Thread: m.2 drive

New ROGer Array

m.2 drive

my pc spec is
    16gb trident x
    sli gtx970
    asus maximus hero z97 latest bios
    -

Ok here we go I've got a Dell SSD 128GB M.2 2260 Solid State Drive X110 SD6SP1M (sandisk) I've changed setting in bios to m.2 but bios or windows 7 won't find it or pick it up please help me.

Hello

Did you check the specs of your motherboard and the M.2 drive? The M7H supports PCIe interface M.2 drives only and the Dell drive you purchased is SATA interface. That M.2 drive will not work with the M7H.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array sk2play's Avatar

I dunno, it looks like he got the right M.2 sata drive to me. However, most people install the M.2 sata drive as the OS.

I suggest this, as this M.2 sata drive may have not been formatted or is defective (thus not recognizable)

In W7/W8
    Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management

Do you see your M.2 sata drive here ? Right click 'over it' for options to initiate the M.2 sata drive if seen (it should ask you to assigned the Drive a Letter). Then format it.

If not, check physical connections
    If not, consider a defective M.2 sata drive or defective M.2 sata connector/controller on the Motherboard.
    Last edited by sk2play; 05-03-2015 at 04:44 AM.
    Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Quote Originally Posted by sk2play View Post
    I dunno, it looks like he got the right M.2 sata drive to me. However, most people install the M.2 sata drive as the OS.

I suggest this, as this M.2 sata drive may have not been formatted or is defective (thus not recognizable)

In W7/W8
    Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management

Do you see your M.2 sata drive here ? Right click 'over it' for options to initiate the M.2 sata drive if seen (it should ask you to assigned the Drive a Letter). Then format it.

If not, check physical connections
    If not, consider a defective M.2 sata drive or defective M.2 sata connector/controller on the Motherboard.

Read your post and then read what Praz stated. You cannot use a M.2 SATA drive on a ROG board that supports only PCIe M.2 drives.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array sk2play's Avatar

You know, I read the specs on the MB, but did not realize the distinction of M.2 vs PCIe M.2 drives. Thanks and frankly, I didn't know M.2 was that diversified
    Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

ROG Member Array

I have a similar question on the Build Forum. It is even more compelx than SATA vs PCIe. the ROC M.2 Slot is a PCIe Gen 2 X2 Slot. Ideally it should be fitted with a PCIe Gen 2 X2 SSD. eg Plextor M6e. You can fit a PCIe Gen2 x4 SSD eg Kingston Hyper X SSD in the slot but it will only work at half the potential bandwidth as it would be throttled from x4 to x2. You can fit a X4 SSD on a Daughter board in the PCIe X4 slot (not using the M.2 Slot), then it would work at x4. If you have a SATA SSD, then as its limited to 6GB anyway, as opposed to PCIe x2 at 10GB and PCIex4 at upto 20GB/s then you may as well buy an adaptor and use a standard SATA connector.

Its complex. I just wish the ASUS board had an M.2 PCIe x4 slot, the Kingston Hyper X predator specs are massive, and price is coming down when the M7e comes out.