Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    illuminatiASUS
    Quote Originally Posted by LannyT View Post
    I understand how the RamCache works, thanks you the explanation here and your YouTube video, but the RamDisk is a little more confusing. You mentioned in the video and installing an application on the RamDisk increases performance dramatically, but when you run an application doesn't it get loaded into memory? If so, what's the difference? And if not, no further explanation is needed. Also (and I'm trying to fit everything into one reply), if you install an application on a RamDisk doesn't that imply that you must save the image of the RamDisk upon powering down the computer, and reload that image when the system is powered up again?

Thanks,

Lanny T.
    RamDisk is different as it is not a cache but actual volume where the application is not only installed but runs from. The key difference is higher bandwidth and reduced latency and there is no general algorithm to "cache" files what is on that disk will be accelerated. Depending on the application you can see considerable gains in performance. In regards to startup and shutdown it depends, if you have the software set to use a VHD type system ( Virtual HD Image ) when the system shutsdown it will unload the disk volume to the primary logical volume whether it be an SSD or mechanical HD. When the system is started up with will reload it from that volume and recreate the RamDisk essentially have it be a persistent volume. This means you can have full applications installed as you would normally on any "hard drive/SSD". This will impact your shutdown time but in my opinion the increase in performance is well worth it. Boot up performance has generally be only lightly affected but can also be extended. Of course for both of these the larger the RamDisk the more it will affect both states.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

LannyT
    Regarding the RamDisk, I appreciate your detailed answer and it confirmed my suspicions on how it works during power down/up. However, you missed the key element of my confusion. I asked "... but when you run an application doesn't it get loaded into memory? If so, what's the difference?" So? Why is RamDisk, made out of memory, faster than running an application stored on SSD that gets loaded into memory when invoked? Is it that only a portion of a typical applications loads to memory and it still has to refer to disk from time to time? I have 32 GB of 1866 quad channel memory and I plan to allocate 8 GB to a RamCache and, if needed, another 8 GB to a RamDisk. But I would really like to understand why I would be spending 25% of my memory for a RamDisk.

Just in case your answer may depend on the applications, I am building this system not for gaming, but to enhance the performance of Photoshop and Premiere Pro. I'm using a P9X79 Pro with a 3960X (both will arrive tomorrow!!) and an nVidia Quadro 4000.

Thanks again,

Lanny T.

dlee

Ram Disk

Can one load Win7 on to and boot with Ram Disk Plus to speed up boot and shutdown time? Or, does it rely upon boot from another source drive to be loaded from the onset making this not possible?

dlee
    By the way, just upgraded my old Dell XPS400. JJ, if you're reading this, great videos on YouTube. I decided to go with an Asus motherboard because your suggestions regarding a Ram Disk and Cache changed the way I thought about maximizing performance with my rig.

If someone could please confirm regarding my query, it would be appreciated.

STATUS ================================================== ========

***Order: 11/25/2011 by DH
    Exp ship: 12/9/2011*
    **Charge: -
    Warehouse: -
    Assembly: -
    ******QC: -
    *Invoice: -
    Shipment: -

