I assume?
The trouble started when you enabled XMP on the RAM is that correct?

Could you post some screenshots of the extreme tweaker settings in bios (clocks / voltages) please?

Zabraxis
Level 7
Sorry for my late replay but i will get the screenshots for you and upload them.

This is my current setting which it runs stable at. Once i enable AMD Turbo CORE Technology. That's when i get a blue screen with the error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.

Zabraxis
Level 7

Zabraxis
Level 7
I forgot to mention but yes the problem started when i enabled XMP on the RAM.