cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help from the knowledgeable on this board...time to update G751JY bios?

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
while i have my system running very well, i have a question that needs answering, and i'm not sure what to do. as i said, my system is running very fast, and i don't have hardly any of the problems that others have reported on this site, with my system. however, i have been slack about one thing, for a very long time, and now i feel it's time to make a decision about it.
i am still running bios 202. i have never upgraded it, and feel it might be time. however, i don't want to update it, if it is the likely cause of a lot of those problems i have read about. so i am not sure whether i should go ahead and update it, or if using the old bios has been my saving grace for why i haven't had a lot of problems with my rig. i would love to hear from the more knowledgeable, as to just what you have to say about this. thanks in advance.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11
3 REPLIES 3

Edweird
Level 10
As you've probably seen from the thread I posted, sometimes, even if you do everything correctly, something still goes wrong.
In your position, I would not update because you haven't had any of the issues known to us.

Personally, I would update because I'm stupid.
If G-Sync does start working on the G751, then it might be a good idea. As far as i recall, your BIOS version allows 100 extra MHz clock on the CPU through XTU, as compared to my .205. If you don't have any issues with USB ports or SSD drives then I see no reason for you to update.

I did it because there was no reason for it to fail. Alas.

Clintlgm
Level 14
If you do decide to update your BIOS, use a clean fat 32 USB. Download the BIOS file to your Computer but unzip it directly to the USB Thumb Drive. DO NOT unzip it to your hard drive then copy it to the USB!!Then do it through EZflash in the BIOS. Its important that the USB Thumb Drive be formatted and not have other files on it and that you unzip directly to the USB Thumb drive. Be absolutely certain your battery is fully charged and you are plugged. With that you are doing every thing you can to insure the update goes good and most times it will. Every now and them there are failures that end up as Bricked notebooks. I havn't seen it so much with these G751. We had lots of failures with the G75 I'm still using BIOS Version 210, not going to take any chances with 220, 221, 222. not one has been able to explain to me what would work better if I did upgrade. I'm Running 8.1 and all my hardware and software are working perfectly. So I would search around the forum and see if any one can explain to you why you need to update your BIOS. Ask yourself is there something in that next BIOS that I need or will make my notebook work better that's worth taking the chance.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
thanks for the replies guys. yeah, clintlgm, that is exactly the question that is driving me crazy, is there something in the new bios that will make my rig run better, faster or smoother. the fast that i'm running such an old bios bothers me. but on the other hand, i haven't had a lot of the problems that some others have had. but is that because of my old bios, or my careful nature of which drivers i use. or the fact that i axed win 8 as soon as i got the computer? it could very well be that i am running windows 10 and windows 7 ult in dual boot... who knows. but there is the voice deep in my head that thinks if i update the bios, my system will run BETTER. aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg!!! of course it could run worse, also. thus the conundrum. a couple of other posters on the bios thread said that they updated to 207, and things are fine. although they don't see the gsync capabilities promised. i have no idea what i'm going to do... but i appreciate the advice.

Edweird wrote:

As far as i recall, your BIOS version allows 100 extra MHz clock on the CPU through XTU, as compared to my .205. If you don't have any issues with USB ports or SSD drives then I see no reason for you to update.

what are your multiplyer numbers on xtu? mine are 37, 36, 35, 35.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11