ITEMS (note: B/O ETA = ETA of the backordered item) =============

Item# ***********Description *************************Qty ***B/O ETA
    --------------- *----------------------------------- *----- *--------
    ID-INFO *********306517 CFGX79 ***********************1 *****
    MODEL1 **********C SERIES ****************************1 *****
    CABLE-PROWIRE ***PROFESSIONAL CABLE WIRING ***********1 *****
    SW-152-134 ******BATMAN ARKHAM CITY GAME COUPON ******1 *****
    HS-504-101 ******CORSAIR HS1NA USB GAMING HEADSET ****1 *****
    KB-131-102 ******THERMALTAKE ESPORTS CHALLENGER GAMING KEYBOARD PRO *1 *****
    MN-163-108 ******HANNS-G HF225DPB 22" 5MS BLK 1920X1080 WIDE LCD *1 *****
    MO-123-101 ******CORSAIR VENGEANCE M60 PERFORMANCE FPS GAMING MOUSE *1 *****12/2/2011
    SW-130-128 ******OFFICE HOME AND BUSINESS 2010 LICENSE *1 *****12/2/2011
    SW-130-129 ******OFFICE HOME AND BUSINESS 2010 MEDIA *1 *****12/2/2011
    NC-USB-117 ******EDIMAX EW-7811Un IEEE NANO 802.11n USB WIRELESS ADAPTER *1 *****
    CU-208-213 ******INTEL I7-3960X 3.3GHZ 15MB LGA 2011 RETAIL *1 *****
    HD-504-156 ******CORSAIR 240 GB FORCE SERIES SATA III FORCE 240 MLC SSD *1 *****12/2/2011
    HD-403-303 ******2TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5" HD *1 *****
    RM-317-802 ******4GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ DDR3 **8 *****12/7/2011
    FA-104-204 ******ENERMAX T.B.SILENCE WITH BLUE LED 120MM CASE FAN *2 *****
    FA-WATER-110 ****CYBERPOWER 240 WATER COOLER KIT *****1 *****
    CS-157-516 ******THERMALTAKE LEVEL 10GT FULL TOWER CASE *1 *****
    CD-135-136 ******BLACK LG UH12LS28K 12X BLU-RAY PLAYER & DVDRW COMBO *1 *****
    CD-135-136 ******BLACK LG UH12LS28K 12X BLU-RAY PLAYER & DVDRW COMBO *1 *****
    LIQ-101-101 *****COLORLESS LIQID COOLANT BOTTLE HIGH-PERFORMANCE *1 *****
    MR-104-101 ******12-IN-ONE INTERNAL CARD READER ******1 *****
    MB-391-104 ******ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME QUAD CROSSFIRE/ QUAD SLI SATA 3.0 USB .0 LGA 2011 *1 *****
    PS-117-119 ******COOLERMASTER SILENT PRO GOLD1200W POWER SUPPLY *1 *****
    SC-102-144 ******CL SB X-FI XTREME AUDIO RETAIL ******1 *****
    FC-201-102 ******NZXT SENTRY LX ALUMINUM DUAL BAY DIGITAL FAN CONTROL *1 *****
    VC-206-109 ******EVGA NVIDIA GTX 580 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E *1 *****
    VC-206-109 ******EVGA NVIDIA GTX 580 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E *1 *****
    BT-101-102 ******USB BLUETOOTH 2.X EDR DONGLE WITH LED LIGHT THUMB SIZE *1 *****
    SW-170-105 ******WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL LICENSE ******1 *****
    SW-170-106 ******WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL COA **********1 *****
    SW-170-114 ******WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL SP1 64-BIT ***1 *****
    BOX1 ************SYSTEM BOX AND FOAM *****************1 *****
    SERVICE-301 *****M. FAN SERIES ***********************1 *****
    CU-OVERCLOCK-4 **ULTIMATE OVERCLOCK ( 30% MORE) ******1 *****
    ULTRA-PACKAGING *ULTRA ENHANCED PACKAGING SOLUTION ***1 *****
    DISC ************INSTANT (5% Discount) ***************1 *****
    EWASTE **********ELECTRONIC WASTE RECYCLING FEE ******1 *****
    SHIP ************UPS Ground **************************1 *****
    FA-104-206 ******ENERMAX MAGMA 120MM 1500RPM 85C TWISTER FAN *2 *****
    SW-152-135 ******BATTLEFIELD 3 COUPON INTEL **********1 *****

I got a question as well can u choose on which disk the ram will fuction as cache, for a example i got an ocz revodrive for the system which is pretty much pointless to use it on but my games are installed on a regular 7200 sata, can i tell the program to "cache" that specific drive?

Thanks

Humans TOP 3 best friends:

1.Dogs
    2.Google Search
    3.Zip Tie

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by dlee View Post
    Can one load Win7 on to and boot with Ram Disk Plus to speed up boot and shutdown time? Or, does it rely upon boot from another source drive to be loaded from the onset making this not possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by dlee View Post
    If someone could please confirm regarding my query, it would be appreciated.
    RamDisk Plus is Windows software. Therefore it needs Windows to be loaded before it can do its thing.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Member Array

Use of Ram Disk Vs Ram Cache?

Hi,

Nice to see there a practical use for all the Ram we can have these days

My question is however what are some practical uses for each and what would benefit of using either or both?

My main PC is setup purely for Gaming and I have been using an SSD up til now to try and improve load times and eliminate stutter that is seen in quite a few games. As I see it, the Ram disk loaded with the full game would be better than a SSD or even Revodrive3 X2, but is that enough or would I still need some Ram Cache too?
    The only downside I can see is if you want to using Ram Disk for a few different games, you would need some way to preload the game to Ram Disk when starting the any of the games, still probably worth the slight load delay for a few hr gaming session.

Currently running a MIVE with 2600K and 16g ram, so I realise the RAM performance would be as good as a X79, but I might be encouraged to upgrade if its a good solution.

Any thoughts would be Greatly appreciated

Nico

ROG Guru: White Belt Array DangerClose's Avatar

*** EDIT Sorry, just saw they have one for desktops!!! I bought it!!

I'm running 32GB of ram, and allocated a 12GB cache. Is this too much? It's just a gaming system, I play mainly BF3 and Steam games. I still have a little over 16GB free for system stuff.
    Last edited by DangerClose; 12-16-2011 at 11:32 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array DangerClose's Avatar

Ok so I've been using it all night and had 1 blue screen. Not exactly sure what caused that, but it's the first Blue Screen crash I've had since I built this new system a week ago. I was playing BF3, and the server was changing maps and the system just locked, then restarted. Event Viewer just said it was an "unexpected event" or whatever. I'm suspecting it was something between SuperCache 5 and my SSD. I also have my PageFile moved to another drive, my 10k Velociraptor. should I move that back to my SSD or just keep it on the other drive?

New ROGer Array

The supercache 5 is expired, and other free program? It's way too expensive to buy this software for 79 dollar, I would rather buy another SSD for raid 0.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast