cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G550JK overheating and Random BSOD issues that just started recently

smilin
Level 7
Got my g550jk like 5-6 months ago. Around 3 months ago, it started overheating (I could barely touch some areas, but HWmonitor showes usually 68ish, sometimes gets to 80ish though). Around a week ago, Random BSOD's started(couple times a day), and laptop seems burning after half an hour of not the most intense use (less performance suckin games like dota2, or software like Photoshop/Visual studio). Anyone has any suggestions?

The thing is that for first two-three months of use, my laptop NEVER overheated - it always was so cool around it, and when turned on additional fanspeed at gputweak, you could feel how cold it was.

Using default windows 8.1/with all default drivers, only updated Nvidia one.
10 REPLIES 10

hmscott
Level 12
smilin wrote:
Got my g550jk like 5-6 months ago. Around 3 months ago, it started overheating (I could barely touch some areas, but HWmonitor showes usually 68ish, sometimes gets to 80ish though). Around a week ago, Random BSOD's started(couple times a day), and laptop seems burning after half an hour of not the most intense use (less performance suckin games like dota2, or software like Photoshop/Visual studio). Anyone has any suggestions?

The thing is that for first two-three months of use, my laptop NEVER overheated - it always was so cool around it, and when turned on additional fanspeed at gputweak, you could feel how cold it was.

Using default windows 8.1/with all default drivers, only updated Nvidia one.

smilin, did you lose a foot on the bottom of the laptop? Do you still have plenty of clearance for air intake?

Is the drive heating up, not the CPU/GPU? You need to watch all the temperature monitors, not just the CPU/GPU. You can use CrystalDiskInfo, just make sure you get a 3.x version, the 4.x version has a new friend onboard - adware, there are ways to get around it, but for focus on heat measurement get the 3.x version.

That will tell you the temps of the storage devices that have termperature probes.

For Nvidia 3D settings set the Power Management Mode on Adaptive so the GPU downclocks when not under load and drops the heat generation down.

Same for CPU, set it to the Balanced Power Plan - use advanced settings to set CPU to Min 0% and Max 100% - that will let the CPU downclock and reduce heat generation.

Also, exit Asus GPU Tweak tool from systray after it sets values at boot, the monitoring tool will keep the GPU clocks up - especially with Performance set for Power Management.

With a 15" it's all about turning things off when you aren't using them, that little body space in the chassis will build up heat continuously if things don't downclock. Same for 17" / 18", but there is more volume to dissipate the heat.

It could be that something went "pop" in the heatpipes/heatplates - mechanical stress popped a connection / pulled away from contact - after downclocking and looking at you storage heat generation, if things are still hot, then RMA to Asus for repair.

https://vip.asus.com <== create login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry with all the info you gathered and request an RMA.

Please come back and let us know how it works out for you 🙂

smilin
Level 7
Thanks for advice! I had the power settings you suggested, except using i used high performace - but doesnt balanced decrease game performance? I'll try using balanced for now and see how stuff works, just kinda felt bad since laptop was so "cold" first couple of months(and ran on high performance like a pro), and now it is a burning train.
Forgot to mention that BSOD's are not bound to overheating, i got bosd once simply after 5 mins of turning on computer. The most often BSOD happens during skype conversation/google chrome, but sometimes randomly when watching movie/using MS word, etc.

smilin wrote:
Thanks for advice! I had the power settings you suggested, except using i used high performace - but doesnt balanced decrease game performance? I'll try using balanced for now and see how stuff works, just kinda felt bad since laptop was so "cold" first couple of months(and ran on high performance like a pro), and now it is a burning train.
Forgot to mention that BSOD's are not bound to overheating, i got bosd once simply after 5 mins of turning on computer. The most often BSOD happens during skype conversation/google chrome, but sometimes randomly when watching movie/using MS word, etc.

smilin, most games are ok on Balanced Performance - the load causes the CPU to upclock and downclock as needed. There are rare games that will prefer constant CPU speed - you will know to try High Performance when that happens - but down forget to put it back on Balanced after the game to let the laptop cool down.

Does that laptop have a 860m? You might be finding the exit game BSOD caused by drivers after 332.60 on the 860m - try doing a Custom=>Clean install of 332.60 and see if the BSOD's go away.

smilin
Level 7
Thanks hmscott, followed your suggestions.
I have 850 m video
Balanced power mode helped with heat when laptop used intel video card(movies, etc).
However when PC uses Nvidia card, it still burns hot - heats up in like 20-30 minutes

smilin wrote:
Thanks hmscott, followed your suggestions.
I have 850 m video
Balanced power mode helped with heat when laptop used intel video card(movies, etc).
However when PC uses Nvidia card, it still burns hot - heats up in like 20-30 minutes

smilin, what game and what's the temp? Try running with limited FPS to 60hz, or whatever refresh is for your display (defaults to 60hz if you didn't change it).

smilin
Level 7
After playing hour of Dota2(1 match), had all temperatures around 68c.
i can even "smell" the heat.

smilin wrote:
After playing hour of Dota2(1 match), had all temperatures around 68c.
i can even "smell" the heat.

smilin, that's the "new car" smell 🙂

68c isn't very hot, for either the CPU or the GPU... which was it?

smilin
Level 7
all numbers are checked were not bigger than 68. However Laptop is hot to the degree when i touch it it damages my skin

smilin wrote:
all numbers are checked were not bigger than 68. However Laptop is hot to the degree when i touch it it damages my skin

smilin, then don't touch it 😉

Seriously though, put the laptop up on 4 corners with something to prop it up so there is air flow under the laptop. I use Dixie cups in a pinch - most clients have them in the break room. Also a large coffee cup with a wide mouth works great - put it in the center of the laptop so all those hot corners are exposed.

I use a wireless/wired keyboard/trackpad so I don't need to touch / be near the laptop. Much nicer than hunkering over the laptop.

If you have a hot corner on the laptop palm rests it is likely the HDD generating heat. Replace it with a cool running SSD, and remove the HDD(s) from the laptop and put them in external USB 3.0 enclosures. That is the quickest way to remove heat from a laptop, taking out the heat generating sources.

Put something on the palm rest for now. A thick piece of cloth, or put on a glove.

Think about how to elevate the laptop so it can expel and dissipate heat better.

http://www.amazon.com/Xpad-Non-slip-Laptop-Cooler-Heatshield/dp/B000PH2E3E

http://www.amazon.com/DefenderPad-Laptop-Radiation-Heat-Shield/dp/B00BPYYWWM

https://www.defendershield.com/

http://www.legitreviews.com/defenderpad-review-protecting-your-junk-from-laptop-radiation-heat_2242