cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Backing up new ASUS ROG G751JY Image

rayrys
Level 7
I recently bought an ASUS ROG G751JY. It is configured with a 256GB SSD M.2 and 1 GB HDD with 24GB of RAM and Windows 8.1. I stress tested this machine for 3 days (CPU, GPU, and RAM). This thing is a beast! Here is my problem though: I downloaded Macrim Reflect Free, imaged my drives and tested image. So far no problem but then I downloaded ASUS backtracker and setup a recovery usb flash drive with it. When I went to test that, somehow I lost my ablility to access my drives in the bios. I could not recover any images I had made. If i had more time to mess with it I might have been able to fix it but I decided it was best to contact ASUS. They gave me an RMA and I shipped it to them via FedEX. I am in Mass and it took a week to reach California. It is currently in repair status. I guess my question is as follows: When I finally get it back from ASUS what should I do first to back up my system? I am obviously wary of backtracker so should I just use Macrim again, or should I do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and not worry about ASUS software? Thanks any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
Macrium should be all you need. I'm not real familiar with backtracker it should have worked. However Macrium should get you back to the spot you created the image! I'm not sure about this, but it almost sounds like the backtracker restored MBR instead of UEFI since your system is UEFI it might not recognize a booting MBR disk since its looking for a GPT boot disk? I could be way off base with this but it happen to me with the old Asus AI Recovery disk set. Did you leave your data disk install when you ran the restore with backtracker? to prevent your data disk from being formatted you need to take it out before running restore Backtracker?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

rayrys
Level 7
No I didn't remove the 1TB drive. I didn't know I was supposed to. I read about that after the fact in the forums. Thanks for the reply.

rayrys
Level 7
There was nothing on the data disc (1TB) to worry about though. My mistake was testing the backtraker sofware before I made a bootable dvd for Macrim.