Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    GL551JW-DS74 SSD ungradable or not??

    Does the GL551JW-DS74 allow for the 128gb SSD (included) to be upgraded and switched out to a 500gb SSD?
    I'm afraid that it's buried beyond reach and will not be replaceable.
    Any brother out there own the GL551JW-DS74 that can help?

    Thanks!
    Cheers

  2. #2
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Not having opened it up, just from reading elsewhere I am under the impression that the 1TB HDD is easily swapped out. The 128GB SSD is actually a half size mSATA SSD that is kinda buried into the hardware. I could be wrong. I'm interested too. I got the DS71 with the idea that I could add a higher vvolume SSD and save some money but it looks like the 1TB drive is the one that'll need to be swapped.

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array Zombievac PC Specs
    Zombievac PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS RoG G751JY-DH71
    MotherboardASUS P9X79 PRO
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3820 @ 4.63GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F3-14900CL8-4GBZM (QTY 4 - 16GB)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 980 4GB @ 1391MHz (Core/Boost) / 7.7GHz (Memory)
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GTX 960 SC 2GB (PhysX only)
    MonitorSamsung 48" 3D LED TV
    Storage #1Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD
    Storage #2WD 4TB 7200RPM
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D14 SE2011 140mm and 120mm SSO CPU Cooler
    CaseRosewill THOR V2 (XL-ATX)
    Power SupplyFirePower 750FTY Fatal1ty 750W
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013
    Headset Turtle Beach EarForce PX4
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus Control Mat
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-5500 505 Watt 5.1 Digital Surround Speakers
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterNetgear NightHawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router
    Accessory #1 CyberPower 1350VA UPS with LCD Display

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Reputation
    14
    Posts
    67

    It can be, but you need to get a special PCIe x4 SSD for the primary slot. They're VERY expensive (though arguably worth the price considering they're twice as fast as SATA3 SSDs - truly top-end performance).

    My new Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD in my desktop PC maxes out at about 575 MB/s (approx), and these PCIe SSDs clock in at 1175 MB/s. Huge increase! I get boot times into windows 8.1 from off (no hibernate or sleep) in 2 SECONDS on the G751 w/ the 256 GB PCIe SSD. Amazing. My much more powerful desktop PC takes literally 10-20x as long (though it would be faster if I crippled it to use EFI, but that removes most capabilities and settings so it's not worth doing on most ASUS products that I know of.

  4. #4
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombievac View Post
    It can be, but you need to get a special PCIe x4 SSD for the primary slot. They're VERY expensive (though arguably worth the price considering they're twice as fast as SATA3 SSDs - truly top-end performance).

    My new Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD in my desktop PC maxes out at about 575 MB/s (approx), and these PCIe SSDs clock in at 1175 MB/s. Huge increase! I get boot times into windows 8.1 from off (no hibernate or sleep) in 2 SECONDS on the G751 w/ the 256 GB PCIe SSD. Amazing. My much more powerful desktop PC takes literally 10-20x as long (though it would be faster if I crippled it to use EFI, but that removes most capabilities and settings so it's not worth doing on most ASUS products that I know of.
    This is for the primary slot, meaning replacing the HDD yes? This is the one accessed by removing the panel under the PC? The secondary SSD is the one hidden within the PC I think.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    I also have a GL551JW-DS74. ASUS told me that the 128 SSD is upgradable, but not by them. I would have to get a third party or do it myself.
    They told me the SSD is a 128GB MSATA HC KINGSTON/RBU-SMSM151S3/128GD.

    I can't find images of where this is in the machine and don't want to take it apart without some idea of where it is, etc. I would like to upgrade the 128 GB to a 500 GB SSD. 128 is just way to small. Any info or images of what I might be getting into.

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    I too have the same issue. I bought a 240 gb SSD from Crucial, cloned the C: drive and though I opened the bottom opposite the battery, There is no visible open slot for an SSD, only that which is taken by the HDD which I want to keep. I have searched everywhere for information on the location of the 128 gb SSD with no luck. It seems that it is buried under the rest of the casing. I have also had no luck in finding a how-to.

  7. #7
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    The ASUS GL551 has one bay to accommodate either a HDD or a SSD. Mine came with the 256GB SSD installed and which is easily upgradeable. First, I always remove the battery, just to be safe. Then, simply remove the two screws from the rear panel (opposite of the battery compartment) and slide the cover off exposing both the memory and the drive bay. Either of these components will now be easily accessible. To remove the drive, simply remove the retention screws, use the tab to pull the drive free of the sata connections and lastly, remove the drive from the carrier.

    I replaced the original 256GB SSD with the Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD. I used the included Samsung Clone software to clone the original drive to the new drive before replacement. I had no issues with booting after the swap. Note that the Samsung Clone Software will NOT copy the system recovery partition to the new drive. Not a big deal for me since I will keep the original ssd on hand for backup.

    ASUS has a FAQ on upgrading the GL551 located here:

    http://rog.asus.com/376092014/g-seri...upgrade-guide/

    Hope this helps.

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    How to install mSATA into your Asus GL551 Laptop

    Quote Originally Posted by BramC View Post
    Does the GL551JW-DS74 allow for the 128gb SSD (included) to be upgraded and switched out to a 500gb SSD?
    I'm afraid that it's buried beyond reach and will not be replaceable.
    Any brother out there own the GL551JW-DS74 that can help?

    Thanks!
    Cheers

    I will be adding the same drive to my GL551JW, the how to install is on youtube below is the link.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaR...7FOVI1IZbJXrOy

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    See my post

    Quote Originally Posted by BramC View Post
    Does the GL551JW-DS74 allow for the 128gb SSD (included) to be upgraded and switched out to a 500gb SSD?
    I'm afraid that it's buried beyond reach and will not be replaceable.
    Any brother out there own the GL551JW-DS74 that can help?

    Thanks!
    Cheers

    Here is how to get to the mSATA drive

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaR...7FOVI1IZbJXrOy

  10. #10
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Djdubuque View Post
    I will be adding the same drive to my GL551JW, the how to install is on youtube below is the link.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaR...7FOVI1IZbJXrOy

    FYI, the internal mSATA is a 30mm mini msata ssd not a mSATA and it only comes in a 128GB version at this time. If I find one that will fit I'll post a link.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •