cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound card advice

Nahrga
Level 10
I got the annoying audio popping issue on my VII Ranger and it's just horrible.

I need some advice on buying a new sound card. I'm not sure if it should be a PCI or USB sound card, it needs to be 5.1 at least.

Thanks in advance 🙂

EDIT: My budget is maximum $75
6 REPLIES 6

Deon017
Level 8
How much are you wanting to spend as it can range from $30 to $525 - for just good sound I believe ASUS have great cards that will cost under $100

kkn
Level 14
go pcie/pci.

Deon017 wrote:
How much are you wanting to spend as it can range from $30 to $525 - for just good sound I believe ASUS have great cards that will cost under $100

I completely forgot to mention my budget :rolleyes:
My budget is maximum $75, which I hope is enough for a decent sound card.

kkn wrote:
go pcie/pci.

Are there any advantages over USB?

Korth
Level 14
USB/external audio devices can be pretty phenomenal, and easily switched across machines. There are minor additional signal latencies, but not enough to matter for lowly HD audio output unless the USB controller is severely overcrowded. Many motherboards have weak or problematic USB power management, regardless of specs, which might be problematic when USB devices are being hotplugged or charged or whatever (often a sporadic issue easily fixed, at least for a while, by just restarting the system). But the main disadvantage of USB audio devices is simply cost, PCI/PCIe sound cards generally cost much less. Better motherboards tend to add components which emphasize audio, and gamer/enthusiast motherboards tend to sound remarkably decent - as good or better than any low-/mid-priced audio card - if you have such a mobo then you can't actually upgrade sound quality without a buying high-end (and high-priced) audio device.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Better motherboards tend to add components which emphasize audio, and gamer/enthusiast motherboards tend to sound remarkably decent - as good or better than any low-/mid-priced audio card - if you have such a mobo then you can't actually upgrade sound quality without a buying high-end (and high-priced) audio device.

So I can either choose between good audio quality and audio popping or "worse" audio quality and no audio popping.
I don't know what to choose really, the audio popping isn't really an issue in games. However, when it comes to playing music playlists, I think I would rather use something else than the onboard audio.

My issue is that I don't really like spending around $150 on a high-end sound card. I would rather buy another motherboard for that kind of money instead.

Korth
Level 14
Your Maximus VII Ranger has a "ROG enhanced" Realtek ALC1150, pretty much the best mobo-integrated audio available. Some of the MSI Gaming mobos use overkill onboard sound hardware, but (from what I've seen) people report audio issues with them as often as on any Asus mobo. You could always abandon all the ROG Sound add-ons and try ye olde Intel HD Audio, it's quite good y'know.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]