cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ranger Won't Detect Graphics Card

kingdomi
Level 7
For some reason my maximus v2 ranger does not detect my AMD r9 290 graphics card. The fans do run though.I tried forcing the primary display through PCIE in the bios but when I reboot my PC the settings are not saved and the only way to connect my monitor is through the HDMI port on the motherboard instead of the HDMI of my graphics card. I also tried resetting the CMOS but even then the setting isn't saved. Reinstalling the AMD drivers didn't work either.

I hope I was clear in what I mean, English is my second language. Thanks in advance for your help. 🙂
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hello kingdomi and welcome

it's possible you have a faulty r9 290. Have you checked to see if it is recognized in the bios? Go to the extreme tweaker tab and click GPU Dimm, here will show your ram and gpu.

If it's not showing in there make sure it's fully seated in the pcie slot and you have the appropriate pcie cables connected. You can also try the 2nd pcie slot.

cidoncha
Level 7
kingdomi wrote:
For some reason my maximus v2 ranger does not detect my AMD r9 290 graphics card. The fans do run though.I tried forcing the primary display through PCIE in the bios but when I reboot my PC the settings are not saved and the only way to connect my monitor is through the HDMI port on the motherboard instead of the HDMI of my graphics card. I also tried resetting the CMOS but even then the setting isn't saved. Reinstalling the AMD drivers didn't work either.

I hope I was clear in what I mean, English is my second language. Thanks in advance for your help. 🙂

I have the same problem, did you get to fix it?

Raja
Level 13
Check your board is running the latest UEFI build.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Check your board is running the latest UEFI build.

Link download?

cidoncha wrote:
Link download?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER/HelpDesk_Download/
Select OS and then it's under the BIOS tab.

Go to page 3-57 in the manual if you need a guide for updating: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VII-RANGER/e9798_maximus_vii_ranger_ug_v2_for_we...

EDIT:
To check if you're running the lastest BIOS version you can check under EzMode in BIOS.

The r9 290 should not be faulty as it did work with my previous setup. The card is not recognized in the bios and I did flash the bios to the newest build. I also tried connecting it to the second pcie slot but the supremefx chip is blocking my video card so it won't fit.

Nate152
if it's not showing in the bios there is a problem. Either your 290 is not fully seated in the pcie slot, or you don't have the pcie cables connected, or the 290 is defective.

kingdomi
Level 7
The past 2 and a half weeks I was sick so I didn't do anything to fix the problem. This is what happens when I turn on the PC with the HDMI cable connected to my graphics card. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzoVzq-yB-E

NemesisChild
Level 12
Once you clear the CMOS, there are no settings to save unless you go back into the bios and make changes again.
What is the make & model number of your PSU?
Try a different PCI-E cable, this of course is assuming that your PSU has more than two.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601