cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog G73jh Black screen !

ll_r1d0_ll
Level 7
Hey guys i am new to this forum...Lets make it a short story...i bought a used asus rog g73jh , the one with the ATI 5870 . Yesterday i thought to clean the laptop and apply new thermal paste as the temperatures were 59-60 of both the CPU and GPU while normally using or browsing. I opened it properly and applied the new paste on the cpu and gpu and closed each and everything properly by checking it. but when i turned it on it didnt show display but i could hear the windows booting sound.. now i am totally blank on what has gone wrong ? its not a GPU failure i guess because the laptop is booting atleast.. i have tried changing ram's , hard disks but still the blank screen . Then i disassembled it again to check if the Lcd ribbon is connected properly but when i took a look at it it was sort of burned and there was a small black hole which burnt the protective tape on the lcd cable (I have posted the picture for u guys to see it ) . Now one question .. Its the LCD cable thats not making the proper connection between the lcd and the laptop right ? i opened the wires of the lcd ribbon to repair them by soldering them together but no luck .dont tell me my gpu is dead :confused: Any suggestion or help will be highly appreciated . thanks ! 🙂
P.S : I Havent tried it with any external display because currently i am not having any hdmi cable or a monitor .
4 REPLIES 4

C4RN1
Level 9
Wow, get a new cable and don't try to turn the laptop on again until you do. You can start a fire if you're not careful, the fabric around the wires just need a little spark and you'll be replacing a lot more than just the cable.

Store the laptop without the battery, and make sure it doesn't have any power.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ASUS-G73-G73JH-G73JW-G73J-G73SW-LCD-LVDS-Video-Cable-1422-00Q00ASA-LAS04...

C4RN1 wrote:
Wow, get a new cable and don't try to turn the laptop on again until you do. You can start a fire if you're not careful, the fabric around the wires just need a little spark and you'll be replacing a lot more than just the cable.

Store the laptop without the battery, and make sure it doesn't have any power.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ASUS-G73-G73JH-G73JW-G73J-G73SW-LCD-LVDS-Video-Cable-1422-00Q00ASA-LAS04...

thanks for the reply ...well today i bought a new cable from the shop and i thought i should check if its working or not ...i forgot to take the battery out and while i tried to attach the cable to the motherboard there was a short that came from the lcd CONNECTOR side of the motherboard and now my laptop dont even turn on 😞 😞 i took it to the local repair shop he said that the ITE chip is short and there is a little short in the INTEL CHIPSET too and he said he will change the ITE chip and hope it will clear the short circuit ... He also said that if it may clear the short in the INTEL CHIPSET too otherwise i have to get a new motherboard 😞 😞

C4RN1
Level 9
Sorry to hear the bad news, though it's good if you're taking it to a place that can do component level repairs. It's actually pretty rare to find a place that knows how to do this. Hopefully you only have to pay them if they fix the board.

Always make sure you remove the battery and power before working on any laptop. I don't care if you are upgrading ram or removing the hard drive. It's a good practice to follow.

Good luck with the motherboard repairs, it sounds like the shop can guide you better than we can at this point.

C4RN1 wrote:
Sorry to hear the bad news, though it's good if you're taking it to a place that can do component level repairs. It's actually pretty rare to find a place that knows how to do this. Hopefully you only have to pay them if they fix the board.

Always make sure you remove the battery and power before working on any laptop. I don't care if you are upgrading ram or removing the hard drive. It's a good practice to follow.

Good luck with the motherboard repairs, it sounds like the shop can guide you better than we can at this point.

yeah i know 😞 um dying to use my rog 😞