cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files are multiplying!? O.o

TiemPul
Level 7
Hi eveyrone,

I have recently discovered that certain files on my SSD Drive, as well as on my backup USB have been doubled, tripled, even quadrupled. Mostly pictures and documents in my University folders. Does anybody have th eslightest idea what could be causing this?
I'm running two SSD drives, one for Windows and my personal files, the other one for games and I'm using a 64GB low-profile USB Stick to backup my personal files via Windows FileHistory. Up until now this worked fine and dandy.

Thank you for your help!
Tim
3 REPLIES 3

hmscott
Level 12
TiemPul wrote:
Hi eveyrone,

I have recently discovered that certain files on my SSD Drive, as well as on my backup USB have been doubled, tripled, even quadrupled. Mostly pictures and documents in my University folders. Does anybody have th eslightest idea what could be causing this?
I'm running two SSD drives, one for Windows and my personal files, the other one for games and I'm using a 64GB low-profile USB Stick to backup my personal files via Windows FileHistory. Up until now this worked fine and dandy.
Thank you for your help!
Tim

TiemPul, doubling in file size, or in numbers of files? Are there duplicates for files already written, like filename and filename(1) and filename(3) - that happens when you save a file of the same name - the app is making a unique name for the file.

Have you looked at specific files to see what is changed, added, duplicated?

A little more detail, please 🙂

They're the exact same files with different dates behind them.
Happens for .pdf, Word documents and pictures, but not all of them 😕

TiemPul wrote:
They're the exact same files with different dates behind them.
Happens for .pdf, Word documents and pictures, but not all of them 😕

TiemPul, are you using someone elses computer, or did you let someone use your computer?

A Time/Date is being added to your files automatically - and since the OS doesn't do that, it must be a setting in the application. I would go through those applications and find the Document / Save / Versioning section(s) and look for an option to add Time/Date stamps to files.

And, I noticed in Adobe Reader XI there is an option to autosave every 5 minutes, must be a default setting as I didn't enable it - in fact I just disabled it - so if that is enabled for your apps and the Date/Time stamp is enabled too, even if you are just reading/opening those files they might be saving a new Date/Time stamped version everytime to keep them open past the autosave timeout.

Ask whoever set up your computer, configured the apps for you, to please turn it off - if you can't find the settings to disable yourself.

Please come back and let us know what settings you needed to turn off 🙂