cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G551JW vs G501JW

Jurge92
Level 7
I don't know where else to post this, so I'll just post it here.

I'm in a dilemma choosing between the Asus G551JW and the G501JW.

They have roughly the same specs, the G551JW has 8GB RAM, 2GB 960M and a hybrid-HDD with 750GB + 24GB SSD. The G501JW has 16 GB ram, 4GB 960M and a 128GB SSD as well as a 1TB HDD. They share the same CPU, the i7-4720HQ.

Now, these are the two only available models which I can buy. The price for the G551JW is $1060 and the G501JW is $1745 (might get this one lower).

Considering the thinner and lighter model G501JW, would cooling be an issue? Will there be a throttling compared to the G551JW? Is the performance the same, even with less cooling? Will the 2GB GTX 960M be an issue compared to the 4GB model? I saw a review of the G501JW and it seems that the G551JW has a slightly better screen. Can someone confirm this?

I also know that it would be wise to wait for Skylake and Pascal, but the PC has to be purchased before the summer ends, so it's unfortunately no use to ask me to wait.

Any response would be greatly appreciated!
i5 4670K || Hyper 212 Evo || Maximus VI Hero || Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 || Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB || CM V750S || Asus VG248QE 144 Hz || Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 1600 || NZXT H440 (Black/Red) || Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
2 REPLIES 2

MafJose
Level 7
I had the G551JM (pretty much same, with slightly older gtx860m and 4710hq cpu) for 2 weeks and eventually returned it. It was quite well made piece but after using it I realised it cant deal with the heat at all. I occasionally played GTA 5 on it and its components managed to get very hot rather quickly, about 15 minutes playing the CPU reached 97-98 degrees celcius, GPU reached to 86 degrees. CPU started to thermal throttle and eventually gaming experience was not so great anymore. Since I was hoping to use this PC more than 2 years, I was not believing it could even last that long with those temperatures. I contacted the reseller about the problem and they agreed with me and I was able to return it. Then I realised that this 15 inch laptop with single fan is no way capable of handling such loads for Asus´s advertised "gaming marathons". I then got the G750 which coped with the temperatures very well, unfortunatly that piece had motherboard fault and I had to return that also, but thats different story.

My point is that if you want to give this G551 some heavier loads constantly for many hours, it very likely gets unstable and I bet you would not be satisfied with it at all. I havent owned that G501 but according to Asus´s website it has dual fans with proper heatsink so I think it might cope with the heat problem better than the G551.

My realization is that there is only one true Asus gaming laptop that can withstand the challenges - its the G751 with very good cooling system.
But If you really want thinner and 15 inch laptop then I would go for the G501 because it seems to have better cooling system. Although the price difference is too big in my mind.

Jurge92
Level 7
Thanks for your reply!

Hmm, it's a shame if the cooling really is an issue as you say with the G551. One would think the larger design would make for better cooling. I also won't go higher than 15 inch due to portability.

I'll try to get the price for the G501 lower, it's quite a lot money to spend for a mid-range GPU/gaming laptop.
i5 4670K || Hyper 212 Evo || Maximus VI Hero || Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 || Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB || CM V750S || Asus VG248QE 144 Hz || Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 1600 || NZXT H440 (Black/Red) || Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit