cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot detect new 4TB WD Drives

Brky
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I have been skimming through the forums and googling all afternoon and I can't seem to find a direct answer to my below problem.

I'm having an issue getting 2 new 4TB WD RED HDD's to detect. They aren't appearing in the BIOS.

Sorry if any of the lingo or steps i've tried seem stupid, just been doing things I have seen suggested.

I have tried swapping the power and sata cables over with my older drives (2TB WD Green and 2TB WD Black) but changes nothing. Have tried connecting via ASmedia slots and Z87 ones.

The BIOS says Hot plug enabled but shows empty no matter what configuration I put them in. SATA is configured to AHCI.

Is this an issue with a non updated BIOS? do I need to flash it to a newer version? currently it is on 0714.

Or, is it something to do with the drives themselves? I wouldn't think both are DOA. They are both spinning so seems unlikely.

I read somewhere that drives above 2tb need to be configured with GPT instead of MBR but this step seems redundant until I can get the drives to detect.

For info my system has a Z87 Maximus VI Formula with a i7-4770k.

Any tips or guides would be much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

NemesisChild
Level 12
You will need bios 1603, it clearly states that it's required for 4TB HDD's.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Yea, I saw the changelogs for 1603 after I'd posted. I flashed the bios last night with no result. I also attempted to connect the drives through a handful of external enclosure, also with no joy. I've decided that I must have been fortunate enough to get 2/2 DOA drives and will be returning them this afternoon.

UPDATE.

So, I took both drives back this afternoon, sales guy hooked them up to a dock and confirmed they were both not powering on (DOA). Replaced with 2 new ones, I had him hook them up to prove that they were good, which they were. Awesome right.....wrong

Just got home, chucked one in and nothing, doesn't spin up. I'm so lost and confused, nothing anywhere on the net I can find even similar to this.

I have literally tried every combination I can think of, have now attempted to used all 10 molex connectors I have, including ones connected to old hdd's. tried the hotswap bay. Also, tried disconnecting all other peripherals except 1 new hdd. nothing.

Anyone got any ideas, some bios setting i don't know about? something crazy going on like a PSU low power issue? is it possible for the mobo to be bricking the hdd's on first boot? Is there something extra needed wrt NAS drive setup?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

PSU is a Thermaltake evo blue 750w gold plus

NemesisChild
Level 12
That's very odd, I'm thinking it has something to do with a 4TB HDD not playing nice on this board.
Can you confirm that your 2TB HDD's do work?
Try this: clear the CMOS and connect each 4TB HDD individually to the Intel SATA port in IDE mode.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Yes. both my 2TB's, plus my boot SSD work fine in any config.
If it was a board issue could it brick the hdd's? since they don't spin up at all it's not going to make a difference what settings I select in the bios right.
They simply won't spin even when connected to only the PSU, have tried in a 3.5 enclosure, and the PSU in my old rig.
So if my MOBO is the issue it must be killing the drives on power up in a way that prevents them from ever spinning up regardless of power source. But why would it do that to a 4tb and not anything else? I doubt its the PSU as the 4tb's have the same power requirements as the 2tb's.
I am at work right now but will attempt the cmos and IDE idea this afternoon.