Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

The Benefits Of Watercooling the Rampage V Extreme

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R5E-Monoblock-1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	999.7 KB 
ID:	48678

Summer is the hottest time of the year not only for us but also for our computer systems. Technically it doesn’t begin until June but it sure feels like summer where I live. I’m writing this in the middle of my bedroom with an ambient temperature of 43C and no air conditioning to save me. So you can imagine how opening a window won’t help much. The saddest part is that the thermometer will keep rising in the upcoming months.

A few months ago, I had upgraded from air cooling to an EK-KIT X360 Water Cooling Kit and even managed to get my i7-5960X to 4.4GHz. While checking my temperatures the other day, I noticed that my VRM temperature was higher than usual. I didn’t really pay much attention to it in the past since I had installed this kit back in December when my room wasn’t an oven. It’s a different story now. The heatsinks for the VRM were so hot even when during daily usage which includes image editing, video conversion and moderate gaming. Being quite happy with EKWB products and their support for ROG products, I was checking their cooling configurator to find a solution. I eventually stumbled upong a very promising Rampage V Extreme Monoblock. There were a few variants too but I liked the look of the Acrylic Nickel one.

Overview of the Installation Process
    As usual, I’ll give you the short version of the installation process. But if you want a complete guide, you can always consult the installation manual for the Rampage V Extreme Monoblock.

First things first. I removed the motherboard from the case and gave it a good cleaning. Having read the Monoblock manual a few times, I felt confident to begin.

Name:	R5E-Monoblock-2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	523.2 KB 
ID:	48679

I had to remove all the cool heatsinks from the motherboard. As you can see from the image below, the Rampage V Extreme looks kinda naked without them. After removing them, I then proceeded to clean off the pink TIM that was on the PCH. Not sure what that magic stuff is but it was difficult to remove. But in the end, I left the PCH looking shiny.

Name:	R5E-Monoblock-3.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	552.6 KB 
ID:	48680

For the next step, I installed my CPU and applied some thermal compound with the dot method. Then I did the same with the PCH. When that was done, I went and cut the thermal pads into thin strips to put on the MOSFETs and power phases. At this stage, a pair of helping hands will help you a lot. This particular variant of the Monoblock is made of nickel so you know it’s a little on the heavy side. You have to flip the motherboard over to fasten the screws. It can be time consuming for just one person to try to keep the Monoblock in place while screwing everything it.

Name:	R5E-Monoblock-4.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	492.6 KB 
ID:	48681

To finish the installation process, I integrated the Monoblock into my X360 watercooling kit. After running the usual leak test for 24 hours, I was convinced that the system was ready to go. Here’s a photo of how the Monoblock looks on the Rampage V Extreme.

Name:	R5E-Monoblock-5.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	900.0 KB 
ID:	48682

Rampage V Extreme Monoblock Cooling Performance
    Since not many of us actually leave our systems to idle for hours, I won’t dwell too much on idle temperatures. You can see that the improvements are there. But in order to see the complete picture, let’s proceed to stress the i7-5960X to analyze the load temperatures.

Name:	R5E-Monoblock-6.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	48683

ROG Realbench is my preferred program for stability testing. So I used it to load the system for 30 minutes to record the temperatures at load. This is where the Monoblock started to shine. To be honest, I was a little worried about my X360 watercooling system. It only used to only cool off the CPU but now it’s also cooling the VRM and PCH areas.

To start things of, the VRM area benefitted the most from the Monoblock. The delta temperature dropped 25 degrees, which is equivalent to a decrease of 62%. However, I was more amazed to find out that cooling performance for the CPU wasn’t affected at all. In fact, it got better as the CPU delta temperature also decrease 11 degrees. By nature, the PCH doesn’t run very hot but nevertheless we also see a decrease of 4 degrees.

Name:	R5E-Monoblock-7.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	48684

After testing the i7-5960X at stock speeds, I went into the BIOS and loaded my 4.4GHz profile. The delta temperatures went up a little at idle which was to be expected due to the overclock. But it’s time to stress the i7-5960X at 4.4GHz to properly challenge this EKWB Monoblock.

Name:	R5E-Monoblock-8.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	48685

Running at 4.4GHz certainly helped generate some extra heat in the VRM and CPU areas. But the Monoblock performed very well. This time we witnessed an improvement of 29 degrees (58%) for the VRM, 17 degrees (36%) for the CPU and 5 degrees (50%) for the PCH. Overall, the EKWB Monoblock impressed me on many levels. The cooling performance is excellent and the build quality is superb.

Name:	R5E-Monoblock-9.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	48700

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

That's awesome Chino, thank you for posting your results. I like the plain nickel better than the CSQ version too.

CrazyDiamondFL got this same block for his build, he almost has everything ordered. I know it's taking a while but at least we know what we can expect performance wise from the monoblock. Should be starting assembly in about a week and will take a couple days with all the stuff he has and I'm really looking forward to it. Lucky for him he will have extra hands to help install it so it shouldn't be too difficult.

And man dude no way could I stand it that hot for a minute, 43c = 109F I would definitely need an air conditioner or change headbands every 15 minutes haha. Seriously though go get you an air conditioner I know that has to be uncomfortable, a fan won't even help with that kind of heat.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Monoblocks are sooo nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    That's awesome Chino, thank you for posting your results. I like the plain nickel better than the CSQ version too.

CrazyDiamondFL got this same block for his build, he almost has everything ordered. I know it's taking a while but at least we know what we can expect performance wise from the monoblock. Should be starting assembly in about a week and will take a couple days with all the stuff he has and I'm really looking forward to it. Lucky for him he will have extra hands to help install it so it shouldn't be too difficult.

And man dude no way could I stand it that hot for a minute, 43c = 109F I would definitely need an air conditioner or change headbands every 15 minutes haha. Seriously though go get you an air conditioner I know that has to be uncomfortable, a fan won't even help with that kind of heat.
    I'm sure you guys will have tons of fun building his rig. Don't forget to drop some photos of it in here!

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR View Post
    Monoblocks are sooo nice.
    Definately!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Chino, what is the stock cooling for the CPU core in the results?

I am not sure if this is allowed and I definitely do not intend to take attention away from this good review but here's my review of the monoblock in case people wanted more details: http://thermalbench.com/2015/04/14/e...rve-monoblock/

Quote Originally Posted by vsg28 View Post
    Chino, what is the stock cooling for the CPU core in the results?
    The EK-Supremacy EVO CPU block that comes with the EK-KIT X360 Water Cooling Kit.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    The EK-Supremacy EVO CPU block that comes with the EK-KIT X360 Water Cooling Kit.
    Was everything else the same? The Supremacy Evo is based on a newer design that should have outperformed the older Supremacy design in the monoblock. Either way, thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by vsg28 View Post
    Was everything else the same?
    Yes. The rest of the components from the EK-KIT X360 remained unchanged.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

I would be interested if there was an option without the PCH chipset cooler portion, only CPU and VRM

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hey Chino

Here is a sneak peek at CrazyDiamondFL's build he sent me some pics and he custom painted the back plate (which I suggested) and I think turned out very good ! It's uv acid green, the tubing and coolant is uv acid green too. It's taking a while but it's coming along, still got a ways to go yet though. I asked him to post some final pics in the build section and he said ok.

It's the rampage v extreme with the nickel monoblock (not the original CSQ), the nickel clean ek monarch x4 ram blocks, ek fc gpu waterblocks, ek fc terminal triple parallel plexi.

Name:	Bills Build.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	592.3 KB 
ID:	49479

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast