cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero VII - causing system crashes?

nzilla
Level 7
Hey,

My computer is less than a year old:

Maxiums Hero VII
EVGA GTX 770
2 X 8GB Kingston HyperX
850 EVO Series Solid State Drive, 250GB
Seagate Barracuda 2TB & 1TB
EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 PSU
Windows 8.1

In the last little while I have started to experience system crashes, where the computer completely loses power and then immediately boots back up. Sometimes this is during startup, sometimes this is within a few minutes of logging on, sometimes this is after start up of a game, sometimes in the middle of the night while the computer is idling or sleeping.

I tried doing a clean install, and only having my SSD hooked up, that seemed to fix it (24 hrs ish), and then as soon as I plugged in the other hard drives (both), it crashed within minutes. After removing that hard drive, the crashes continued.

Clean install #2, seemed to be okay with just SSD, and then as soon as I hooked up the newer other hard drive (2TB one) it crashes.

So I'm thinking maybe it's the hard drive.

Clean install #3, thinking I will just leave it with only the SSD, see if it lasts for a few days without crashing, as both times before it was fine until hooking up the other hard drive. This time it starts to crash during windows install, and then again during video card drivers install.

In Event Viewer, the only error message that is consistent with every crash is:

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1.

Source: kernel-PnP
Event ID: 219
Task Category: (212)

before going the clean install route I made sure to install the latest updates for the BIOS etc, so I'm really not sure.

Any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2

Nate152
Hello nzilla and welcome

A faulty hard drive can give you the symptoms you are experiencing and since you say it was fine before installing your other hdd, I would start there by removing it.

The driver in event viewer is not causing your crashing, I've seen other people posting about that and it seems it has something to do with the OS but is nothing to worry about.

no such luck regarding the hard drives, I thought that perhaps it was the SSD failing and did a an install of windows on one of the other hard drives, and it still crashed.

So I'm thinking mobo, psu, or video card?