cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501 Possible bug report after coming back from hibernate

JG61265
Level 7
I closed the lid on my G501 last night with everything fine. I opened it back up this morning and after coming back from hibernate the screen was washed out and I could see tiny gridlines all over the screen. Only way I got things back was to reinstall the GPU drivers.
10 REPLIES 10

J82
Level 7
JG61265 wrote:
I closed the lid on my G501 last night with everything fine. I opened it back up this morning and after coming back from hibernate the screen was washed out and I could see tiny gridlines all over the screen. Only way I got things back was to reinstall the GPU drivers.

I am having this same problem. I just woke up, computer was in sleep mode. Screen is washed out white with gridlines/pixels all over. 49485

J82 wrote:
I am having this same problem. I just woke up, computer was in sleep mode. Screen is washed out white with gridlines/pixels all over. 49485

Sorry for the poor picture. On boot up- you can see the screen being extremely bright. When windows loads, the screen maintains the extremely high brightness and the entire screen was pixelated.

I uninstalled both video drivers and geforce experience program through uninstall programs. I then went to system --> to device and uninstalled the remaining intel video driver. I then rebooted and reinstalled both drivers via Asus website. First, the Nvidia driver and the problem still persisted. Then rebooted and reinstalled the Intel driver. That seemed to have fixed the problem.

cajun_azn
Level 7
Thanks J82! I ran into the same problem today and your suggestion works.

Bryrene
Level 7
does the issue/bug comes back again after reinstall the driver? I am in dilemma right now, I have gone thru the method above, everything seems fine for now however, I just booked my air ticket to singapore Asus center to get this problem solve and it would be my last trip. If this problem still exist, i might need to pay another ticket to visit singapore again.

cajun_azn
Level 7
In the first 4 weeks of using the laptop, I did not plug the laptop into any peripherals (except the MX1000 mouse that came with it), and I did not run into this issue.

Then, I tried to plug in my Pluggable UD-3900 and install DisplayLink drivers. This caused my laptop screen (and external monitors) to turn black, even after unplugging the docking station, and the only way to fix was hard reboot. Then I installed different Intel drivers from Pluggable's website and the UD-3900 works. HOWEVER, recently I ran into this issue in this post. I fixed it by uninstalling DisplayLink drivers and reinstalling both Intel and NVidia drivers from Asus G501 support page, plugging external monitors directly into HDMI and Thunderbolt/DisplayPort ports, and plugging in UD-3900 without the DisplayLink drivers (so it functions like a glorified USB 3.0 hub).

Since then (for the last 2 days), I have not run into this issue.

TL;DR = you should be fine if you don't use DisplayLink (or use Asus's Intel display drivers).

Bryrene
Level 7
yesterday, my laptop issue came with different pattern of issue. I get this flickering and a bit of faded. after restarting its the same...

Cajun_azn, do you just install nvidia as your only GPU driver? or you have both nvidia and intel driver on your laptop installed?

I dont know is this problem is cause by driver conflict or something else 😞

cajun_azn
Level 7
both Nvidia and Intel drivers from the Asus G501 support website.

nomad_gamer
Level 7
I had this just happen to me again for the fourth time. You have to keep re-installing intel drivers to fix it.

aldel
Level 7
If it happens after re-installing drivers, then the drivers didn't solve the problem. It's really hard to tell, because (for me at least) it only occurs at random times, not consistently. I think it's actually a hardware problem. I described my experience in detail here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?70256-Has-anyone-NOT-had-flickering-and-or-pixelation