cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750-JX Subwoofer not working

Nonpossible
Level 7
Okay, so I am having trouble getting the Subwoofer to work in conjunction with the rear speakers.
Windows is only letting me select one or the other as the "default." I would like to use the subwoofer
while I'm listening to my music. Is there an audio driver I'm missing that can enable both devices? I
had windows search for missing drivers and it is telling me everything is up-to-date.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

gazzacbr
Level 10
@nonpossible: looks like you have the wrong driver loaded there.
mine shows:

NVIDIA HDMI Output (Port 0)
NVIDIA HDMI Output (Port 1)
Speakers (which is default for laptop sound with subwoofer control inside)
Realtek Digital Output

you need to uninstall any sound drivers you have (maybe auto updated from windows?) and install the stock Asus audio driver from the support website which should give the above choices and also the MaxxAudio control panel.
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

The problem is when I updated to the Realtek audio drivers, my on-board microphone stopped working. That's usually fine for gaming but it's a pain in the butt for Skype since I don't use a headset for that.
After insalling Realtek, my machine wouldn't even detect the on-board microphone. The only fix I found was to roll back to an update before Realtek. So that's a whole other issue that needs tackling.

gazzacbr
Level 10
@nonpossible: assuming the microphone was working when you got your laptop, thats where you want to be now.
is this a new install? you said 'after installing RealteK'
like i said, go back to stock original drivers from Asus and forget about updates.

p.s. check out some disk imaging software (i use terabyte image for dos) to backup your os system partition and keep working versions of your windows. it will save you a lot of time in this situation. if anything bad happens, e.g. after driver update, possible virus/malware, bad install of software, i can reload an image of my C: drive in less than 15 minutes.
rolling back updates almost never works for drivers.

Sorry, yes, I don't really remember what the original drivers were, but the subwoofer has never worked correctly. A month or two ago there was an auto-update from Windows for "Realtek Audio" and that is what made the microphone stop working. So I rolled back to just before the update and I'm back to square one. The last couple of months I have started keeping backups of up my OS on a partitioned external HDD.

At this point I am unsure of how to go back to all my stock drivers. When I bought the laptop it didn't come with a drivers disc as I am accustomed to, but I didn't think much of it. So I went to ASUS to see if I could get the drivers I need from their website but all I found were drivers for windows 8.

Nonpossible
Level 7
I did a complete re-install of Windows last night. Found all the drivers I needed to start from the ground-up here
http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JM/HelpDesk_Download/

Everything works great now. Now I have settings that I can start backing up that I trust.

Nonpossible wrote:
I did a complete re-install of Windows last night. Found all the drivers I needed to start from the ground-up here
http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JM/HelpDesk_Download/

Everything works great now. Now I have settings that I can start backing up that I trust.

Nonpossible, that support area for the G750JM hasn't been updated for a long time, most/all of those drivers are older versions.

You can find the newest versions in other support areas for newer products, or central support areas inside Asus support:

Asus G751 Support / Download areas
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55572-Asus-G751-Support-Download-areas&p=473863&viewfull=1...

New products using the same components get released and Asus uploads the newest drivers they have at the time.

Asus doesn't go back and update as new drivers come out. It is just what Asus does, and if you catch on to that you will be better off for it.

The G750JM support area when it was new was one of those areas to get newer drivers, but now that it is an older release it doesn't get updates, so you need to go elsewhere to get newer drivers.

Have fun 🙂

Thanks for the tip! I will keep that in the back of my mind next time I need a driver update or re-install.

gazzacbr
Level 10
@Nonpossible: good to hear you are, er, hearing again.
the laptop really needs the sub-woofer to boost the bass sound.
i know it sounds really tinny on a clean install before loading the realtek drivers.
its a hard decision sometimes but a clean install always feels better.

oh, and turn off auto updates 😉 especially Windows 😞