cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM951 M.2 Hangs Just Before Windows Boot

TrickMasterPC
Level 10
Guys, I'm having the same problem with freaking Samsung SM951 M.2. Please read and share your wisdom with me.

Windows 8.1 64bit UEFI
CSM Disabled
Fastboot Enabled
My M.2 is the only device listed in the boot menu

When running these settings:
XMP 2
BCLK: 125MHz
Mult: 32
CPU Strap: 125MHz
CPU Freq: 4000MHz
DRAM Freq: 3000MHz
CPU Cache: 3000MHz
DMI/PEG: 100MHz
DRAM Voltage: 1.35v
CPU Voltage: 1.275v

50-60% of the time the system hangs after BIOS post with the ASUS logo just sitting there. The error code on the board is Fb which according to ASUS tech support means "System hang on BIOS EHCI Hand-off". When the system hangs I have to restart it several times. On the second or third restart it displays "Preparing Start-up Repair" and it will just hang. Then I'll restart again and it will tell me that the Operating System is unrecoverable and needs to be repaired. I restart again and it boots straight into Windows with 100% stability and zero corruption issues. No amount of BIOS configurations will help resolve this issue. I also tried disabling "Fast Boot" which is one forum user had posted. The data, boot manager and boot loader are fully intact with zero corruption. I also installed Windows 8.1 off the UEFI USB stick 5 times already (getting old).

Now, I have noticed that when I run with these settings
BCLK: 100MHz
Mult: 40
CPU Strap: 100MHz
CPU Freq: 4000MHz
DRAM Freq: 2133MHz
CPU Cache: 3000MHz
DMI/PEG: 100MHz
DRAM Voltage: 1.2v
CPU Voltage: 1.275v

The boot freezing only occurs maybe 10% of the time at most. I also haven't noticed any Start-up repair messages or OS failure issues etc when running these frequencies.

My brother has the exact same SM951 with the exception that his was manufactured in April 2015 and mine in March 2015. He also has the same motherboard and Corsair Memory brand. He's running his memory at 2666MHz and CPU at 4.5GHz. He has NOT ONCE experienced a single issue with his SM951 hanging on boot or displaying messages about start-up or the OS being corrupted. He followed the exact same M.2, BIOS and Windows installation procedure as I did. I also noticed that user "AdamC" stated, "For the record I have no problem whatsoever with my 512G XP941. Now I am using the XMP profile for DDR4 3000. 5930k CPU at 4.0G (125x32) 1.3V, G.Skill DDR at 3.0G 15-16-16-25-2 1.35V, Windows 7 Ultimate." The vast majority of XP941 and SM951 owners out there don't have these issues.

So the question is, do a few of us have M.2 drives that are more sensitive to clock jitters or that are potentially defective in some way? Why is it that most people can overclock all day long and not have any issues and some of us can't overclock at all without having M.2 hangs and crashes on boot. The instability is ONLY on boot, if by some miracle it boots into Windows while running decent clocks the drive will be ROCK solid without issue.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage V Edition 10
CPU: Intel 6950x 4.2GHz
GPU: 2x Nvidia ASUS RTX 3090 with EK Water Blocks
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x8GB) 3,600 MHz
M.2 SSD: Samsung 960 Pro NVMEI
Sound: Creative XFI Fatal1ty Champion Series
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hello TrickMasterPC

I don't have the rampage v board or the sm951 ssd but after reading through your post which is well written and very detailed I don't think the problem is with the sm951. Looking at your settings you provided the hang/freeze only occurs 10% of the time with your ram at 2133MHz but still it occurs.

This could point to your cpu overclock being unstable or your ram is unstable as both of these can cause hanging or freezing.

You could first try giving the cpu a little more voltage, if that doesn't help try raising the cpu system agent voltage a little.

Just two suggestions to try.

Raƒa
Level 7
I had the same Problem, in the boot section of the UEFI you have to set the "SATA Support" to "all devices"

chadman
Level 7
I'm also running the 951, but it seems to boot fine all the time. I have had my bios get corrupt twice now. This has happened when trying different overclock setting. On reboot it get a 6f and never see the bios on my screen. I'm forced to restore the bios, update it back to the latest version, then it boots fine. I also have 2 SSD's in raid 0 and every time this happens the raid breaks. At least restores are fast:-)

Chino
Level 15
BIOS corruption during overclocking is quite normal. Usually a reflash will fix things.

