Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by amirzubair80 View Post
    Hi hmscott how should I remove McAfee. Is there any tool like Norton or just simple uninstall?

Iam going to make 2 images of my fresh system one with macrium reflect and one with easeus to-do backup. And later backup my recovery partition on USB. I am thinking of not changing the partition size.
    amirzubair80, I just uninstalled it, but I did it right away. I also reboot after every uninstall, whether asked or not by the uninstaller. There might be a tool, check at the McAfee site, but I didn't need it.

When you have the Asus Backtracker restore flash drive created, you can put in your new SSD/HDD into the 1st Bay - removing the original HDD and 2nd bay drive - and restore to it.

For now if you are running on the original HDD, then it is a good idea not to play around with the partitioning.

ROG Enthusiast Array THempleman's Avatar

I downloaded win 8.1 iso, used Rufus to create a usb installer and reinstalled a clean 8.1 os which was automatically licensed via the pc ( BIOS, motherboard, I don't know).
    I reinstalled programs I wanted along with drivers from ASUS website. All works great!.
    Also, I have clean installed Win 10 the same way several times, to an ssd, and it needs no key..I have way too much time...
    BTW, the iso creates new partitions. It's all explained here:
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by THempleman View Post
    I downloaded win 8.1 iso, used Rufus to create a usb installer and reinstalled a clean 8.1 os which was automatically licensed via the pc ( BIOS, motherboard, I don't know).
    I reinstalled programs I wanted along with drivers from ASUS website. All works great!.
    Also, I have clean installed Win 10 the same way several times, to an ssd, and it needs no key..I have way too much time...
    BTW, the iso creates new partitions. It's all explained here:
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
    THempleman "...I have way too much time..." - yup, you just redid what Asus already had done for you, and maybe didn't do it as well, and for no real or apparently useful reason.

For most people (99.9999%), uninstalling the programs included that you don't want takes 5 minutes, and gets you to the same point it took you hours to get to.

There is nothing wrong with the journey of re-installing everything, but it gets you no improvements or added features, or better performance, space savings, etc.

There are those that can't resist completely reloading Windows no matter that there is no benefit, so we're glad you had fun, but please don't recommend everyone do it just because you did it - at least don't claim it runs faster and is now better, because it isn't

We end up helping lots of people that blow away their original OS, and don't make an Asus Backtracker backup of their Recovery partition, so now have no way to get back to a working state. They waste hours, days, weeks of their lives trying to get back to what they had out of the box. And, they can't, and are very unhappy.

Please don't contribute to the generation of unhappy people, always recommend they backup their original disk with Asus Backtracker to a flash recovery drive, and also recommend they put the disk on the shelf as a backup in case they lose their boot drive and usb recovery drive.

There are lots and lots of people that ask for the recovery partition backup, they went ahead and blew away their HDD, or through an accident lost their drive, and now have no backup.

But, glad to hear you got it working, thanks for the detailed explanation on how to waste hours of time to get right back where you were when you started

Update: Sorry to hear you were one of those unhappy people, and that you got it working again

Great to know! I DID delete my recovery partition, so I was forced to a clean install. I wanted to point out that with the help of these groups, anything can be undone or redone and not to get too uptight!
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post485688

THempleman, if you could remember to recommend to others that they not do a re-install, and if they do to back up their Recovery partition so the same waste of time doesn't happen to them, we would appreciate it - I am sure they will too

We don't get uptight, we get our time used up supporting people that lost their original Asus Windows install and try to get it back. Every time this happens we can't help someone else.

It's a waste of time on both sides. Every time someone recommends re-installing Windows and starts the pain all over again.
    Last edited by hmscott; 05-17-2015 at 02:46 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array THempleman's Avatar

Step back and put down the Red Bull. Smiley Face. I was uptight after I deleted MY recovery partition. I found the method to recover, MYSELF, and was merely pointing to the resource for others. Smiley Face. I have no regrets as I use only a few programs, 15 right now including ASUS apps. I keep all data on another drive. AND, AS I STATED, with the help of these groups, NOTHING is irreversible...so don't ( we the users) get uptight! Smiley Face

hmscott PC Specs

Step back and put down the Red Bull. Smiley Face. I was uptight after I deleted MY recovery partition. I found the method to recover, MYSELF, and was merely pointing to the resource for others. Smiley Face. I have no regrets as I use only a few programs, 15 right now including ASUS apps. I keep all data on another drive. AND, AS I STATED, with the help of these groups, NOTHING is irreversible...so don't ( we the users) get uptight! Smiley Face
    THempleman, wouldn't it have been better if you didn't need to spend all that time re-installing the OS?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Agree with both of u guys. Sometimes Asus mess up so need fresh install. Like in my case when i purchased the laptop it was giving me problems like usb 3.0 transfer speed was upto 35 mb/sec when i installed fresh copy it started working fine. And my windows got messed up after few days of use. But after getting back my laptop after warranty claim, replacing both my hds. My laptop is running as it should be with no problems so i dont need fresh install.

ROG Member Array

Lost in translation. I just had to restore my laptop and deleted everything. And I have some questions cause after reading few threads about backtracker I feel more confused.

1. Which version of backtracker I should download? I am asking this cause I read in another thread that the last backtracker has issues (3.08 I think or so).

2. Flash drive I purchased a 32 gb sandisk ultra fit 3.0 but I heared that are issues with these? What should I do?

3. When should I use backtracker after all updates have been done (since I reseted laptop) or I can do it before updates?

4. Is there any manual of this process as it seems to be complicated?

Thanks

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Protervis View Post
    Lost in translation. I just had to restore my laptop and deleted everything. And I have some questions cause after reading few threads about backtracker I feel more confused.

1. Which version of backtracker I should download? I am asking this cause I read in another thread that the last backtracker has issues (3.08 I think or so).

2. Flash drive I purchased a 32 gb sandisk ultra fit 3.0 but I heared that are issues with these? What should I do?

3. When should I use backtracker after all updates have been done (since I reseted laptop) or I can do it before updates?

4. Is there any manual of this process as it seems to be complicated?

Thanks
    I used latest version of backtrack and made recovery on my sandisk 16gb usb drive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2