cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not happy with the Stock Killer Wireless-N 1202 Card

MrRuckus
Level 10
Im throwing this out there to see if others have experienced problems and if any other Wireless Cards have fared any better.

I have a problem where the wireless performance of my G750 is lacking compared to my desktop. The devices involved:

G750 Laptop, Killer-N 1202 wireless card, Corsair Vengeance 1500 USB headset.

i7 4790k Desktop, Asus PCE-AC68 Wireless card, Corsair Vengeance 1500 USB headset.

Both machines are connected to an Asus AC3200 router. 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, Any band used does the same.

This is in regards to voice breakup over my MIC when gaming, and lag while gaming, only happening on the G750. Desktop its flawless. Exact same headset used on both machines. Desktop the headset even plugs into a USB 3.0 hub and has no issue. I unplug the headset from my desktop, plug it into my laptop, and the difference is big enough where my brother and friends complain of the voice quality difference and lag in game. My laptop is in a different room, but is actually closer to the router then my desktop. I havent done much troubleshooting yet. Both machines are running Win 8.1 Pro, both have updated drivers for the Vengeance 1500 USB Headset. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced lag issues with the Killer-N card?

I would be open to swapping this card with the Intel AC card, but have seen problems in other laptops where the card will not wake-up when it goes to sleep? Anyone have any preference to an alternative wifi card? (Interested in Internal, dont care for an external USB solution).
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72
5 REPLIES 5

hmscott
Level 12
MrRuckus wrote:
Im throwing this out there to see if others have experienced problems and if any other Wireless Cards have fared any better.

I have a problem where the wireless performance of my G750 is lacking compared to my desktop. The devices involved:

G750 Laptop, Killer-N 1202 wireless card, Corsair Vengeance 1500 USB headset.

i7 4790k Desktop, Asus PCE-AC68 Wireless card, Corsair Vengeance 1500 USB headset.

Both machines are connected to an Asus AC3200 router. 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, Any band used does the same.

This is in regards to voice breakup over my MIC when gaming, and lag while gaming, only happening on the G750. Desktop its flawless. Exact same headset used on both machines. Desktop the headset even plugs into a USB 3.0 hub and has no issue. I unplug the headset from my desktop, plug it into my laptop, and the difference is big enough where my brother and friends complain of the voice quality difference and lag in game. My laptop is in a different room, but is actually closer to the router then my desktop. I havent done much troubleshooting yet. Both machines are running Win 8.1 Pro, both have updated drivers for the Vengeance 1500 USB Headset. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced lag issues with the Killer-N card?

I would be open to swapping this card with the Intel AC card, but have seen problems in other laptops where the card will not wake-up when it goes to sleep? Anyone have any preference to an alternative wifi card? (Interested in Internal, dont care for an external USB solution).

MrRuckus, actually for me the Killer 1202 card has been compatible with newest drivers, with everything I have tried, with no drop outs.

Here are the drivers I am using:

Killer Wireless 1202 Downloads - I use the 'drivers only' "Standard Drivers (no Killer features)" download + "K1202 Bluetooth Windows 7 & 8.1" BT package
http://www.killernetworking.com/support/driver-downloads

I don't use the Killer Suite tools, they just get in the way.

I also keep my wireless router firmware updated from the vendor site(s) - the onboard update doesn't always find the latest version available.

The Intel 7260 has caused a lot of people headaches, so I can't recommend that unless you have tested another laptop with a 7260 solution already and it works ok for you.

The only other card worth upgrading to is the new Killer Wireless 1525 - but again, it is a compatibility thing so you might be better off, but you might not be.

There are other cards coming, but I haven't seen any mentioned as released yet, even the 1525 has been tough to find as a part to order.

Whatever you find works for you, please come back and let us know how it works out 😉

The_Gunslinger
Level 7
I've just re-installed a G750JM with Windows 7 Pro, and had no end of trouble getting this card to take the right drivers for the bluetooth and Wifi and connected suite, i managed inn the end, but it was more luck than anything, dunno how it performs yet, i guess i'll wait for the guy to come back to me if he has any issues, but it was difficult to get the bluetooth drivers to take, and the right killer suite, as the only one that works is the one off the Asus site, the killer one sees nothing, also less than impressed that it'sa killer WLAN but not LAN

The_Gunslinger wrote:
I've just re-installed a G750JM with Windows 7 Pro, and had no end of trouble getting this card to take the right drivers for the bluetooth and Wifi and connected suite, i managed inn the end, but it was more luck than anything, dunno how it performs yet, i guess i'll wait for the guy to come back to me if he has any issues, but it was difficult to get the bluetooth drivers to take, and the right killer suite, as the only one that works is the one off the Asus site, the killer one sees nothing, also less than impressed that it'sa killer WLAN but not LAN

The_Gunslinger, I experienced the same result in the past with the large Suite package, but the current/newest "drivers only" package install worked fine, as did the 1202 BT installer, but that was all on Windows 8.1 x64.

The_Gunslinger
Level 7
yeah, the revert to "drivers only" was my next (and last option) which i didn't have to go to, this was my first (and likely last) encounter with the killer stuff, and i wanted to see how it was, as although i'm not a games player, and neither will the user of this machine be, i am interested in the ability to prioritise to your main use applications and programs, and i liked that in theory, but it's far too much of a gimmick to justify the sort of grief the driver install gave me !

The_Gunslinger wrote:
yeah, the revert to "drivers only" was my next (and last option) which i didn't have to go to, this was my first (and likely last) encounter with the killer stuff, and i wanted to see how it was, as although i'm not a games player, and neither will the user of this machine be, i am interested in the ability to prioritise to your main use applications and programs, and i liked that in theory, but it's far too much of a gimmick to justify the sort of grief the driver install gave me !

The_Gunslinger, it's fun to play with, as are router versions of those prioritization features - where they can really help prioritize business traffic over non-business traffic.

When you see an Asus G751, you can uninstall the Asus ROG Game First III app as well, it is new and tends to automatically mess up prioritization by default - since noone configures it it causes more problems than it fixes.