Also owners of the XP941/SM951 are encouraged not to move their BCLK.

Chino wrote:
BIOS corruption during overclocking is quite normal. Usually a reflash will fix things.

Also owners of the XP941/SM951 are encouraged not to move their BCLK.

Sorry, Chino, but I'm kind of new at this. Can you explain this to me? I just use the Asus application to overclock my cpu to 4.2. It rebooted and seemed to work well. I also manually changed the timing of my memory to 2666 instead of 2133 since my memory was listed at the faster speed. The machine rebooted and it looks like these settings are ok. Once my computer just crashed on it's own and the other time was while I was doing a reboot. This is when my BIOS got messed up. When this happens it also breaks my raid 0 that I use to store a bunch of games. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Chad

Thanks for all the help guys Praz, Chino etc. The FREAKING Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick was causing 100% of my system booting issues. At first I thought the ASUS support rep said Fb is "Fail on AHCI Hand-off" which took me down the wrong troubleshooting path. What she REALLY said was "Fb - Fail on EHCI Hand-off" which is a USB Hand-off from BIOS (firmware) to OS.

Here's a detailed explanation from Praz
Most USB issues with the X99 platform can be attributed to legacy USB devices not properly supporting Intel's latest USB 3.0 specifications, particularly the revised xHCI specification. Disconnect all USB devices and reconnect them one at a time until the offending devices are identified. Update the firmware for these devices. If the manufacturer is unable or unwilling to provide the compliant firmware replacing the device is the only option. Disabling xHCI in the motherboard's UEFI may solve some of these issues at the expense of disabling USB 3.0.

Solution: plug in Joystick after Windows Starts. I have submitted a support case to Logitech with all of the details. Hopefully they release a firmware update for the joy stick.

Oh yeah.. and I'm running overclocked like made with 100% stability now too!
CPU Freq: 4,000MHz
DRAM Freq: 3,000MHz
Cache Freq: 3,000MHz
DMI/PEG Freq: 100MHz (keep this at 100MHz since this affects the PCIe Clock and may cause jitter which would affect the operation of your M.2 SSD)
Mult: 32
BCLK: 125MHz
Strap: 125MHz
Cache Ratio: 24, 24
CPU voltage: 1.275
Cache voltage: 1.2
System Agent Voltage: 1.05 (1 + .05 offset)
Initial DRAM Voltage: 1.2
Eventual DRAM Voltage: 1.35 (this allows the memory to pass the SPD Memory Training Test, sometimes if you set the Initial DRAM Voltage to 1.35 straight-away one or more memory sticks may fail the training test and then that channel will be closed. So your memory stick won't appear in the BIOS or the OS.)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage V Edition 10
CPU: Intel 6950x 4.2GHz
GPU: 2x Nvidia ASUS RTX 3090 with EK Water Blocks
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x8GB) 3,600 MHz
M.2 SSD: Samsung 960 Pro NVMEI
Sound: Creative XFI Fatal1ty Champion Series
PSU: Corsair AX1200i

chadman
Level 7
Nice find! I have a wireless Logitech F710 usb controller. I'm keeping my eye on that. I did notice that before a system restore when I went to device manager it would keep refreshing about every second like it found something new. When I unplugged my usb hub, that would stop.

chadman wrote:
Sorry, Chino, but I'm kind of new at this. Can you explain this to me? I just use the Asus application to overclock my cpu to 4.2. It rebooted and seemed to work well. I also manually changed the timing of my memory to 2666 instead of 2133 since my memory was listed at the faster speed. The machine rebooted and it looks like these settings are ok. Once my computer just crashed on it's own and the other time was while I was doing a reboot. This is when my BIOS got messed up. When this happens it also breaks my raid 0 that I use to store a bunch of games. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Chad

Whenever you reset, update or reflash the BIOS, you will have to recreate the RAID array again since the SATA controller option will default to AHCI. It's highly recommendable to keep backups of your information. Also if you're upgrading or reflashing the BIOS, it would help to disconnect the drives that are part of the RAID array.

chadman wrote:
Nice find! I have a wireless Logitech F710 usb controller. I'm keeping my eye on that. I did notice that before a system restore when I went to device manager it would keep refreshing about every second like it found something new. When I unplugged my usb hub, that would stop.

Yes, a lot of older USB devices caus conflicts at boot on the X99 platform.