cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Blue Screens after upgrading to Windows 8.1, G750JW-DB71-CA

StormCloud
Level 7
I used the free upgrade from windows 8, to 8.1, and ever since I have had DAILY Blue Screens.

The reasons have varried from CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION, to MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and a bunch of others that have happened while I was asleep.

This is really starting to worry me, please help.
4 REPLIES 4

hmscott
Level 12
StormCloud wrote:
I used the free upgrade from windows 8, to 8.1, and ever since I have had DAILY Blue Screens.

The reasons have varried from CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION, to MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and a bunch of others that have happened while I was asleep.

This is really starting to worry me, please help.

StormCloud, the upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 requires installing new drivers downloaded from Asus. Look at what device drivers you have installed in your Programs and Features control panel, and then search for similarly named packages with newer versions.

Asus doesn't do a good job of updating download areas unless the device is new. After a while you need to hunt down the new drivers by visiting the support areas for newly released hardware using the same components. Either new laptops in the same series, like the G750, or now venture in to the G751 support areas.

Asus also maintains central support areas by component. New releases get uploaded there, sometimes easier to find the newest release in these central support areas - but read down the list of releases - Asus often uploads older versions after newer versions have been posted - sometimes you will find the newest version is down the list behind older versions that have been uploaded later - always go with the highest version number, not the newest dated upload.

Asus G751 Support / Download areas
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55572-Asus-G751-Support-Download-areas&p=473863&viewfull=1#...

Updating the ethernet, BT, Wifi, chipset driver, etc will all contribute to the stability of the laptop. Also update to the newest Nvidia driver from Nvidia, but get the latest Realtek driver from Asus 🙂

Have fun, and let us know how it works out 🙂

hmscott wrote:
StormCloud, the upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 requires installing new drivers downloaded from Asus. Look at what device drivers you have installed in your Programs and Features control panel, and then search for similarly named packages with newer versions.

Asus doesn't do a good job of updating download areas unless the device is new. After a while you need to hunt down the new drivers by visiting the support areas for newly released hardware using the same components. Either new laptops in the same series, like the G750, or now venture in to the G751 support areas.

Asus also maintains central support areas by component. New releases get uploaded there, sometimes easier to find the newest release in these central support areas - but read down the list of releases - Asus often uploads older versions after newer versions have been posted - sometimes you will find the newest version is down the list behind older versions that have been uploaded later - always go with the highest version number, not the newest dated upload.

Asus G751 Support / Download areas
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55572-Asus-G751-Support-Download-areas&p=473863&viewfull=1#...

Updating the ethernet, BT, Wifi, chipset driver, etc will all contribute to the stability of the laptop. Also update to the newest Nvidia driver from Nvidia, but get the latest Realtek driver from Asus 🙂

Have fun, and let us know how it works out 🙂

Well the page for the G750JW, has drivers for Windows 8.1, so I think I'll try those first. Should I just download the latest version of everything on the page?
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=521&m=G750JW&os=41&hashedid=w5ZFxIpLeKBoVab...

StormCloud wrote:
Well the page for the G750JW, has drivers for Windows 8.1, so I think I'll try those first. Should I just download the latest version of everything on the page?
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=521&m=G750JW&os=41&hashedid=w5ZFxIpLeKBoVab...

StormCloud, the JW page has old drivers, most haven't been updated since 2013, although some come from mid 2014... I would really make your list of what to upgrade from your Programs and Features list - get the name / version number, then start clicking through the central locations and/or the newest G751JY/JL and G750JY support areas.

I know it doesn't make a lot sense for Asus to abandon updating older laptop support areas, but they do.

The newer the better, and installing the newest you can find once and be done with it rather than updating to a mid range newer version then discovering you still aren't stable and need to dip back and get newer drivers on a 2nd or even third foray into the support areas.

Better to do it with newest drivers the first time.

Something to consider is that Windows 8.1 has gone through a lot of updates and patches, and vendors have had to issue new driver builds to match those updates - if you get an older driver it will be updated for a downrev/older version of Windows.

Have fun 🙂

hmscott wrote:
StormCloud, the JW page has old drivers, most haven't been updated since 2013, although some come from mid 2014... I would really make your list of what to upgrade from your Programs and Features list - get the name / version number, then start clicking through the central locations and/or the newest G751JY/JL and G750JY support areas.

I know it doesn't make a lot sense for Asus to abandon updating older laptop support areas, but they do.

The newer the better, and installing the newest you can find once and be done with it rather than updating to a mid range newer version then discovering you still aren't stable and need to dip back and get newer drivers on a 2nd or even third foray into the support areas.

Better to do it with newest drivers the first time.

Something to consider is that Windows 8.1 has gone through a lot of updates and patches, and vendors have had to issue new driver builds to match those updates - if you get an older driver it will be updated for a downrev/older version of Windows.

Have fun 🙂

Well It's been 3 days without a problem with them, so the difference between the windows 8 drivers, and the 2 year old windows 8.1 drivers is pretty evident. If more problems arise I'll look for the more update drivers, but for now, I can rely on this thing again.
Though given how I tend to try to keep my machines running for as long as I can, (last one made it about 5 years I think) I'm probably gonna need the links to the component specific page you mentioned.