cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme delayed BIOS post

NEmpire95
Level 7
Hi, I recently built a gaiming pc using the Rampage V Extreme. Everything went well until I noticed that it takes a good 20-40 seconds for the BIOS to post. I have since tried everything from updating drivers and the bios itself, to unplugging sata cables from my ssd and plugging them elsewhere. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

My specs are:
CPU: i7 5930k
Motherboard: Rampage V Extreme
GPU: Asus Strix 980
RAM: Corsair Veangeance LPX 16gb
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
I also have the NZXT Kraken x61 as my cpu cooler if that matters at all.

Thanks, any feedback is appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey

Unplug everything. All that is unnecassary (extra hds, cdrom, monitoring things, usb etc, sound cards) only leave boot drive and 1 ram dimm. If it still does it well we'll cross the bridge when we get there if it doesn't slowly work your way up by adding hardware and rebooting every single time you plug something. This way you'll find the culprit. I know you updated the bios, but try to clear cmos just in case. You could also tell us whee the bios stalls (qcode) it would be helpful. The Q-code display (in case you do not know) is the 2-digit little display on the upper right corner of the board.

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Hey thanks for responding, I have tested the dimm stick by stick and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I have also swapped psu's and cables along with even swapping my mobo and gpu (motherboard was a huge pain to swap out) I have run several tests my CPU as well and it passes with flying colors... but still the same problem persists. As for the Q-code it seems to jump through about 15 of them before booting with "AA" or "44", although it sometimes hangs a little on "6d" "64" and a couple others. Also this might be worth noting, if I reboot the computer it posts within 3-5 seconds... Cold boots are what last for 30+. Also the first time I ever turned on my pc it booted and shut down twice before booting, but that problem hasn't really accrued since.
Thanks again, any thoughts?

Chino
Level 15
NEmpire95 wrote:
Everything went well until I noticed that it takes a good 20-40 seconds for the BIOS to post..

Are you referring to the time it takes for you to see the ASUS logo? Or the time it takes to load the UEFI BIOS when you hit DEL?

And I am referring to how long it takes from when I hit the power button on my mobo or case, to when a picture/rog logo shows up on my monitor.

CMK16GX4M4A2666C15R

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666mhz

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey

1. The booting and shutting down on first post of the system (even on bios updates) is normal, system is setting up. My comp also did it.
2. What bios setting are you using ? Try using only "optimized defaults" for now on.
3. Disable xmp if it is enabled for now.

Try again ;), remember, as stock as it is humanly possible 😉

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Hi, I restored all defaults and disabled X.M.P. so my RAM is now set to 2133mhz but still no change. I press the power and the fans turn on and the mobo runs through several Q-codes but it still takes a good 20 seconds for anything to show up on my monitor. I also unplugged everything but my boot drive again and still the same outcome. I have absolutly no idea why it takes so long, do you have any other ideas about what could be the cause?
Thanks again!

Praz
Level 13
Hello

What is the Q-code displayed during the pause?