cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q won't turn on anymore.

A7mad92
Level 7
Hi guys,

So I've had my ROG Swift for about a week now, it worked fine out of the box, no dead pixels etc. Yesterday however, it wouldn't turn on anymore. After some research, I thought it might be the power adapter. I had an ASUS adapter with similar ratings lying around that my roommate used to use for her old laptop, model HP-A0904A3. I tried that but it still wouldn't turn on. The thing is, the green light on the adapter brick will turn on, but then when I plug it into the monitor, the green light switches off.

The problem is she now uses a macbook, so I can't test if either of the adapters work on a laptop. I'm also not 100% certain that the laptop adapter is even compatible with the ROG Swift. So I don't know if I have 2 faulty adapters, or if I have 1 faulty one and 1 incompatible one, or if the fault is with the monitor itself.

To make matters worse, I received this monitor as a gift, so I don't know if the receipt was kept or not (hopefully it was), so I don't know what my RMA options are.

Sorry I'm kind of rambling on. These are my questions:

1. Is the HP-A0904A3 adapter compatible with the ROG swift?

2. If so, what does it mean when the green light on the adapter brick is lit when not plugged into the monitor and then turns off when it is plugged in?

3. What would be the best way to proceed from here? RMA? Assuming I am unable to get the receipt, is this even possible? Should I purchase the new ROG Adapter (EXA1202YH) and hope that works? Any other ideas?

By the way, the monitor is manufactured in November 2014, if that helps at all.

Thanks for your time, appreciate all feedback.

Cheers.
2 REPLIES 2

Korth
Level 14
If you choose the RMA route (your only option, really, if nobody can offer a workable fix for your issue) then you must provide a receipt. Probably best to obtain the receipt for this purpose from your gift-giver. Let's face it, you already know how much it cost and you probably even know where it was purchased, and it's not much of a gift if it just won't work, and the gift-giver just wants you to be happy, lol. You may diffuse social awkwardness by explaining that you (or your female Macbooker) lacks tech savvy and/or you really love this beautiful monitor (when it works) and/or that you have discovered many online reports about a high RMA/failure rate for this monitor model.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Volt
Level 9
IIRC when I registered my ASUS Rog Swift, I used the serial number that came with either; the BOX, one of the manuals, one of the miscellaneous papers, or the serial number on the back of the monitor. Try one of those. I think the warranty only applies to the original owner (or the 1st person to register it to ASUS). So like, since I registered it, I'm the only person that gets it under warranty. If I gift it to a buddy. Then my buddy gets no warranty.

I'd also suggest contacting ASUS tech support by email. I don't recall if you need to have the monitor registered or not to get tech support. They may have some suggestions to how to fix it, possibly involving obtaining a new power supply from somewhere. And that may be easier to deal with for the time being, then RMA'ing the entire monitor off to ASUSland. Try the easy things first, before that.