cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100fps feels like 30fps

m1ke
Level 7
hey all

when playing bf4 my rog swift runs perfectly fine above 110fps but anything lower than that it feels like its on 30fps.. not sure if anyone else is experiencing this or had similar issues.

this is my second rog swift and never noticed this on my previous one, not too sure if this is a monitor issue or a card issue

any help or suggestions would be great 🙂 ..

specs: i5-4690k OC @ 4.5ghz
GTX 970 Strix 2-way SLI
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Motherboard
G-skill 16gb RIpjawz 1600
Samsung 840 SSD
ASUS ROG SWIFT Monitor
8 REPLIES 8

Korth
Level 14
Feelings and perceptions aren't as reliable as a solid benchmark. How many fps do your games report, what are your fps scores when running 3DMark, Unigine, Cinebench, Catzilla, etc?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

PullTheTricker
Level 7
I've never run SLI setup, but from what I've heard SLI increases frametimes/input lag. Possibly ads microstutters as well especially when vram is low. You should test with 1 single card SLI disabled and see if your issue still persists. Damn, I was planning to try SLI for the first time ever when the 980 TI launches, but tbh I'm a little hesitant.

m1ke
Level 7
well i get around a stable 100+ fps depends if my cards are overclocked or not. if they are then i can hold nearly 130 - 150 fps until i get into big fights where everyone is throwing grenades and all that...

isnt gysnc monitors suppose to keep the game running smooth through out the framerate change? is there a way i can diagnose if my sli setup is giving me microstutters?

Korth
Level 14
The whole purpose of G-Sync is to control the display so a frame isn't drawn until the GPU has finished computing and rendering all the onscreen objects. Specifically, it will adjust (lower and raise) your fps on the fly as needed so the GPU and monitor are always in sync, and if the GPU is overloaded enough (moments when it can't even sustain 25-30fps) then you'll perceive the effect as frustrating sudden slowdowns or intermittent motion stutter.

Without NVidia G-Sync you'd default to good old V-Sync. With V-Sync, you'd be locked at a (generally) maximal frame rate but (when the GPU slows down from overload) the frames wouldn't always be fully rendered before display, so you'll perceive nasty flickers and tearing and other unwholesome partially-rendered visual artifacts.

It's a bit of a (very expensive) tradeoff. G-Sync assures only best quality at the cost of performance. No G-Sync assures best performance at the cost of quality. And the G-Sync illusion is only noticeable during moments when things would look very ugly (if they're displayed at all) anyhow. You can hope some NVidia driver update addresses your particular issue (good luck with that), and you can always turn G-Sync off (or buy into AMD and FreeSync) if G-Sync annoys you too much.

SLI in itself shouldn't be causing this (at least, not without also causing other problems noticeable enough to certainly determine it isn't working). It seems your GPUs just aren't manly enough for the task (when everyone starts throwing grenades and all that), so your options are to sacrifice a notch on visual quality or to buy a GPU upgrade.

Your x8/x8 GTX970 cards might not be quite enough to push a lot of grenades across your native 2560x1440 resolution. I run a x16/x16 GTX980 on the same monitor and I still need to sometimes turn settings down a bit (especially the 4K DSR type stuff). Image quality still appears awesome, lack of extremely fine detail doesn't really matter when so many pixels in your face are kept in motion.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

m1ke
Level 7
thanks for the explanation that was really helpful... After doing some testing ive found that the gysnc is the issue, for example.. when gysnc is disable i am constantly getting 135 - 144 fps without any motion stutter. but with it on i get a fluctuating fps and i get the motion stutter.. what do i do now?

Korth
Level 14
Lower your graphic settings a tiny bit, especially the GPU-intensive stuff like DSR and AA.

Or upgrade your GPU hardware.

Or just avoid "grenades and all that" in your games, lol.

[/Korth]

m1ke
Level 7
Well im still going through this issue as we speak. Lowered all settings to low in game, Upgraded to Win 8.1 Pro, Tried disabling SLI and still no difference... Its actually got alot worse then it was previously =\

Could it be a faulty DP cable or faulty DP at my GPU or a faulty monitor?

EDIT: Upgraded to a 980ti, problem still persists

m1ke
Level 7
bump