cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75vw best buy model with windows 8 upgrade to ssd no recovery

mike929
Level 7
I just had an issue with my laptop ended up doing a reset. I had a 250 Samsung evo SSD so figured might as well make it my primary drive. I used the backtracker tool and have the SSD up and running but I do not have the recovery ( rebooted F9 ).

I also have a DVDRAM back up but can't boot from it do to not having a signature error.

What do I need to do in order to get the recovery to work? FYI - I already have a headache from all the redirects in this forum. I even gave my laptop to my hardware guy at work and all of his tools don't work because of either UEFI or GPT. He mentioned maybe would could try some Linux tools.

I would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Mike
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well you should have you upgrade 8 product key? if so download the latest 8.1 ISO from here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media. I think your original recovery partition was destroyed with the upgrade to window 8 and then again with 8.1 recovery partitions would have been created. Did you test your recovery DVD disk set after creating? that should put you back to windows 7 HP as shipped from factory.
These notebooks were sent out from the factory configured UEFI and disk were initialized GPT If somewhere along the line you converted to BIOS MBR that could be your issue. I'm sorry that your getting headache from the redirects. We don't have time to type out all the theory and procedures. Since this has aready be accomplishes and that is why we redirect you to that data. This thread was created out of multiple thread of all we had to learn using UEFI GPT all the work around and methods of clean installing our friend Rewben put it all togher in one thread for us.

Since then Microsoft has decided to let us download Clean ISO of Windows 8.1 that will activate with out windows 8 upgrade product keys I linked you to that web page.

I personally use Macrium Reflect to create images. That aside I don't really know to use the window 8.1 restore/refresh features but you can find that information on the window eight forum There are several threads there on how to restore or refresh windows 8 or 8.1

Again sorry about the redirects but if your AI Recovery DVD do not work that would leave you to clean install and , in the future use window Restore/refresh
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Well you should have you upgrade 8 product key? if so download the latest 8.1 ISO from here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media. I think your original recovery partition was destroyed with the upgrade to window 8 and then again with 8.1 recovery partitions would have been created. Did you test your recovery DVD disk set after creating? that should put you back to windows 7 HP as shipped from factory.
These notebooks were sent out from the factory configured UEFI and disk were initialized GPT If somewhere along the line you converted to BIOS MBR that could be your issue. I'm sorry that your getting headache from the redirects. We don't have time to type out all the theory and procedures. Since this has aready be accomplishes and that is why we redirect you to that data. This thread was created out of multiple thread of all we had to learn using UEFI GPT all the work around and methods of clean installing our friend Rewben put it all togher in one thread for us.

Since then Microsoft has decided to let us download Clean ISO of Windows 8.1 that will activate with out windows 8 upgrade product keys I linked you to that web page.

I personally use Macrium Reflect to create images. That aside I don't really know to use the window 8.1 restore/refresh features but you can find that information on the window eight forum There are several threads there on how to restore or refresh windows 8 or 8.1

Again sorry about the redirects but if your AI Recovery DVD do not work that would leave you to clean install and , in the future use window Restore/refresh

First and foremost thank you for the reply.

I don't have any disks. The key is built into the bios. My laptop came with Windows 8 already installed. When we tried dvdram it said we didn't have a digital signature. We also tried reflect. I'm using the laptop now but just don't have a recovery option on it.

I'm guessing the fresh install would be the route to take.

Thanks again

here is a link that show you how to use the built in Reset or refresh http://www.eightforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&...
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro