cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501 Warranty and Installing another drive

animaSola
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I got the G501 last week and was hoping to buy the Samsung XP941 to take advantage of the M.2 slot. Question is, will I void the warranty if I open it up and install the drive myself?
8 REPLIES 8

X-ROG
Level 15
Any opening is warranty void sorry.

MarshallR wrote:
Any opening is warranty void sorry.

It's a pretty poor policy. It's the garbage that Apple pulls and something that quality companies shouldn't emulate.

Sargatanas
Level 7
This is not acceptable in my opinion...the older UX Versions were more or less built like this and nobody cared if it was upgraded.
Let me guess: Upgrades can only done if I send it to Asus?

Sargatanas
Level 7
I had a phone call with ASUS Germany concerning this matter.
According to ASUS Germany, the warranty is not voided if you open it and exchange HDD/SSD/RAM as long as no guarantee seals are broken!

ASUS Technician: "The exchange of HDD/SSD/RAM is not supported and is performed by ASUS and must be done by the customer"

Jurge92
Level 7
I contacted ASUS support as well. This is what she replied:

If there is a small cover you can open without screwing out any screws then it shouldn't void the warrenty, but if you have to unscrew the entire back cover, then it will void the warrenty.

So basically, once you remove a single screw, the warranty is void...
i5 4670K || Hyper 212 Evo || Maximus VI Hero || Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 || Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB || CM V750S || Asus VG248QE 144 Hz || Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 1600 || NZXT H440 (Black/Red) || Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Sargatanas
Level 7
might be also different from Country to Country - same with the UX32.
U had to remove the complete backcover to get access to the ram and HDD slot.

You won't recognize it too as long as no yellow void sticker are broken.
This is what I was told and I also have an email including this answer - so I gonna open it and change the HDD / SSD.

ASUS seems to have different opinions concerning hardware versions and warranty.
U'll never get the "highend" versions of the notebooks outside the States - impressive policy.

And concerning your info:
I also have 2 G751 - "without screwing out any screws" also makes 0 sense, you have to unscrew 1 to get access and this won't void the warrenty.

Jurge92
Level 7
Where is the yellow void sticker(s) located?
i5 4670K || Hyper 212 Evo || Maximus VI Hero || Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 || Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB || CM V750S || Asus VG248QE 144 Hz || Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 1600 || NZXT H440 (Black/Red) || Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Sargatanas
Level 7
usually there is one over the heatsink screw. I did not have time so far to check it.
As far as I know, the G751 does not even have these at all