Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Setup for new G771 and samsung 250GB evo ssd, No OS?

    So, just got G771JW. It is 12GB ram, 1TB + 256GB ssd m.2 model. I also bought samsung 250GB evo ssd. No OS.

    My question is what to do first. Install OS on m.2 ssd (can that be done, some say it is not bootable) and the put in second ssd, or install ssd and then OS?

    What whith drivers? Do I use cd and then update or go straight for newest version download?

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,171

    Quote Originally Posted by arrdes View Post
    So, just got G771JW. It is 12GB ram, 1TB + 256GB ssd m.2 model. I also bought samsung 250GB evo ssd. No OS.

    My question is what to do first. Install OS on m.2 ssd (can that be done, some say it is not bootable) and the put in second ssd, or install ssd and then OS?

    What whith drivers? Do I use cd and then update or go straight for newest version download?
    I would go right for the newest drivers from Asus Support Downloads

    Yes if your notebook came with a M.2 SSD you should install your OS to that drive with out any other drives installed.
    You would be installing Windows UEFI
    If you need step by step installing this link will bring you to the best step by step tutorials
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Thank you for your advice.

    Did everything like you said and now i am amazed by my new "toy"

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,171

    Thanks for letting us know it all worked out. Have fun
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    20

    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    I would go right for the newest drivers from Asus Support Downloads

    Yes if your notebook came with a M.2 SSD you should install your OS to that drive with out any other drives installed.
    You would be installing Windows UEFI
    If you need step by step installing this link will bring you to the best step by step tutorials
    I'm in a similar position as the OP. Only I have used my PC for some months and I have a lot of data on the 1TB HDD my G771JW came with. Today I'll be reinstalling Win 10 on my new SSD with UEFI mode.

    Is it necessary to remove my 1TB data drive before doing the installation? I mean, I'm not gonna install windows on it, is there a reason for removing it? Will installing in UEFI mode wipe all drives? Sorry if it is a dumb question, I'm just wondering as I've never done a UEFI install before.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    612

    Is this a brand new ssd that has never had an OS before? Was the OS installed on the 1TB? I suggest you read my walkthrough here to explain how you need to upgrade and then clean install
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l-simple-guide
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    20

    Quote Originally Posted by aeolisio View Post
    Is this a brand new ssd that has never had an OS before? Was the OS installed on the 1TB? I suggest you read my walkthrough here to explain how you need to upgrade and then clean install
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l-simple-guide
    Yes, brand new.

    The 1TB drive never contained an OS, my notebook was without OS. I installed my retail copy of Win 8.1 on my old SSD, which is now getting replaced.

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    612

    you need to upgrade to windows 10 first or call microsoft and have them upgrade your key to enable that retail key to use windows 10 on a clean install follow the instructions on the other thread and ask questions there if you have issues.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    20

    Quote Originally Posted by aeolisio View Post
    you need to upgrade to windows 10 first or call microsoft and have them upgrade your key to enable that retail key to use windows 10 on a clean install follow the instructions on the other thread and ask questions there if you have issues.
    I already upgraded yesterday on my existing ssd. I know how to do a clean install mate, I'm just wondering whether it is necessary to remove my second HDD while doing a UEFI install on my new SSD.

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    612

    No its recommended but not required.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •