cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to Remove G501 case badge/rog logo?

nah2015
Level 7
Hello everybody, I hope I am not posting this thread where it shouldn't be. I'm seriously considering purchasing a G501 from newegg and one of the tiniest things is bothering me about making the purchase.

I am a creative professional and need a powerful mobile station that is also thin and mobile that will allow me to run photoshop, illustrator, premier and a number of other programs simultaneously, as well as be able to handle audio engineering with many VSTs running at one time and 4k video editing. The G501 would be a perfect fit for my needs and right within my price range.

Unfortunately, even though I will probably be doing a little gaming here and there, I dont want to be walking into my meetings with a laptop that says anything but "business" when people see it.

So I am wondering if it is at all possible to remove the badge on the top of the laptop that says "Republic of Gamers". It looks like its just a highly adhesive badge and could be removed, but I also fear this would immediately void any warranty.

Anybody have any insight into this? I would greatly appreciate it!
7 REPLIES 7

leognam
Level 7
This is verbatim the only thing stopping me from buying it. I have an older G53J at the moment which has a similar logo on the back, but it's etched into the lid itself, not backlit, and much harder to see, but the obnoxious bright red on the G501 is way too gaudy for what I'm willing to drop that kind of money on. It may sound silly, but at this price range a major selling point is the build quality and aesthetic presentation - and this is a huge point against it in the latter category.

It is otherwise the perfect laptop for my needs.

cajun_azn
Level 7
For those of you who dislike the ROG logo, there is a very similar model: UX501 but I do not know its availability.

nah2015
Level 7
I may get a UX501 but I do like the colorway of the G501, I just dont want the words "Republic of Gamers" on the case of the laptop whenever I am at work. Since I will be dealing with rich 20 something apple product snobs on the daily I would also like to distance myself from the standard Mac book colorway that the UX501 would most surely be likened to.

I know this is quite the pressing first world problem but I see no reason why removing the ROG case badge would be an issue, if it is simply an adhesive.

Perhaps make a black version of the UX501 🙂

leognam
Level 7
My only concern with the UX501 is that it has the 2 GB GTX960 instead of the 4 GB that's in the G501. It would be an unfortunate compromise to lose out on some specs future-proofing (especially with the 4k screen) in order to have it read as a 'work' laptop instead of entertainment. That said, I'm not actually familiar enough with the 960M in particular to know if memory throttling would even be an issue for it, so it may be a moot point.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
nah2015 wrote:

So I am wondering if it is at all possible to remove the badge on the top of the laptop that says "Republic of Gamers". It looks like its just a highly adhesive badge and could be removed, but I also fear this would immediately void any warranty.

Hi,

Not sure if this will work for you, but if you have any 'stickers' you can use, consider just covering up whatever you don't want to be seen on the top of the notebook/LCD backcover?

I've seen customers personalize their notebooks this way (they don't always cover the ASUS logo, of course) and there are even 'skins' for notebooks available from third parties.

You may also want to confirm with your local ASUS support, but as long as the serial number label (which is also displayed in the notebook bios) under the notebook can be seen, you should be fine with warranty.

With a sticker you can remove it too in case you ever decide to sell it?

Well, hope this helps.

cl-Albert wrote:
Hi,

Not sure if this will work for you, but if you have any 'stickers' you can use, consider just covering up whatever you don't want to be seen on the top of the notebook/LCD backcover?

I've seen customers personalize their notebooks this way (they don't always cover the ASUS logo, of course) and there are even 'skins' for notebooks available from third parties.

You may also want to confirm with your local ASUS support, but as long as the serial number label (which is also displayed in the notebook bios) under the notebook can be seen, you should be fine with warranty.

With a sticker you can remove it too in case you ever decide to sell it?

Well, hope this helps.

Great idea! Get some skins for your laptop!

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
J82 wrote:
Great idea! Get some skins for your laptop!

Sorry, probably worrying too much again, but wanted to mention a couple more things below.

1. If it matters, ASUS probably has not officially approved any notebook 'skins', so just make sure everything looks okay if you try it and no vents are blocked.

2. Also, don't know that a lot of people are selling notebook 'skins' for ASUS notebooks, so you might need to look around or do your own customizing with what is available if necessary.
Haven't really looked into this very much on my end though, so hopefully others have more info about it.