cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How you guys manage your Pc data.? Just went through a HD failure.

amirzubair80
Level 9
Hi there guys I wanted to ask how you guys manage your pc data. Back up to external drive on regular basis. How you manage it.?

Just went through a HD failure. Just wanted to know how I can prevent future data loss.
9 REPLIES 9

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hi amirzubair80,
Here's how I have my desktop rig setup (currently shown in "PC Specs"). There are (2) 120GB Seagate Barracuda HDD's (10 yrs. old now), with (2) OS's (XP Home X86, XP Pro X86 on 1 HDD & Win 7 Home X86, Win 7 Ultimate X64 on the other HDD) running in a multi-boot configuration using "XOSL2" as the boot loader installed to a small 40MB Fat32 partition on the first HDD indicated (Microsofts solution for multi-boot is really lame - that's for an another topic). The 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (about 6 yrs. old) has (7) partitions. 1st partition is where all the games are installed to. 2nd partition is used as a work shop (video & audio rendering / editing, OS integrations ... etc. The next 4 partitions has saved files such as videos, music, programs & applications, office work and etc separated in those partitions. And the last partition is used for image back-ups of the OS partitions using "Acronis True Image". I never keep anything stored with the OS's. Anything in the "documents", "music", "video", "pictures", & "downloads" folder are copied &/or moved to their appropriate partition & folder on the 1TB HDD. As far as my laptop, everything worth saving is copied to the 1TB HDD as well, or on a USB Stick.
May not be the best solution, but haven't lost anything in the past 10yrs or so. And I've always used a good quality "Uninterruptible Power Supply"

As to your question on using an "External Drive" for back-ups of files, that would be a good solution as they're not expensive, and the same with a USB Stick (128GB is going for around $35 - $50 on Amazon) as it depends on the capacity you need. And it's not as complex as my solution, especially since I primarily use a desktop with room for multiple HDD's. You can do a back-up manually for just personal files organized in easy to maintain folders on the external device, or use the built in "Back-up & Restore Utility" within windows depending on the OS your using.
Hope this helps.

navis995
Level 11
I don't have any backups because a disk never died on me yet O:

I always pay attention to Crystal Info here and there so if something is dying I'll know way ahead of it.

You just need to take care of it and it will be fine but of course no care will be enough if you get a damaged disk already 😞
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

navis995 wrote:
I don't have any backups because a disk never died on me yet O:

I always pay attention to Crystal Info here and there so if something is dying I'll know way ahead of it.

You just need to take care of it and it will be fine but of course no care will be enough if you get a damaged disk already 😞

Everything was fine with my HD too. But one day it just died without any warnings. I had installed few programs to check the health of HD they were reporting Good Health.

amirzubair80 wrote:
Everything was fine with my HD too. But one day it just died without any warnings. I had installed few programs to check the health of HD they were reporting Good Health.

amirzubair80, yup, that's how it happens, unexpectedly. 😞

The Core OS install is first to create / backup. So you can recover to "Bare Metal" the OS/configuration quickly to have a good base to reload all of your apps - often it isn't a hardware failure that requires the reinstall - it could be a virus/corruption cause from an application install - so your last full backup might be problematic.

It's good to have a clean OS installer - like Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB bootable flash recovery on hand for quick restore to out of the box configuration.

Then I do all the Windows updates and driver updates to get it to the point of completely up to date, then save an image backup I can restore to get back to an application install point. I use Macrium Reflect.

Then I install all the apps, games, tweaks and tunings, and do another image backup I can restore later.

Then as you go a weekly image backup that you can restore to, that you rollover every month or so - you delete the oldest and save the newest - with your Bare Metal OS install, OS Updated image, and base application/configuration/tunings image held long term. I also keep a full image or so over time as I have a particularly good configuration point - like after a new OS release.

Also, I keep all documents, projects, work in progress (WIP) and downloads on an external drive with simple copy/cut/paste to make sure I can move my working material between computers easily. Backup programs insert a level of indirection I have found frustrating to go through during a high priority restore - I just need my stuff and I don't want to waste time reinstalling backup/restore software and configuring it to find / extract their proprietary backups. If I use them, and I do for my daytime job, I also make sure I have a wad of the most important stuff backed up on a NFS/SMB/SAN volume for quick restore - so I can get right back to work.

When I move on to another computer/laptop, I keep around the specific items, images, pictures, downloads/drivers specific to maintaining that model, it comes in handy often for helping people at work and online - a nice archive of solution references 🙂

Any backup is better than no backup, my method is kinda standard - I do backups for my day job as well - but the principle is the same - backup anything that would take you more time to recreate than you can afford to spend if a failure occurs - Business / Gaming Continuity is paramount 😉

Be sure and get Asus/vendor to replace the dead drive. If you bought it yourself you can RMA it to the drive maker, if it came with a computer/laptop it is OEM'd through to them and the computer/laptop maker will need to replace it.

Sorry to hear about your loss, you will *recover* 🙂

amirzubair80
Level 9
Thanks hmscott, ntwlf

amirzubair80
Level 9
what about syncing software like goodsync, allwaysync?

I keep an image of my system partition on a 128GB SD card, and a bootable small usb stick with my recovery software on.

So I have an "always with me" full system recovery facility.

I also use a 7TB NAS (raid 1) on which I backup my (non system) partitions, mostly mp3 and video...

Works for me!
G750JW-T4041H | i7-4700HQ | 1 x 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 2 x Samsung 2TB HDD | 32GB Crucial Ram.

Korth
Level 14
Test your backup system. That is, make a real attempt to restore all the data you've backed up. I've encountered countless horror stories where people adhered to a good backup strategy and at the last moment (when they actually needed it) found they'd done things wrong or were halted by unexpected software issues. I'm a big fan of offsite redundancy - having all your backup drives sitting in the same chassis won't help if your computer is stolen, having all your burned discs in a nearby drawer won't help if your home is wrecked.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

amirzubair80
Level 9
Thanks guys, nice suggestions. I wish i had done that before the loss. 😞