Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

How long will my laptop last? (i never turn it off)

I have an ASUS ROG 750jx built in 2013. I'm using it as a media server, so, it is never shutdown or put to sleep... how long will it last?

(my concerns are ...the fans, will the ball bearings wear out... the screen, will the LED burnout... inside, will the thermal paste dry up.. etc etc etc)
    Last edited by GoAsusGo!; 04-28-2015 at 03:58 PM.

ROG Member Array

Depends on how cool you're keeping it. I have a Dell from 2008 that runs nearly non-stop without a hitch.
    These G750s are pretty sturdy and cool pretty well, you will probably be fine running it nonstop. I would suggest
    getting some sort of software to watch your CPU/GPU Temperature and fan speeds.

If you're not using the laptop you can always set your power setting to "do nothing" when you close the lid.
    That way windows will run just fine and you wont have to worry about burning out your screen.
    Last edited by Nonpossible; 04-28-2015 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Nonpossible View Post
    Depends on how cool you're keeping it. I have a Dell from 2008 that runs nearly non-stop without a hitch.
    These G750s are pretty sturdy and cool pretty well, you will probably be fine running it nonstop. I would suggest
    getting some sort of software to watch your CPU/GPU Temperature and fan speeds.

If you're not using the laptop you can always set your power setting to "do nothing" when you close the lid.
    That way windows will run just fine and you wont have to worry about burning out your screen.

the computer idles most of the day, so i dont expect the temperature to rise.
    but
    closing the lid is a good idea, thanks.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Maxter's Avatar

Actually, closing the lid is not the best idea for laptops. Part of the heat is released through the keyboard area.
    The laptop should last maybe 4-5 years constant 24/7 being on... I'm assuming the CPU/GPU will fail first. If too much dust, your fans could suffer too. Clean every 6 months. I would remove the battery in that case (just as a precaution for the battery never undergoing charge-discharge cycles)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxter View Post
    Actually, closing the lid is not the best idea for laptops. Part of the heat is released through the keyboard area.
    The laptop should last maybe 4-5 years constant 24/7 being on... I'm assuming the CPU/GPU will fail first. If too much dust, your fans could suffer too. Clean every 6 months. I would remove the battery in that case (just as a precaution for the battery never undergoing charge-discharge cycles)

yeah, ill keep the lid up, for ventilation.

4-5 years.. where did you come up with that,
    if you dont mind my asking?
    and
    how does a cpu fail?

I own a number of computers, some of them from the 1990's,
    and they all still work...though i have never kept one on 24/7.

when you say "clean" every 6 months.. you mean open up the laptop and clean the fans?
    how about putting some mesh infront of the vent, to stop the dust?

and lastely, the battery.
    i had a long thread about what to do with the battery and
    how to store it. but in the end, we all agreed it was best left in the laptop.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-in-the-fridge

but id be happy to hear more about what you think on that topic.

this is super fun
    Last edited by GoAsusGo!; 04-30-2015 at 02:14 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array navis995's Avatar

The only thing that matters are the temperatures.
    If they stay low you'll be fine.
    You don't need to clean the laptop till you see the sings of excess dust.
    You'll know that when you see the fans always running at high speeds or not cooling the way the used to.
    Theoretically you should be able to run this for as long as you wish.
    Asus Rog G750JZ
    Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.0Ghz @ -70mV)
    GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +70Mhz Core, +400Mhz Memory @ 1.000V)
    RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
    Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
    Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
    Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Maxter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoAsusGo! View Post
    yeah, ill keep the lid up, for ventilation.

4-5 years.. where did you come up with that,
    if you dont mind my asking?
    and
    how does a cpu fail?

I own a number of computers, some of them from the 1990's,
    and they all still work...though i have never kept one on 24/7.

when you say "clean" every 6 months.. you mean open up the laptop and clean the fans?
    how about putting some mesh infront of the vent, to stop the dust?

and lastely, the battery.
    i had a long thread about what to do with the battery and
    how to store it. but in the end, we all agreed it was best left in the laptop.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-in-the-fridge

but id be happy to hear more about what you think on that topic.

