ROG Member Array

HELP! screwed up my computer (G20AJ)

I just put in a new SSD and started screwing around with settings here and there including the BIOS. I installed Win 8.1 on the SSD and I left the other hard drive as is. However, I installed win 8.1 while set to AHCI now my computer us in an endless boot with blue screens! How can I do a factory restore from booting up? Is,there any special keyboard command to press while the computer boits? Pl lease help.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Im not a genius at this sort of thing, but im guessing even if you change the hard drive boot priority when starting the computer, having two copies of an operating system on two different drives at the same time will likely cause a serious conflict. You may want to take out that new SSD and try without it, then clone your OS to the NEW SSD once you confirm the comp boots without it.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Ravenholme PC Specs
    Ravenholme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G20AJ-US009S
    MotherboardAsus H97
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 4790
    Memory (part number)16GB - Kingston DDR3 1600MHz CL11 1.35v SODIMM - KVR16LS11/8
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - Founders Edition (ASUS)
    MonitorBenQ BL3201PH (4K/UHD IPS LED)
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
    Storage #2Seagate SSHD 1TB
    CaseAsus G20AJ
    Power SupplyAsus 180W PSU AC Adapter + Dell Y90RR 330W PSU AC Adapter
    Mouse Razer Ouroboros
    Headset Turtlebeach
    Headset/Speakers (The BenQ)
    OS Windows 10
    Accessory #1 ASUS (SBC-06D2X-U) Slim External 6x Blu-ray Combo Drive
    Accessory #2 Asus GPU Tweak II - OC: 2050 Mhz, 90°C max, 120% Power, vsync off
    Accessory #3 http://rog.asus.com/realbench/show_comment.php?id=8796

unplug the sata or power cable to the SHDD (the 1TB drive) and only have the SSD powered & connected to the board. then it'll automatically be set as primary. the 2nd hard drive will have to be wiped after you clone it or swap it out.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array GoHack's Avatar

Go into your BIOS, enter Advance\PCI Storage Configuration

Set the following:

SATA6G_1 (Black) - DISABLE
    SATA6G_2 (Black) DVD - ENABLE
    SATA6G_3 (Black) SSD - ENABLE

SAVE and EXIT

Reboot

Go back into your BIOS

Go to BOOT Option and change BOOT OPTION #1 to Window Boot Manager (SSD or Brand Name)

DIABLE the other Boot Option(s).

SAVE and EXIT

Reboot and your system will Boot off your SSD into Windows. You will notice right away, since it will be a faster to the Windows log in.

Check that your C: drive is indeed your SSD Drive, and everything is working OK.

If you still need to read off of your HD, go back into your BIOS, and under ADVANCE\PCI STORAGE CONFIGURATION

ENABLE SATA6G_1 (Black)

SAVE and EXIT

Re-Boot and Re-Enter the BIOS and under BOOT, make sure BOOT OPTION #1 is set at: Windows Boot Manager (SSD or Brand Name), and BOOT OPTION #2 is set for DISABLE, and BOOT OPTION #3 is set for DISABLE.

SAVE and EXIT

Re-Boot into Windows, and check your drives, making sure that your C: Drive is still the SSD, and you see your D: drive, which is your HD.

I hope this helps, Good Luck.
    Last edited by GoHack; 05-09-2015 at 08:01 AM.
    - Asus ROG G20AJ, Intel i5-4460 CPU, Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3L, 2x Corsair 128GB SSD's (RAID 0), Nvidia Geforce GTX 670, 180W and 230W Power Supply Bricks, Acer GN246HL 24" Monitor, Windows 10 (x64)

- Alienware Aurora R4, Intel i7-4820K, 20GB DDR3, 2 TB HD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 760, Windows 10 (x64)

ROG Member Array

Thanks for all the help guys. I didn't have the patience. So, that same day, I just bit the bullet and erased both drives and re-installed Windows. Now everything works fine (and faster too!) One lesson I learned was that you can't change a boot drive from SATA or RAID mode to AHCI, or else it won't be able to boot to Windows.