cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange PCIE / M2 Boot Issues, need help

Raƒa
Level 7
Hi Folks,

a month ago I purchased a Kingston predator m2 ssd, Windows 8.1 Installation went fine, but during the first and following Windows boots it freezed my machine. I first thought the predator is bad, because my old sata based Samsung 850 Pro ran perfectly. So I got another Predator, sadly it turned out that it produced the same Problem. I sent it back because I thought that it is a general compatibility issue and decided to wait for Intel 750. Now I got the 750 and guess what, same issue again...:mad:

I tried nearly everything, tested RAMs, switched to BIOS 2 with stock Settings etc.

I pinpointed the problem that when I disable the SATA Controller in BIOS (Version 1401) it boots fine, I have a WD Black 4TB and a LG blu ray drive, i tested both on another machine and they work fine and they always did work fine with my old 850 Pro...

Sometimes the machine manages to boot with the WD Black attached, but as soon as the blu ray drive is connected it fails.

I really have no idea what is causing these issues...I hope you can help me
9 REPLIES 9

Praz
Level 13
Hello

You will need to contact support for your location at ASUS.com and ask that an attempt is made to duplicate this issue.

Raƒa
Level 7
Hi,

i did that already. I hoped that somebody who had a similar issue could help me out, because there are already a lot of guys with m.2 and PCIe SSDs around in this forum.

Raƒa wrote:
Hi,

i did that already. I hoped that somebody who had a similar issue could help me out, because there are already a lot of guys with m.2 and PCIe SSDs around in this forum.

Hello

Doubtful there is anyone here at the forum that can help with your issue. There is nobody else having a problem with M.2 drives when used with the R5E.

Menthol
Level 14
Did you set the pcie drive to boot drive, if you installed windows in UEFI mode you will need to set to boot to windows boot loader.

I have used the Plextor m6e M.2 drive using the M.2 slot and on a pcie adapter card and the Samsung SM951 M.2 drive and the Intel 750 pcie drive on my RVE without any issues whatsoever on bios version 1401

Yeah, I did an fresh UEFI Installation and Windows boot loader is set as default Boot device. CSM is deactivated. As I said if Intel 750 is the only device connected, it boots fine. Adding the blu ray drive results in a freeze (windows loading circle gets stuck), rampage q code stays at AA.

It is not the m.2 or pcie ssd as such, it is the combination of m.2 / pcie with sata based drives

Nate152
Hello Rafa

Have you tried connecting your optical drive to a sata 3 or sata 3 express port?

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Rafa

Have you tried connecting your optical drive to a sata 3 or sata 3 express port?

optical drive is connected to Intel port 2, wd black to Intel port 1, all secondary devices like bluetooth, Sound etc. are turned off

Durahl
Level 8
Raƒa wrote:
I pinpointed the problem that when I disable the SATA Controller in BIOS (Version 1401) it boots fine

I'm having the same issue but it already started while using the ASUS RAIDR Express PCIe SSD which was later replaced by a Predator M.2.
With both SSD's, whenever I attached Hardware to ANY of the SATA Ports **** went south and wouldn't continue booting into Win8.1.

Most of the time it would get stuck where you'd normally see the ROG/Windows Boot Logo with the spinner on the bottom.
The only way I was able to fix it was by disabling Fast Boot - It's agonizing to look at It but at least It kind of works.

Durahl wrote:
I'm having the same issue but it already started while using the ASUS RAIDR Express PCIe SSD which was later replaced by a Predator M.2.
With both SSD's, whenever I attached Hardware to ANY of the SATA Ports **** went south and wouldn't continue booting into Win8.1.

Most of the time it would get stuck where you'd normally see the ROG/Windows Boot Logo with the spinner on the bottom.
The only way I was able to fix it was by disabling Fast Boot - It's agonizing to look at It but at least It kind of works.

Thank you so much Durahl!

This hint resolved my issue, my System is now booting fine!

I knew that somebody in this forum would help me 🙂

Thank you again 🙂