Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX RAM Upgrade limits?

Miliano
Level 9
7 REPLIES 7

dogla
Level 7
Awsome findings, just what I was looking for. I was wondering though, what would I benefit more: 16GB @1600 or 32GB @1333. Currently I have 16GB @1333 but was looking to upgrade RAM and CPU sometime in the near future....
16GB is plenty enough memory but more is always better huh...
G74SX-AH71
17.3" FULL HD
Core I7 2670QM
16GB DDR3
320GB WD Blue
1TB Seagate Barracuda 2nd HDD
GTX560M 3GB

dogla wrote:
Awsome findings, just what I was looking for. I was wondering though, what would I benefit more: 16GB @1600 or 32GB @1333. Currently I have 16GB @1333 but was looking to upgrade RAM and CPU sometime in the near future....

You would benefit more from an SSD upgrade than any other upgrade available.

C4RN1 wrote:
You would benefit more from an SSD upgrade than any other upgrade available.

Let's assume he already has an SSD or is already aware of the benefits of an SSD.
Let's address his actual question which only involved RAM memory:
32gb at the slower speed will yield more benefit than 16gb at the faster speed.

dogla wrote:

Your cpu is not capable of 1600Mhz, and from my findings, 1600mhz is of no benefits at all really if it was. see Here

if 16gb is plenty ( meaning if you have around 2gb free during your most demanding operations) 32gb wont be of any value to you either as you will never utilize it.

But if you have to have one or the other Brightondale's post above said it all

Almighty1
Level 9
My question is what kind of ram should I be looking for when looking online or what should I ask for?

Almighty1 wrote:
My question is what kind of ram should I be looking for when looking online or what should I ask for?

This Post Here should help you decide. 🙂

ThatsBS
Level 8
Hi, i have a 2760, not a 2670 CPU available, with this work with 16gb at 1600mhz? Ark intel says it does, but BIOS and Mb? Thanks in advance. (I understand this thread is very old). Cheers