cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD drive poping open all the time

Retired
Not applicable
My G53sx's cd tray will open with almost any touch on the left side of the laptop. I don't even have to press the little button to make it open. If I happen to pick up the laptop and if I touch or apply any sort of pressure to the cd drive it will spring open. I don't believe this to be normal as I would imagine that one would have to press the long thin button to open the cd drive.
Can anyone confirm when the cd tray is supposed to spring open? I find it really annoying that the cd tray pops open all the time. I don't know if there is a way to disable the drive. I have tried uninstalling in the device manager but that just made the drive disappear but still connected as it continued to open at the slightest touch.
Also I would like to add that the CD Drive will not stay closed as unless I press the long thin button on the drive while closing it.
this seems like really peculiar design and would like some feedback on it what you guys thought.
PS
is there a SSD tray for the G53 that would replace the dvd drive?
thanks
5 REPLIES 5

JRd1st
Level 12
Good idea - check this out. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-notebook-portable,1913.html

I may put one of my HDD's where the ODD is, now.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

irdmoose
Level 10
The tray is supposed to spring open a little ways so that you can open it when you push the eject button the eject command is sent in Windows, but what you are describing is decidedly not normal behavior. When you're closing the drive, make sure that you're not hitting the eject button. If you're not, I'd boot the laptop and go into the bios setup and let it sit there to see if the drive will self-eject (my guess is it will since you deleted the driver in Device Mangler). If the drive does this, you might want to consider either upgrading the drive or RMAing the laptop. I could be wrong (which is more often than not), but I believe the port used for the optical drive is ATA based. If it is, you won't benefit from putting an SSD in.

Retired
Not applicable
thanks for the replies guys
i really hope this other port used for the optic drive is good for a SSD
im starting to wonder as I cant seem to find a SSD caddy for the g53
in fact it seems as if the g53 is some strange forgotten model that lives in the shadow of the g73

this damn cd tray is like a mid-nineties printer that does whatever the hell it wants when it wants
can anyone confirm that the port that the dvd uses on the g53 is not sata or SSD or HDD friendly... and maybe if someone could relay any info on any setups replacing this dvd drive with a HDD or SSD
thanks again guys

Verruckt
Level 7
Well, I had a MacBook Pro which used SLIM-Sata port, not really friendly, I had to search a lot to find a Sata>SlimSata adapter.
If someone knows what port the optical drive uses, please let us know!
ASUS G53SX
Core i7 2630QM | GTX 560M 2GB | 8GB DDR3 1333 | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
Razer Orochi | Razer Moray | Logitech X-540

JRd1st
Level 12
I believve its the same as the HDD ports, SATA. Look up the hdwr id of the drive then google it.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com