cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G751JL Owner - would like to install SSD and move OS

Daefish
Level 7
Good morning all,

I'm a new G751JL owner and love the machine. However, I'd like to install a 256GB Samsung SSD to the machine, and then move my OS+ main games over to the new SSD and keep the existing 1TB as a media storage/lesser used games drive.

Disclaimer: I've upgraded to Windows 10 Developer preview - I do not know if this changes anything going foward.

I'm unfamiliar with the GPT file system and in general how this system is set up. In the past, I would take a second drive, install it to the computer, reboot to a Windows image and blow both drives' partitions away, then set up the SSD as the primary/OS part with the HDD as my backup but in this environment, I'm not sure if that's even possible.

I didn't see anything guide wise on how to do this, so I'm hoping someone out there has some suggestions on how to do it.
I'm pretty sure I have to clone this drive. I don't want to lose all the recovery partitions but because the 1TB has the OS on it, I'd have to blow it away otherwise I'm dealing with Dual Boot situations that can get messy.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: I just saw this
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win8-Recovery-Partition

Regarding the Asus Backtracker - is this all I have to do is back the recovery part up and then wipe both drives and reimage them with Windows 8.1 and/or Windows 10 Developer preview?
19 REPLIES 19

Clintlgm
Level 14
Ok first thing download and create a Asus Backtracker Restore media. You can use this media to restore to your SSD. BE SURE TO REMOVE YOUR 2ND DRIVE WHEN YOU USE THIS MEDIA TO RESTORE YOUR SYSTEM TO YOUR NEW SSD
Macrium Reflect will will image your hard drive and then restore that image to your hard drive. With the free addition I think you might need to shrink your C: partition so that the image will fit on the SSD if its smaller.
You also can Clean Install windows 8.1. Should you choose this route be sure to go to Asus Support Download and download all your hardware drivers including Chipset, IRST and IME have this drivers ready to install. You would download Win 8.1 ISO from MS Here your embedded key will be reconsied and activate automaticly. This link is to the Windows 8 forum several step by step Clean install guides using your OEM Key
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Daefish
Level 7
Hi Clintlgm - thank you for the quick reply.
Just so I make sure I have this right -
I would download Backtracker and create the restore media from the 1TB currently installed to the computer via a 16GB USB. I would also go to Asus's Support Website and download all my appropriate drivers for installation after reimage.
Then I would remove the 1TB installed and install my SSD. It'll be blank and ready for either a reimage or a clean install.
I would opt for the clean install most likely, so at that point I would download the win 8.1 ISO and once I install it to the new SSD, it should find my embedded License Key and activate it.
After that I can install my 1TB back into the computer and wipe it clean so it's ready for media only? And my Recovery stuff will be preserved to the 16GB USB in case I ever need it?

Also - when I install the clean OS - do I HAVE to do the GPT partition or can I do a MBR? Any reason to do GPT over MBR?

Also: Does this have 8.1 or 8.1 Pro or is there no difference when going to install it? I want to download the right OS version, but I'm not sure which version I have (I'm at work at the moment). Best Buys' website says Windows 8.1 and Asus' own product page says 8.1 and 8.1 Pro on the same line.

You could install MBR but that would not be productive would slow down your notebook especial since your putting it a SSD you need that UEFI GPT
If you read the window 8 links I gave you. You will learn to download your windows 8.1 and create an install USB Media.
You would download for 8.1 Core unless you have a Pro Windows 8.1 or 8 product key. Or your notebook came with Windows 8.1 Pro. All this is discussed in the step by step Tutorials I linked you too.

Yes on the Backtracker you should create and verify that it boot and works. You may need this sometime in the future say your going to sell your notebook, or you working with Asus Support and they ask you to restore to factory shipped condition.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Daefish
Level 7
Okay - hopefully it goes well tonight - I have two USB drives, one for each the 8.1 and 8.1Pro, because I don't know which version I have. They have been formatted to work on the GPT partition.
I have the drivers downloaded.
I have a 40 page guide on installing a UEFI/GPT partition Windows 8.1 installation.
The goal should be a SSD with the OS and my most used games coupled with a HDD to run music, movies and slower game from.
I'll have an energy drink 🙂
I'll have fun. Wish me luck!

Its easy
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

eowens
Level 7
I just found your post and you've done exactly what I did. What I'm wondering is, are you still running the Win10 preview? How is working for you? Are you experiencing errors? Specifically, are you experiencing random reboots? I ask because I'm running into some issues and I'm trying to determine if I have a defective laptop or if it's driver related or Win10 related.

Thanks

(http://www.tenforums.com/forum.php) for Win 10 things, Most likely its 10 it hasn't been released to the public yet. If you RMA it Asus Techs are going to put the original Image back on and send it back to you. Asus won't put up new drivers for 10 at least until the OS is released. For now you should restore you Backtracker image or do a F9 restore, work out any issues you have and be sure of your hardware before you try 10 again.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Good evening! So I read all this and I'm still confused, I have watched videos on everything and my question is... what should I go for? A clean install, or just clone the OS on to my SSD? I have a brand new ROG G751JL - DS71, so I would like to know what your opinion is on this, whether I should opt for a clean install or just clone my hHDD on to my SSD and then wipe my HDD? As you can tell I've been out of the computer game, and am only now going back in as I have decided to go for Computer Science as my college major.

It really just a matter of choices, cloning is fast and easy. With a clean install you get a nice clean system to start of with. Just remember to download all your hardware drivers if you clean install. You will want to turn off Windows update until you get your Chipset and other hardware drivers installed then let windows update. Asus Support Downloads
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro