cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard Recommendations... 4790k on the way to me now.

MenaceRx
Level 7
I finally purchased my new CPU, got a good deal as my buddy at work, his dad works at Intel. So I got a 4790k at employee price. So with that savings I can jump up a class or two in motherboard.

I still want to stick with my ASUS quality parts. Have a Crosshair V Formula Z now and for the 4790k I have been looking at one of these 3 below. They all meet my requirements all have 4 or 5 star reviews. Anyone recommend different then one of those 3?

Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1
ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK S

I am ready to order the board, CPU should be here monday at the latest.
7 REPLIES 7

Antronman
Level 10
All depends on what looks you want.

I'd for the Hero myself. Best, with great aesthetics and a strong RoG BIOS.

I suppose if money is not a concern, it's up to what sort of aesthetic you're going for, if for any aesthetic.

If you don't care how the build looks go for the Hero regardless.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

gupsterg
Level 13
Ref'ing Sin's VRM list all three is true 8 phases but doing quick comparative on Asus site the Sabertooth's show support only 1866Mhz RAM , so +1 on Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO IMO.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Antronman
Level 10
1866MHz is plenty fast enough.

Hero is just a better value and better looking 😉
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

gupsterg
Level 13
I agree RAM speed don't make huge differences in normal use.

Also your OC'ing the IMC thus could limit CPU OC.

But when I was buying RAM 2400Mhz was about same price as 1600MHz so thought why not?

Recently did a bench in XTU with XMP off thus RAM @ 1600MHz, score = 840 points.

Switched on XMP, RAM @ 2400MHz instant 200 increase at same CPU speeds.

So depending on what you do with rig does make a difference 😉 .
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

nickbaldwin86
Level 7
Another Vote for Hero... I have the Hero. really like it!

Really comes down to what you need in a mainboard

MenaceRx
Level 7
Alright I will be going with the Hero, my Ram is 1600, i have 32GB of it right now so if I move over to 1866 it wont be for a minute. My 1600 hasnt thrown any problems out yet. Also I do a lot of graphic design stuff for my hobby with sim racing. But nothing so heavy as to need a Tegra card or FirePro. And I dont overclock, I know its safe if done right, but the i7 4790k is beast before any of that, so I will approach that if I really need it.

So this is my first ground up load of an Intel i7 with integrated graphics, I am keeping my 7870 as the primary graphics until the R9 300s come out and i can see whether I want them or the 970/980 line.

My question is there any software you recommend I dont install that is intel related before loading up the AMD Omega driver for the Graphics when i do my reload. I know on my laptop i have to have the optimus stuff. Was not sure if I need it on the Desktop as well or if I can just ignore that and all will be fine.

kkn
Level 14
do not instal the aisuite at all.
do clean instal of OS.