cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some keys about installin fresh Windows 8.1 on purchased SSD and other questions

RIG_ROG
Level 7
Hi!
I'm got tired of slow HDD.
My G551JM laptop is wonderful for gaming, but slow disk is the bottleneck.
I have to reduce I\O operations before gaming, but Windows8.1 sometimes becomes making a lot of I\O operations
for unknown reasons.
Tomorrow I'm going to take Intel SSD 730 (480GB, SATA 3) which has 7mm width. Hope it will be okay to be inserted.

Things I want to know:
1) Is it easy to replace stock HDD with new SSD? 7mm or 2.5" is a standard size, yes?
2) Will I have to format new SSD as NTFS disk before installing Win8.1?
3) Will I need to make certain changes in BIOS settings in order to access SSD on bootloading? I\m confusing about AHCI setup,
why I need it (or not)?

I'm going to install a fresh Windows because I don't want to clone errors from HDD.
So:
4) Will I need to prepare partions (for example, to prepare recovery partition) myself or Windows8.1
installer is smart enough for simple installing with default features?
5) Will BIOS insert Serial License to new system on SSD automatically?

Also, I think about replacing DVD-ROM with stock HDD, will it be easy or not?

I'm asking these questions for saving future time, also I'm not professional on that things.
Thank in advance for help.
4 REPLIES 4

Sanctrum
Level 9
Extract your current Windows 8.1 key:
https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Backup-Windows-product-key-1a200645

50/50 chances that you will need it - depending of what kind of installation media you will use.

Sanctrum wrote:
Extract your current Windows 8.1 key:
https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Backup-Windows-product-key-1a200645

50/50 chances that you will need it - depending of what kind of installation media you will use.

Great thnx. That was useful link.
I made USB installer and it didn't require to enter license key while installing.

Clintlgm
Level 14
RIG_ROG wrote:
Hi!
I'm got tired of slow HDD.
My G551JM laptop is wonderful for gaming, but slow disk is the bottleneck.
I have to reduce I\O operations before gaming, but Windows8.1 sometimes becomes making a lot of I\O operations
for unknown reasons.
Tomorrow I'm going to take Intel SSD 730 (480GB, SATA 3) which has 7mm width. Hope it will be okay to be inserted.

2.5" format X 7mm thickness will work

Things I want to know:
1) Is it easy to replace stock HDD with new SSD? 7mm or 2.5" is a standard size, yes?
2) Will I have to format new SSD as NTFS disk before installing Win8.1?

There should be no reason to format your SSD I should come clean. and Window 8.1 UEFI should handle creating the partitions and format. Be sure your Install media is 64 Bit and UEFI.

3) Will I need to make certain changes in BIOS settings in order to access SSD on bootloading? I\m confusing about AHCI setup,
why I need it (or not)?

You already are running window 8.1 UEFI 64 bit, so there would be no reason to change anything in the BIOS

I'm going to install a fresh Windows because I don't want to clone errors from HDD.
So:

Macrium Reflect has been very reliable cloning Hard drive to SSD for at least since 2012

4) Will I need to prepare partions (for example, to prepare recovery partition) myself or Windows8.1
installer is smart enough for simple installing with default features?

Win 8.1 will set up partitions and formatting. Just Insure that you boot your install media UEFI DVD or UEFI USB

5) Will BIOS insert Serial License to new system on SSD automatically?

it will as long as your install media is 8.1 64 bit core
here is a link on clean installing win8.1 http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/?filter[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup

You would get your install ISO here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media unless you already have a good ISO

Get all you hardware drivers from Asus support Downloads

This old thread from the G75 forum will show you which driver to install first and which ones you need. While this was for G75 the procedures are the same just use the correct versions for your notebook.

Also, I think about replacing DVD-ROM with stock HDD, will it be easy or not?

I'm asking these questions for saving future time, also I'm not professional on that things.
Thank in advance for help.

You have all the insformation here to upgrade you notebook the the best upgrade you can give it.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

>2.5" format X 7mm thickness will work
I confirm it.

>There should be no reason to format your SSD I should come clean. and Window 8.1 UEFI should handle creating the partitions and format. Be sure your Install media is 64 Bit and UEFI.
100% coincidence. SSD's ready and operational from the first second of work of installation.

>You already are running window 8.1 UEFI 64 bit, so there would be no reason to change anything in the BIOS
That was right.

>You would get your install ISO here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media unless you already have a good ISO
Thank you for this link. I used it in order to make USB installer.

>Get all you hardware drivers from Asus support Downloads
I did it after installation, yes.

Much obliged to your useful comments. Switching HDD to SSD wasn't difficult, there are clear marks to unscrew screws on the laptop's bottom.