cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750jh overheating (gpu)

karmeck
Level 7
So trying to play Gta v here using nvidia optimized settings and my gpu (780m 4gb) goes to 90 and jumps around there between 88 and 90c same thing happens using furmark and unique heaven.

I have msi afterburner but feels wrong if i have to underclock a computer that was built for this.

I have never oc'd and I seen other who can witch make me think there is something wrong with my gpu.

Computer was bought in 2014 January, were rma'd once for faulty batter witch was replaced.

Had the problem with my cpu witch I fixed using the power management trick setting the minimum to 5% and maximum to 80% and that is keeping it below 80 now during load.

The computer stands on a table and fans is directed away from the wall into the room. Right now i have 22C in my apartment.

Now what are my options? Rma or is there a way for me using software to make it easier for my gpu.

im using the 350.12 drivers for nootbooks windows 8.1 64bit
9 REPLIES 9

sasuke256
Level 7
repaste the gpu/cpu, it will be ultra cool 🙂
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

hmscott
Level 12
karmeck wrote:
So trying to play Gta v here using nvidia optimized settings and my gpu (780m 4gb) goes to 90 and jumps around there between 88 and 90c same thing happens using furmark and unique heaven.

I have msi afterburner but feels wrong if i have to underclock a computer that was built for this.

I have never oc'd and I seen other who can witch make me think there is something wrong with my gpu.

Computer was bought in 2014 January, were rma'd once for faulty batter witch was replaced.

Had the problem with my cpu witch I fixed using the power management trick setting the minimum to 5% and maximum to 80% and that is keeping it below 80 now during load.

The computer stands on a table and fans is directed away from the wall into the room. Right now i have 22C in my apartment.

Now what are my options? Rma or is there a way for me using software to make it easier for my gpu.

im using the 350.12 drivers for nootbooks windows 8.1 64bit

karmeck, those temps are pretty high, both CPU and GPU. You shouldn't need to underclock the CPU to keep the temps at an acceptable level.

My G750JH maxes out at about 85c CPU and 85c GPU under 100% simultaneous load with full OC on both CPU/GPU... and I haven't repasted. I have had the G750JH for about 17 months (almost time to upgrade!) and temps haven't gone up over that time.

Since both your CPU and GPU are high, I would think there is a common cause across both. I find it hard to believe both paste jobs went south at the same time - usually it is either one or the other that goes hot, not both at the same time.

Were your temps lower when it was new?

Do you have pets that shed hair? Cat / Dog hair can clog up the cooling system and really cut into cooling efficiency - much more than just dust.

If you are still under warranty, you could ask Asus to clean it out and re-paste if they think that is needed - hot even after cleaning.

The G750JH has great cooling, and no Optimus, so it has the lowest CPU temps of all the G750 series - they all have the same wattage CPU.

If you have always had high temps, then definitely RMA to Asus and work with them to solve the cooling problem(s).

Also, you may be down-clocking a bit too far with your Power plan processor settings. 0% is ok for Min, and 99% should be enough for Max - that value triggers disabling of the Turbo mode - runs no faster than the stock 2.4ghz.

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

karmeck
Level 7
I bought this computer from someone else that did have animals in the house. It is my understanding asus have a 2 years warranty. So I can go to the store he bought it from and have them send it to asus. Temps outside games are fine tho, with gpu at 40 and cpu a bit lower.

Thank you for responding.

karmeck
Level 7
Sent in to asus. Will report back then I have it.

karmeck wrote:
Sent in to asus. Will report back then I have it.

karmeck, that's great news, glad to hear you still have warranty coverage and can get it fixed by Asus 🙂

Even if you were to be past warranty, Asus is pretty good about doing the repairs and charging a small fee for repair.

It's worth it to have Asus do the repairs as quite often non-Asus repair shops just don't have the breadth of experience with Asus products to make the repair and do the software reinstall correctly, we get horror stories about those instances here occasionally.

I look forward to hear how it goes 🙂

karmeck
Level 7
computer is back and i just finished a 3h session with gta 5. max temp was 77 but it keeps jumping back and forth from 68 to 75 most of the time.

they cleaned it 50 bux and changed the past under warranty.

karmeck wrote:
computer is back and i just finished a 3h session with gta 5. max temp was 77 but it keeps jumping back and forth from 68 to 75 most of the time.
they cleaned it 50 bux and changed the past under warranty.

karmeck, wow, you are lucky to have an Asus service center nearby and have it respond so quickly.

Did they say how dusty it was inside?

Those temps are great, you got a good fix 🙂

karmeck
Level 7
They did not tell me how it looked inside and it was not sent to asus, it was sent to InfoCare a company that take moste repairs here if I understand right.

karmeck wrote:
They did not tell me how it looked inside and it was not sent to asus, it was sent to InfoCare a company that take moste repairs here if I understand right.

karmeck, the key thing is that it is an Asus Approved vendor for warranty work, so your warranty is still intact.

Glad to hear it work out well and quickly. 🙂