cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with new buiild

abraxas894
Level 7
I recently upgraded my old computer (Maximus V Formula) to a Rampage V Extreme build

Intel i7-5820
Asus Geforce 980 OC
Corsair i100 Extreme liquid cooling AIO
16 GB Corsair Vengeance DD4 2666 (don't have the exact version but it is on the approved list)

I'm running into a number of issues.

First, on the very first boot, displayed message 'Overclocking failed, please enter bios....'
This is interesting since I have not even attempted overclocking yet

I noticed the it's only detecting 12 of the 16 gb installed
I have made sure that all Dimms were in their correct slots and inserted firmly

After entering bios and making some changes, such as preferred boot device etc, after save and reset,
get black screen and no boot or post, pretty much every time.

I have finally gotten it to boot to windows by forcing it to skip errors and continue to try to boot. Got the Windows 7 loading screen
and it pretty much sat there. Had work today (this was last night/early this morning) so I just left it at that screen. This morning,
it showed login screen, but when trying to login took a LONG time to complete. This I'm pretty sure is due to the fact that all the old
drivers from my previous build were installed and need to be cleared out, could be wrong but that's what I'm going with for that.
I can't think that this would cause issues prior to post though, so that's where I'm at.
16 REPLIES 16

Chino
Level 15
Make sure you are running the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Regarding the OS problem, I would suggest you do a fresh install. It will save you from a lot of headaches and BSODs. Trust me.

I had planned on wiping the drive, it's just going to be a royal pain to get all my software re-downloaded and istalled where I'm at in the world.

LOL, I'm in the middle east for work.

Raja
Level 13
Where are you in the USA? Most places have good internet unless you're out in the boonies or somewhere in remote parts of Alaska..

abraxas894
Level 7
Ok, so I've been working on the system again for a few hours and have run into yet another issue. At first, when I put the windows 7 disk into the dvd it would boot fine. Now, i can't boot into setup. I started out trying to salvage my current windows 7 load but gave it up after not being able to get into even safe mode. I booted off the win 7 cd multiple times with no issue during this. Next I used the secure erase tool within the bios to wipe my ssd (main drive) then tried to boot off the win 7 cd again. My dvd is set as primary boot at this point and will show the load screen and the win 7 start screen, then just goes to blank screen and sits there. Keyboard lights are out and I have to manually reboot. Did this multiple times then decided I was going to try to update the bios, see if that increased the stability or affected this issue in any way. Downloaded and updated to the latest and greatest from the ASUS site. Flash was successful through the BIOS. When, again, I try to boot from the win 7 cd, same thing. I even attempted to push the clear cmos button and reset bios to factory, it wouldn't even reboot the computer or acknowledge that I'd pushed it. I did a manual reboot and reset bios to factory and still the sam thing. I'm kind of at a loss here, anyone have any ideas?

Chino
Level 15
Have you tried waiting for the installation to finish loading? Sometimes it takes a while to load of the CD. And it looks like it's frozen.

I gave it 10 minutes. As I said, this wasn't the first time I had done this and it took no longer than 3 minutes prior to this.

I gave it 10 minutes. As I said, this wasn't the first time I had done this and it took no longer than 3 minutes prior to this.

Chino
Level 15
Have you updated to the latest BIOS? If so, try clearing your CMOS. When you see the ASUS logo, spam F8. Select the entry that corresponds to your installation media.