cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75V Second drive not showing any more

LordOfNightmare
Level 7
I have a G75V only changes to it is that i had both fans replaced a while ago which i don't would effect the drives, or at least take this long to effect them. I wok up this morning after leaving my computer on to download a game and was hearing a clicking noise from it. when i went to check it it was frozen so i used the power button to restart it. when it cam back everything i had running was still going (which usually it doesn't do that when i restart) so i did an actual restart and when i checked my Steam listing all the games i had on the other drive were showing uninstalled.
I went to check the drive listing and it wasn't showing the larger drive. I shut it down and pulled the drive and put it back in and it still didn't see it. So i went into control panel and had it start an "add device search" it still hasn't found anything. after a while i heard the larger drive start to run. It's making a sort of grinding sound. sort of like what the old drives use to sound like when they run.
4 REPLIES 4

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yep sure sounds like a dead or dyeing hard drive. you could try using the manufactures diagnose tool. You'll find this on the website under the support tab.
hopefully you have everything back up so all you'll have to do is restore once you replace the bad hard drive.

You could pull it and put it in an adapter or ext hard drive case and try it on another computer at least to recover your data.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

LordOfNightmare
Level 7
Well i will also be calling a repair place that i had fix my computer once before to see what they say. Hopefully i will be able to get the data off it and put onto a new drive at the very least. Well guess i was planing on replace that drive with a larger one eventually anyway. sucks it had to die now when i'm rather tight on money.

Yes back ups are so much less stressful. And much cheaper than data recovery
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

C4RN1
Level 9
There's a couple tricks to get the data off a dying drive. One of them is to put it in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer for 15 mins. The metals in the drive will contract and give a little more clearance, which sometimes allows a bad drive to run until it heats up. You may have 10-15 mins or more to get the data off the drive.

You can also try to invert the drive or set it on it's side. Do your research if the place that fixed your computer can't help you. More than likely you'll be able to recover your data.