cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on new build

tempco
Level 7
Recommendations on motherboard, ram, and cpu, getting a titan x. I can't figure out the best motherboard and cpu combo I need. Cpu and video will be water cooled, will overclock cpu. have 3000 to spend. My mind is a blank after looking over all the motherboards. I have the corsair 900 water cooling tower case.
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
3000 USD? Including the GTX Titan X and Corsair 900D or excluding?

Also what kind of activities do you plan on using your system for?

tempco
Level 7
That's including the titan, I can spend more if I need to, I have the case, AX1200 psu, and yes 3000 usd and all the water cooling needed. Just didn't know what processor I would be getting for the cpu waterblock. I do mostly iracing and some first person shooters. Have a asus 27inch 3D 144hz monitor, don't have room for more monitors.

Hi tempco and welcome

When you water cool the perfect fit is the Asus Z97 Maximos vii Formula and the 4790k.

The formula has water ducts built into the board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132247

The 4790k will turbo at 4.2 on all cores

Here is an example of the Formula watercooled and looks great. Just to give you an idea

https://youtu.be/H7_KHAFb5GU

Ram will be G Skill Trident X 2400 for the win

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

You will have a beautiful rig

Nate152
Hello tempco

if you're going to water cool, I would choose the maximus vii formula (299.99 at amazon) and the 4790k cpu (338.99 at amazon)

If you're doing a custom loop the maximus vii formula is vrm water cooling ready, just install the barbs and it's ready to go. There are a ton of cpu water blocks to choose from. Some of the better ones are from EK, swiftech, and the xspc raystorm has good reviews too.

If you're just water cooling the cpu, you could go for the maximus vii hero and an all in one cpu cooler such as the h100i or similar if your case supports it. This would be the cheapest way to go price/performance wise.

Antronman
Level 10
If you're watercooling, I would still recommend the Hero. It all depends on what you want I suppose. Don't go overspending. Sure, the Formula looks cool thanks to the armor, but watercooling your motherboard is useless. If you want to save some money, don't get the Formula and get the Hero instead. Both are great boards. Since you're only going single card as well, there really is no reason to go for a Formula.

If you ask me what I think, I think you should skip Z97 go for the X79 platform. Find a used 3930k, since they sell for about the same as an i7-5820k. The Sabertooth X79 sells for the same as the Formula VII right now. DDR3 is a lot cheaper than DDR4 as well, and DDR4 only increases performance in very, very, very specific applications. So you just save money compared to the X99 platform. And you make off like a bandit.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jgkVTW

Factor in about an extra $800-1000 for the full loop. You even have room to buy a brand new i7-4930k instead of a used i7-3930k, if you so choose. Or you can opt for 32GBs of RAM instead of 16GBs. You probably even have room in your budget for the RIVBE instead of Sabertooth X79.

Don't buy the Titan X, overpriced card for gaming. If you're doing single point compute, it's the best p/p card there is. But if you're only gaming, and not also doing CAD or compute it isn't worth it. 2x 980s beat it in any game that supports SLI. >1866MHz RAM is for kids that want to look cool. It's for showroom rigs, but it will provide no real world performance. If you want it, you can buy it. I wouldn't, since nobody can tell what your RAM clock is by looking at your memory anyways.

Don't overpay for things you don't need. If you were making a showroom rig, then I'd put a Titan X in there. Or a CAD/Gaming hybrid. 2x980s will look better in a big case, especially if you're watercooling them.

Make smart choices my friend.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

kkn
Level 14
save the monney and buy in september when new hardware gets out.

kkn wrote:
save the monney and buy in september when new hardware gets out.

and that is another idea, if you can wait.

Rumors are that Skylake i7 6700 will be a 15% increase over Haswell i7 4970k

01 Wolverine wrote:
and that is another idea, if you can wait.

Rumors are that Skylake i7 6700 will be a 15% increase over Haswell i7 4970k

And what do you need a 15% increase in processor power for?
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

nickbaldwin86
Level 7
WOOT because 15% is a huge jump... 15% is a huge number :rolleyes:

I agree with the above... I have a Hero and run my CPU @ 4.4Ghz without issues. I could go higher and have, just dont see the need for gaming. Water cooling the VRMs isn't really needed but it is cool if you can afford to spend the money on the better board and barbs and and...

A single Titan X doesn't need more than 4.4Ghz