cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE Need for Speed - Noobie Needs Help

maxcellerate
Level 7
Well, new to OC'ing anyway.
The problem is when I go for RIVE's preset gamer's OC (4700mhz on 1st core, which does show great improvement in Photoshop brushes) it doesn't OC the memory, which still runs at 1333mhz. If I use the XMP to O, the memory it runs at 2400mhz, but the processor reverts to stock (3960x).

Does anyone have a 'step by step how to' on how to get the processor AND memory run near MAX?
Or is that not an option.

Coolin is Corsair H100i in push/pull with bitfenix spectre pros.
Memory is GSkill 64 gb kit.
SSD's are samsung 840 pro's.
graphics nvida titan.

I don't want to fry the processor, but if I could get the brush stroke nearer to the cursor and not 3sec behind, that would be great.
I've done all I can to optomise Photoshop and read the intro OC guide here; which lead me to believe the XMP would sort it. Sadly not.
Please help.

MaxCellerate
various boxes of expensive junk some of which still work
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hello Maxcellerate

Are you able to enable XMP then overclock your cpu manually?

I don't know how. I should think I could, do you have some safe but fast setting for the cpu?

Nate152
Yeah it's pretty easy all you really need to do to overclock your cpu is raise the multiplier and the cpu core voltage.

Download ROG cpu-z this will help.

Enable XMP on the ai overclock tuner, sync all cores (this will run all cores at the same speed) and set the cpu core ratio to 45 then F10 and enter to save and exit. Once in windows open up cpu-z and run a stress test, play a game or open photoshop. Take a look at cpu-z and see what the core voltage is then go back into the bios and set the cpu core voltage manually. Give it an extra .02v to ensure stability. So if cpu - z is showing 1.30v set the cpu core voltage in the bios to 1.32v

Give this a try and see how you go, Start at 4.5GHz and work up to 4.7GHz. keep an eye on your temps you don't want to see over 70c with your cpu. The temperature controls how far you can overclock it.

maxcellerate
Level 7
So is that the way round to do it? I don't need all cores running at the same speed. Photoshop's brush routine isn't multi-threaded. If OC'ing all cores results in more heat and lower 1st core speed, then that's a bad thing. The first core is already running at 4.7ghz with the gamer's preset. It's the memory I need to OC. I suspect lack of memory bandwidth is limiting the cpu which is running pretty much as fast as I'd like to risk it.

Nate152
You can set the ram manually too, you can leave it like it is with the first core at 4.7GHz.

Set the preset on the extreme tweaker tab for your 4.7GHz overclock. Set the Dram frequency to 2400, scroll down and enter the Dram voltage, I'm not sure what it is for your particular kit, it will say on each ram stick or you can look it up if you're not sure

Then go to Dram timing control and enter in the first 4 timings at the top of your kit, let all other timings on auto, F10 and enter to save and exit.

Give this a try and see how it goes.

Well Thank you for that Nate152,

the good news is the OC took, all cores at 4.7Ghz, memory at 2400Mhz and fans not going mental either.

The bad news is it made not the slighest difference in Photoshop; not that I could see. It looks like the cpu wasn't being chocked at all, it's just not quick enough by a long way and I'm stuck with it 😞

But thanks again for the very clear and simple OC instruction 🙂