cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW GTX 765 Graphics question

wat444444444444
Level 7
I'm looking at a friends g750JW with the 765M and I can't get it to run a complete benchmark with furmark.
The GPU gets to 85C and then the screen goes black and I have to power it off and back on again to get video.

As for the CPU I can run Prime95 set for max heat and the temp gets up to about 94C after 20 minutes. I will
assume the GPU is odd but I have seen other screen shots around this forum of people running both and
being much cooler. I blew out the fans so there isn't any dust in them is it time for a repaste ? Or any other
suggestions would be helpful.
32 REPLIES 32

hmscott
Level 12
wat444444444444444444444 wrote:
I'm looking at a friends g750JW with the 765M and I can't get it to run a complete benchmark with furmark.
The GPU gets to 85C and then the screen goes black and I have to power it off and back on again to get video.

As for the CPU I can run Prime95 set for max heat and the temp gets up to about 94C after 20 minutes. I will
assume the GPU is odd but I have seen other screen shots around this forum of people running both and
being much cooler. I blew out the fans so there isn't any dust in them is it time for a repaste ? Or any other
suggestions would be helpful.

wat444444444444444444444, how are you going to remember how many 4's to type in?? 🙂

The CPU sounds fine, don't run Prime95 that long anyway, 5 minutes is enough to get a temperature reading.

Strange behavior with the GPU, are you sure there isn't some screen blanking going on - screensaver or power option to dim/turn off screen? Response might not be there while running furmark, be patient and only run the short test, not the burn-in test to start.

A GPU crash is usually the display driver crashing, and if you give it time it will watchdog restart the driver and give you back the desktop. Try to avoid power button turn off while Windows is running. Always do a right click on the C drive icon, properties and check the disk - schedule a test at reboot if it requests it.

Hook up an external monitor too... see if you get different GPU test behavior.

code9523
Level 9
Try to change thermal paste and clean all the dust inside your laptop! The best paste for it I seen is mx4. Don't burn stress tests until you change thermal paste!
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

The bios version I found was actually entering the bios, pressing f2 at startup. This isn't my laptop so I have no idea the history of it. But there is no dust in the fans i know this for sure.

Flashed it, first 720p run got to 81C

wat444444444444
Level 7
Code, there is no dust as I blew it out already.

HMscott, as for the graphics card no its not a display crash the screen never comes back. At 85 it goes blank, then a brief white flash then sounds like its shutting down then the GPU fan spins at 100% I waited pretty long once to see if it would come back but it doesn't it just sits at the black screen with the fan running at 100% after a few minutes.

Edit: I was running the tests on burn in at first. Now I completed a bench with it but still in burn in mode its get to 85 and does the black screen.

Edit 2: Another stronge thing i noticed was in the bios the version read 210, but the latest one I found on the asus site for this model is only 208.

Asus thermal compound is not the best compound after a year or less it's becomes hard like a wall also feels same and it's pretty hard to clean it before putting new one! Your temperature sensor could lie or you are using a wrong program so temp may be much higher than 85 celsius! Blowing dust inside laptop will only spread it everywhere in it but then air flows will put it back on the radiators as it the bottlenecking point of air flow. Good advice is to clean your laptop at least once a year! Put good thermal phast leave enough space for the bottom air intake let it breath))

About your bios it can be a mod flashed or something like this which program have you used for locating it's version? The simplest way it's to get to your bios firs page and read it's version!

Made a quick video for you two to see. I ran one 720p bench before this that completed okay, I just wanted to get it hot so it would do this. Chances are about 70% that it completes without black screening on the first run but it usually happens on the second if done back to back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsmhX4oPwW0

wat444444444444444444444 wrote:
Made a quick video for you two to see. I ran one 720p bench before this that completed okay, I just wanted to get it hot so it would do this. Chances are about 70% that it completes without black screening on the first run but it usually happens on the second if done back to back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsmhX4oPwW0

flash 208 rom using winflash /nodate command.

Than post here what you got!

According to asus support site 210 bios is the bios from asus g750jz!!! here is the link for it: http://www.asus.com/ua/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JZ/HelpDesk_Download/

As the g750jz is with GTX880m you may have serious problems with yours GTX765m!!!
The previous owner could replace motherboard from his g750jw and got replacement from g750jz and also flash MOD rom to get everything work together))) But he could modify the g750jz rom which wasn't made for gtx765 gpu!
Flash the 208jw rom and than post here!!!