cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Swift PG278Q October 2014 heat issue ?

knonn
Level 7
Hi,

I just got a new Asus Swift PG278Q and it came with heats issues on the bottom bar of the screen. Right and left of the Asus logo, it seems very hot after 20mns switched on.
The product was manufactured on October 2014. Is it dangerous for the monitor or no ? And do I have to return it to Asus warranty ?

Sorry for my bad english btw..
10 REPLIES 10

Korth
Level 14
My Swift gets a little warm after a while, some heat is normal and does no real harm. Especially since it's a large panel, apparently rated at a peak draw of 90W.

If yours is burning hot to the touch or melting plastic or deforming images or whatever then it's a problem. Most likely the logic board, but it could be anything, and it's only a matter of time before something fails.

I advise making sure the monitor has a few inches of open airflow around all four edges. Don't push it right up against the wall, don't stick it into a tight little hutch-alcove shelf box. And move the external power brick somewhere else, since it also produces some heat. The display might output less heat with brightness/intensity turned down, the logic board might output less heat if it's not driven at full clocks (say, turned down to 60Hz). If you try all these things and still feel the monitor is dangerously overheating itself then perhaps your unit is defective.

Your "bad" English is fine. Much better than my bad Klingon.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

The monitor is in a completely open space. There is only the bottom bar (with the Asus logo) which is very hot (I can touch it a long time but I think it is very hot for a monitor...). ONLY the vertical bar, under the asus logo it's not hot at all. It's heating on the menu buttons too.
There is no image deformations or melting plastic, then it's a new one so I don't know if this is normal btw.
I run it at 144Hz, brightness 70% and 2560x1440px.

Do you think my unit is defective ?

It occurs to me that - as is sometimes reported on all sorts of Asus products - your unit might have a poorly installed (or completely cooked off) factory TIM. Of course, opening your monitor up and mucking around with the components is a sure way to void your warranty and invalidate RMA claims. And, for all we know, the factory TIM is just fine and some other problem (if there really is a problem) is causing overheat. Just saying that if Asus isn't able to help you out then replacing the TIM yourself might be an option to consider.

Is there any chance your vents are blocked? Are they clean?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Vents aren't blocked. All is fine about that, they are all clean.
What is the TIM ? I don't use the Gsync (it is disable on the NVIDIA Control Panel) so it can't be the Gsync module isn't it ?
The bottom bezel of my monitor is about 45-50°C all the time, it seems not be hotter than that. All other parts of the monitor are about 25-30°C, not more.

Is it good or too hot for this monitor ? Because it seems very hot btw...

Korth
Level 14
I can't say. Do you think it's defective? Can you measure the temps? And what is your ambient temp?

The AUO M270Q002 V0 TN display panel chemistry is rated to operate up to 100C, the electronics are probably generic commercial-grade stuff rated to operate up to 85C (although the factory-overclocked G-Sync module uses a big fat heatsink and requires extra venting, so it might be better-grade stuff rated for higher temps). The hottest points measured (with an infrared thermometer at 19C ambient) on my PG278Q when running at full spec were 35C near the top area of the display panel and 43C immediately under the enlarged back area (where the electronics reside). The metal chassis/frame parts (under the bezels, etc) were all cooler than that big fat G-Sync heatsink. The LED temps were inconsequential.

The PG278Q complies with Energy Star 6.0 standards, meaning entire unit must be rated for <0.5W standby/off and <90W full power consumption. My PG278Q measured (with a Kill-A-Watt meter and a decent DMM) a draw of <1W on standby and hovered around 50W when running at maximum spec.

Your settings are being operated within the rated maximum spec for the monitor. You can compare temp/power measurements between your unit and mine, if that helps.

[/Korth]

Volt
Level 9
I think a TIM is a terminal interface material. The monitor has a heatsink inside of it. That will normally get hot. How hot? I don't know. I don't know where in the monitor it is, but it may be in the spot that your monitor is getting hot at.

RUMOR - I read somewhere, but I can't recall where, "that the SWIFT will go in overclock mode when running at 144HZ." This may or may not be true. But you might want to experiment with running it at 120HZ or lower to see if the temperature runs lower.

I'd contact ASUS's tech support by email to see if you can get a definitive answer on what are the acceptable temperatures for it to run at. It's possible that it running normally. Then again, maybe it's not.

Another possibility is to check all the vents on the monitor to make sure there isn't any lint in them obstructing the air flow. If it's new, this is unlikely to be the case. But a quick check wouldn't hurt. With my computer, my apartment is very dusty. And within a short period of time, my computer and it's vents will get dusty and linty. When that builds up sufficeiently, then the computers fans will work much louder as the rig gets hotter. Not dangerously hot. But it gets very noisey. Cleaning out all the built up lint, makes it much quieter.

Ahh - found an old thread that sounds like it has the same issue you are having.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53622-Asus-PG278Q-heat-issue

Yeah I saw this thread but don't get an acceptable answer. ASUS supports said me that 50°C is acceptable but I don't know because there isn't all models of PG278Q that heating like mine.
Yesterday it heated about 45°C MAX all the day (only the bottom bezel, the rest of the monitor was about 25-30°C). I think it's ok but I don't know if this will be dangerous for the product life.
The monitor's vents are all ok.

Volt
Level 9
Then it looks like it's going to be okay. Especially if ASUS supports said that the temp was acceptable. Then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

This reminds me a little bit of how my desktop will run hotter, or cooler depending on what it's doing. I have my desktop under, and next to my desk. And it's in the corner of my living room area. If I play a long session of Far Cry 4, I'll sometimes hear the fans become louder. And my area under my desk will get noticably warmer. I have to run the AC and another ceiling fan to help keep my computer area cool and comfortable. I've never really noticed my SWIFT getting noticalblly warmer. Nor have I ever really checked. For I mostly notice when my desktop pushes out hotter air. I'll try to check it when I'm gaming to see if it get's hot (50°C) like yours does.

The inside of my desktop, and it's componenets will get very hot. It's designed to do that. And normally lasts for several years.

ASUS support said that it's ok but I don't know if they understand where it heating a lot. They said me that it's normal that the monitor heating at the power supply connector but it's not there that it heating.
It heating at the bottom bezel and on the menu buttons. About 44°C yesterday. But on the right&left bezels it heating like 34°C... That makes me crazy you know 😛
I don't know if I return the product to a new one or if I keep it because this issue is not dangerous for the product life. Understand that 750€ is a lot of money to use this monitor only a year because it's defective.

I talked with 2 or 3 people who have the PG278Q and they said me that their monitors don't heating like mine...

I really want an ASUS official reply on this topic to be sure that all is ok.