this is super fun
    Server's CPU lifespan is 10 years for being constant on. Will they last longer? likely... but they are made for 10 years. Since these laptops do not have server quality CPU, I assumed ~50% of server life. I got the info from a friend that works at intel. He explained to me that there is a physical change in the CPU as electricity pass through it constantly (I'm no engineer, so I didn't understand much of the exact reason). The CPU will fail when the electrons stop being able to cycle through (that physical change).
    Clean every 6 months: use the canned air to clean fans and heatsinks. I do a bi-monthly keyboard/screen cleanup with a screen cleaning solution I got on BestBuy. Dust accumulating in the heatsink of the CPU and GPU are the worse enemy of laptops as they don't allow air flow and this increases the overall working temp of the laptop. With higher working temps, the physical change is exacerbated.
    In terms of the battery, once charged, the laptop shouldn't over charge it. There are Lithium based batteries known to overheat from a failure in its chemical stability. It is, however, not common. I would remove it just because I wouldn't be using it. But truth is it doesn't matter.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Ntwlf PC Specs
    Ntwlf PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Build Below In Progress
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VII Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 4790K @4.8GHz (siliconlottery.com)
    Memory (part number)32GB G.Skill TridentX F3-2400C10Q-32GTX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix GTX 980 Ti OC
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix GTX 980 Ti OC (w/ROG Enthusiast 2-way SLI Bridge)
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1(2x) SanDisk Extreme Pro 960GB, (1x) SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB
    Storage #2(2x) Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB ST1000DM003 (Raid 0)
    CPU CoolerCRYORIG R1 Ultimate w/Red Heatsink Covers
    CaseCM Storm Trooper w/Custom Side Panel (Window w/(2x) 120mm fans)
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i w/Red Braided Cables
    Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M800 Mechanical Gaming
    Mouse SteelSeries Diablo III
    Headset Audio Technica ATHAD500X w/AntLion ModMic 4.0
    Headset/Speakers Logitech X-540 Speakers
    OS Win 7 Ultimate X64 (w/ Virtual XP for older games)
    Network RouterASUS ROG Front Base Dual-Bay Gaming Panel
    Accessory #1 ASUS Blu-Ray Writer BW-16D1HT
    Accessory #2 Seagate 4TB HDD 5900rpm ST4000DM000 (internal - backup & imaging)
    Accessory #3 (9x) case fans Thermaltake Riing + (2x) Lepa Chopper (front bay light effects)

Hi again GoAsusGo,
    I have just replied to your air filter question. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-the-air-vents

As you have indicated, "computers from the 1990's still running", I see no problems running 24/7. Just keep the air vents clean so the temps stay low. And it may be a good idea to reboot the computer (laptop in this case) on a biweekly interval at the least, to allow windows to (clean up after itself ) run it's subroutines, maintenance, optimizations, etc. during the boot process. This may or may not apply to current OS's, but it definitely benefited older windows OS's, especially clearing ram.

I definitely agree with navis995, and Maxter. As far as the battery, it's a built in UPS. Nuf said.

I'll add the below, to my other reply, as indicated above, maybe someone else will benefit in reading it.

A possibility for filtering the air coming into the laptop, providing the air enters (intakes) from underneath, and I'm presuming the laptop doesn't get moved (ie...setting it on your lap) as you will see in the construction I suggest. And you could make this one cheaply.

Get a wooden Picture Frame with the same to a little smaller dimension as the laptop, similar to this http://www.amazon.com/DAX-Document-I...440743&sr=1-56. Also get the "blue" Home HVAC Fiberglass Air Filter, similar to this http://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Fur...vac+air+filter, as it's the least restrictive I know of.

Remove the hardboard back & glass so that your left with the bare frame. Now place the hardboard back onto the air filter and cut it to the same size and then lay the air filter aside for now. This next part can be a little tricky to explain. Measure in from each edge of the hardboard back by about an 1/2 an inch and draw your lines with a pencil. And then with a box knife, (be careful please), cut along the lines you have drawn and remove the inner hardboard. What you should have left now, is what looks like (sort of) another picture frame. Now lay the air filter you had cut out, into the wooden picture frame (where the glass was) and then lay the hardboard frame (you also have just cut out) on top of that. Now it needs fastened together. I suggest a staple gun http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-T50-Heav...row+staple+gun for this task, but you can use small tacks and a hammer as well.
    Are you all beginning to see where this is going.

The finishing necessity is elevating the "Picture Frame Air filter" from the surface it rests upon, so that air freely enters from underneath. There's many solutions for this, so here is one. A strip of wood trim to fasten only to "2" opposite sides of the frame, and the wood strip wide enough to extend below the frame raising it up at least an inch from the surface it rests upon, so that air will enter from the other 2 sides and pass up through the filter and then into the laptop vents, in which you place on top of this whole contraption.

This should work quite well because of the large surface area of the filter opposed to the laptop air intake cooling vents
    Last edited by Ntwlf; 05-01-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Your laptop could last 10 years, but it could also last 10 days. It doesn't matter that much if it is always on or always off.
    With technology there is always luck. If you are lucky it will last long and if you are not, well..
    It doesn't matter that much if you keep it always on or off, but, as others have mentioned, if it is being cooled properly.
    RoG laptops have an awesome cooling system, best one I have seen so far, so the laptop itself will do the best it can, which is pretty good, to keep it cool. Your part is to only keep it dust free and to not put it on a place where the air can't enter or exit the vents.
    A common misconception about batteries is that they need to be charged and discharged very often, which is a thing of the past.
    Your battery will slowly start to work less and less as time goes by and there is pretty much nothing you can do about it.
    Other than that keep it clean and you can keep it working for however long you like. If a part of the laptop fails you can be sure that it has not been caused by you keeping it working all the time.
    You don't really need any kind of

ROG Member Array

I wouldn't put any mesh or filter in front of your vents. That could restrict airflow and just cause overheating. Sorry about the misdirection with closing the lid. I hadn't though about the heat dissipation through the keyboard.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast