cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 JS - 'electric chirping sound' from rear (fans?) during idle

WNx
Level 7
I haven't been able to find much information for this. When my machine is cool enough that the fans aren't running there is a near constant electronic sound like chirping coming from the rear fans. When both fans are on this sound isn't present; when the power cord is plugged in or out the sound will cease for a couple seconds before resuming. The sound isn't particularly loud, but it's noticeable, and honestly from a high-end laptop you either want the peace-of-mind knowing everything is 100%, or to fix any minor issue.

I may have read before that this has to do with the fan trying to turn on and failing; or that this is a harmless but annoying problem from a cheap electric motor -- I honestly don't know.

Does anyone know more about this? Anything I can do; would ASUS support be able to fix the issue? (still under 1-yr mfc warranty; machine built sometime in 2014; purchased new early 2015.)
1 REPLY 1

hmscott
Level 12
WNx wrote:
I haven't been able to find much information for this. When my machine is cool enough that the fans aren't running there is a near constant electronic sound like chirping coming from the rear fans. When both fans are on this sound isn't present; when the power cord is plugged in or out the sound will cease for a couple seconds before resuming. The sound isn't particularly loud, but it's noticeable, and honestly from a high-end laptop you either want the peace-of-mind knowing everything is 100%, or to fix any minor issue.
I may have read before that this has to do with the fan trying to turn on and failing; or that this is a harmless but annoying problem from a cheap electric motor -- I honestly don't know.
Does anyone know more about this? Anything I can do; would ASUS support be able to fix the issue? (still under 1-yr mfc warranty; machine built sometime in 2014; purchased new early 2015.)

WNx, it's a bad fan, or something caught in the fan cage clicking under low rev, or an unbalanced fan at low revs wobbling, or a damaged fin clicking at low revs.

Anyway, Asus will fix it for you under warranty.

It isn't worth debugging on your own, you need to take apart too much stuff to get at the fans, and then to order and replace them yourself is a waste given that Asus will do it for free.

If you can do a short video/audio clip of the problem to show Asus exactly what you are talking about, it avoids a lot of confusion and makes sure the problem / fix required is entered into the RMA correctly.

https://vip.asus.com/ <== create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry asking for RMA to replace a noisy fan, and zip up the video with audio file and attach it to the TI.

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