cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Rig for Recording gameplay @4k single display, or 5760x1080, and recording.

Northforge
Level 8
My intention is to record gameplay @4k on a single monitor, or run games on triple 1920x1080 and video capture main screen and cam at the same time, and edit video using Adobe Premiere on a professional level.

Already Acquired Parts
Speakers - - Klipsch 2.1
Headset - - MadCatz F.R.E.Q. 9
Mouse - - MadCatz MMO TE <- RMA >:[
KB - - MadCatz STRIKE TE <- RMA >:[
Chair - - Herman Miller Fully Loaded Aeron

Chosen Parts
CPU - - Intel Core i7-5960X @ 3.00GHz Extreme Edition
RAM - - 4x 8GB Gskill Ripjaws4 DDR4 2400 F4-2400C15Q-32GRK
MBO - - Asus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1
GPU - - (2-stage build. One 4GB card first. 6-8GB SLI when they are sold)
PSU - - SeaSonic Platinum - 1200 (SS-1200XP3)
SSD - - Intel SSD 750 400GB for OS
SSD - - Intel SSD 750 400GB for Star Citizen
HDD - - Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB (#1)
HDD - - Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB (#2)
OS - - Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit [OEM]
Case - - Caselabs Magnum M10
Display - - (2-stage build. One display first, then +2 of the same later)
Display stand - - Obutto Revolution Triple Monitor Mount
Liquid Cooler - -
Sound - - Integrated SupremeFX 2014
Audio capture - -
Video capture - -
Green Screen backdrop - -
Soundproofing - -
11 REPLIES 11

Antronman
Level 10
Liquid cooling?

Custom loop is for fun, I might be able to quote one later.

If you don't want a custom loop, grab the EKWB 360mm kit. Except buy Phobya tubing.

For video capture, go software based. Buy Camtasia. Best you can get. If the editing capabilities aren't enough, you can always pick up APP.

Tower, I'd go for the Phanteks Enthoo Primo if you don't want a custom loop, if you do want a custom loop grab a Caselabs.

Definetly not enough videocard power. Go for two or three of those, or if you want to save a few dollars and still get rip-roaring performance, pick up 3 R9 290xs.

Toshiba is just gross. They're a sleazy, horrible company with a bad rep for terrible QC. Seagate all the way.

For a system like this, you'll want a Seasonic platinum PSU.

Don't get the 5960x, 5820k will be more than enough.

Thrusmaster Warthog for HOTAS.

Not enough time to find a good 4k gaming panel, maybe later. The new ASUS one is supposed to have a 1ms response time.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
Liquid cooling?

Custom loop is for fun, I might be able to quote one later.

If you don't want a custom loop, grab the EKWB 360mm kit. Except buy Phobya tubing.

For video capture, go software based. Buy Camtasia. Best you can get. If the editing capabilities aren't enough, you can always pick up APP.

Tower, I'd go for the Phanteks Enthoo Primo if you don't want a custom loop, if you do want a custom loop grab a Caselabs.

Definetly not enough videocard power. Go for two or three of those, or if you want to save a few dollars and still get rip-roaring performance, pick up 3 R9 290xs.

Toshiba is just gross. They're a sleazy, horrible company with a bad rep for terrible QC. Seagate all the way.

For a system like this, you'll want a Seasonic platinum PSU.

Don't get the 5960x, 5820k will be more than enough.

Thrusmaster Warthog for HOTAS.

Not enough time to find a good 4k gaming panel, maybe later. The new ASUS one is supposed to have a 1ms response time.

I definitely look forward to your return and continuation. Please note that I only hope to be 4k capable on one monitor and normal 1920x1080 on triple monitors. I believe one 980 can handle that. Down the road, I do plan on picking up more GPU, so I really should get something like the Seasonic Platinum you mentioned. http://www.seasonicusa.com/Platinum_Series_XP3.htm

1ms? Please note that all monitors must be IPS.

Your custom loop advice. I have never attempted liquid cooling before. I need to with this rig. I'm willing!

Caselabs looks good. Some of the box-like ones suggest there's good room for better temp management with a dozen fans, and large cooling parts. Plus it'd look pretty badass!

Please resume when you have time. I'm on the edge of my seat already.

kkn
Level 14
2x 980's to get close to 4k as possible.

kkn wrote:
2x 980's to get close to 4k as possible.

That is a future goal, but for now I plan to game and record in 4k on a single monitor, or triple monitors at a calm 1920 x 1080 on each.

Northforge wrote:
That is a future goal, but for now I plan to game and record in 4k on a single monitor, or triple monitors at a calm 1920 x 1080 on each.

a single 980 cant do 4K properly.

http://www.tomshardware.de/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-gtx-980-roundup-vergleichstest,testberichte-241658...

Northforge
Level 8
I fully plan to go SLI, but for the build let's just stick with one 4GB 980. Once 6GB and 8GB 980's hit the floor, I'll be swapping out the single 4GB card anyway. This essentially will be a 2-stage build.

I've reworked my original post and intention description.

Liquid Cooler
- XSPC Liquid Cooling Specific ?
- Cooler Master Nepton 280XL Aluminum Radiator Dual 144mm Fan Rifle Bearing CPU Water Cooling Kit ?

I'm leaning towards Cooler Master Nepton 280XL, but again I have never attempted liquid cooling before.

For today, my attention is on websearching audio capture devices.

Audio capture (mic) professional level
- ?

Video capture (professional level)
- ?

Finally, how might I incorporate Thunderbolt 2.0 into this rig?

Korth
Level 14
You might want to plan for a 2-SLI Titan X or 3-SLI 980 setup, I think, that's a lot of resolution. And I hate to say this here - but you might want to look at the MSI X99 Gaming mobos for this build, I understand they include some dedicated on-board streaming hardware (for live gameplay broadcasts and such) which might be useful for your purposes.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Northforge
Level 8
Fully plan on an SLI setup, in the future.

I've compared Asus x99 (rampage extreme) to MSI's x99 mobos. They don't seem to have any edge over Asus for my purposes. But I'll keep comparing. Plus I have no intention of live-play streaming. Just recording to local disk while playing onine. I plan to record and produce edited content. Not twitch stuff.

https://gaming.msi.com/products/motherboard/x99-series
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREMEU31/

Antronman
Level 10
I'm telling you, you need SLI NOW.

The i7-5960x is a cool toy which will not net you any more real world performance, and just cost you an extra $600 on useless crap which could have been spent on useful components.

2x980s or 3x290xs as a minmum for 4k gaming. Otherwise there won't be a single modern game you can play at 4k on even medium settings and get a consistent 60fps.

Think of it like this: 5960x and one 980 is a Porsche GT3, 5820k and two 980s is a custom-built bigtire, top-of-the-line dragster. Both would cost you the same, both would be really nice cars. But your goal isn't to finish the nurburgring, it's to finish the quarter mile in 5 seconds or less. The custom bigtire will provide you a lot more, since it has a larger tire, and way, way more horsepower and torque.

I guess it's ultimately your choice.

Again, I would not recommend hardware based capture but software based. Camtasia is a recording and editing suite, for $150. Amazing piece of software, many very big youtubers have attested to the quality. I would not use FRAPS for recording. It takes beautiful screenshots, but the recording feature is poorly programmed and prone to crashing, and unless you're on a tight budget (which you're clearly not) is better to say away from.

If you want a great microphone, look no further than the Blue Yeti. Make sure to buy the pop filter as well.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me