cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved] 32GB Memory Kit, arrives in 2 packages?

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hi folks, please forgive me if this has been answered already.
I had searched somewhat here on the forums and had not found an answer. Please provide a link if I'm in error.

I recently purchased a 32GB kit (4x8GB) G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10Q-32GTX on amazon.com (store - WHS Group,LLC).
The package arrived today.:) But upon opening envelope I find 2 packages of 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX kits.:confused::mad:

The prismatic silver label on the white stickers affixed to each stick says "589 - 2015 Feb". Again this is the same across all 4 sticks. And everything else on the 2 packages is the same except serial numbers...

1st package - 150625000573507 , 150625000573508

2nd package - 150625000573571 , 150625000573572

Is this a cause for concern?

Or is this normal practice for a dual/quad channel kits?

I appreciate any and all assistance.:)

note: my reason for choosing a 32GB kit, is to fully utilize RamDisk.
12 REPLIES 12

Raja
Level 13
If you ordered a single kit, the retailer should have shipped you a single 32 GB kit. Its not ideal to use multiple kits as they may need manual adjustments to get working at that speed. I'd contact the vendor and tell them you did not get what you paid for and would like a refund or exchange.

Ntwlf
Level 12
Thank You Raja,

I had just sent a message to "WHS Group,LLC" through amazon.com messaging system, per your recommendation.
I politely explained the problem and included a link to this page as well.

And now, I await their reply.

Raja
Level 13
No probs. Let us know how it goes.

sectionate
Level 12
You can contact G.Skill directly on its forums, good csr
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

sectionate wrote:
You can contact G.Skill directly on its forums, good csr

GSkill advise people not to combine memory kits. This needs to be handled by the seller who sent something other than what was advertised.

randyenergy
Level 10
Ntwlf wrote:
Hi folks, please forgive me if this has been answered already.
I had searched somewhat here on the forums and had not found an answer. Please provide a link if I'm in error.

I recently purchased a 32GB kit (4x8GB) G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10Q-32GTX on amazon.com (store - WHS Group,LLC).
The package arrived today.:) But upon opening envelope I find 2 packages of 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX kits.:confused::mad:

The prismatic silver label on the white stickers affixed to each stick says "589 - 2015 Feb". Again this is the same across all 4 sticks. And everything else on the 2 packages is the same except serial numbers...

1st package - 150625000573507 , 150625000573508

2nd package - 150625000573571 , 150625000573572

Is this a cause for concern?

Or is this normal practice for a dual/quad channel kits?

I appreciate any and all assistance.:)

note: my reason for choosing a 32GB kit, is to fully utilize RamDisk.

Hi Ntwlf,
Have a look here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Ntwlf
Level 12
Problem Solved,

As I indicated in the original Post, "The prismatic silver label on the white stickers affixed to each stick says "589 - 2015 Feb"", this confused me somewhat in thinking "589" may be a binning number of sorts. Meaning that the kits can be matched this way. So I started this thread to clear my confusion and possibly benefit others, in regards to what you receive when you purchase a kit.

Raja@ASUS, erased that confusion the quickest with his reply.:) As well as randyenergy referring to this thread...https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Here's a summary of what has transpired since the beginning of this post.

I contacted the seller through amazon.com's email system, notifying them of the problem. The CSR (Customer Service Representatives) for WHS Group,LLC, quickly replied and suggested that I try and see if the ram works or/if not satisfied, they have provided a shipping return label so as to return the ram kits and that they would send me the correct single kit.

I returned the ram kits to them, after they received it, they sent me the correct single kit. And now all is good.:D

So now to share what's on the labels of the 32GB ram kit, at least part of it.
The prismatic silver label on the white stickers affixed to each stick says "590 - 2014 Dec", and the serial numbers are consecutive across all four sticks. Here's the last three numbers of each stick...537 , 538 , 539 , 540.

Now as to why they had sent the two kits in the first place.:confused: The CSR indicated that the warehouse says that "there is no difference on the total of number of RAM you get from the quadruple sticks of 32 GB", meaning that adding up the GB capacity of multiple packages is OK.

So I shared with them the best I can explain in "layman's" terms as well as provided a more technical explanation as Raja@ASUS put "it" in the link above, that kits combined seldom if ever work together in a single system.

The next part shows our communications, and in the end I believe, this issue will/may not happen again. As you'll see in reading, the seller "Does" want to have a "Happy Customer".:D

-to be continued in next reply-

Ntwlf
Level 12
-continued-
------------- Original message -------------

Monday May 11,2015

I have received the package of G.Skill Memory, in which I've ordered through "amazon.com" from your store. And I was disappointed upon opening the package, as what was received, it didn't match what was listed on "amazon.com" that I had purchased.

1 package "Item model number: F3-2400C10Q-32GTX", is the item description in which I had purchased.
Not 2 packages "Item model number: F3-2400C10D-16GTX", thus is what I had received.

This needs to be remedied soon.

I have posed this problem on "https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61291-32GB-Memory-Kit-arrives-in-2-packages", and "Raja@ASUS" answered with

If you ordered a single kit, the retailer should have shipped you a single 32 GB kit. Its not ideal to ut se single kits as they may need manual adjustments to get working at that speed. I'd contact the vendor and tell them you did not get what you paid for and would like a refund or exchange.

I'm willing to accept an exchange, but I'm not able to pay for another kit again, without a refund on first (incorrect) kit.

I would appreciate you addressing this matter quickly.

Thank You,

(Myself)

------------- Begin message -------------

Hello

Just wanted to give you an update on your inquiry. They said there is no difference on the total of number of RAM you get from the quadruple sticks of 32 GB. "S", "D" and "Q"are just the number of sticks in a package. Please see the following info .

F3-2400C10S-8GTX S= Single stick in a package 1 Stick = 8GB of RAM

F3-2400C10D-16GTX D= Double sticks in a package 2 Sticks = 8GB x 2= 16GB of RAM

F3-2400C10Q-32GTX Q= Quadruple sticks in a package 4 Sticks = 8 GB x 4 = 32 GB of RAM

Please go ahead and install all 4 sticks, you will see the total number of 32 GB RAM in your system.

For your safety, make sure to disconnect power from the outlet before you are installing them.

We just want you to be happy with the product that you purchased. If you are not satisfied with it, you can return them to us for an exchange. Please make sure to bubble wrap and ship it back to us. Please use barcode label for shipping from the other email.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

CSR

Hi

You are correct "ONLY" in their statement, "They said there is no difference on the total of number of RAM you get from the quadruple sticks of 32 GB. "S", "D" and "Q"are just the number of sticks in a package.", however, the performance of combined kits (packages) vary's widely, and seldom reach the advertised specifications of a single packaged kit.

The ram sticks combined in a single package, (2, 4, 8), are hand picked in the manufacturers facility after going through rigorous testing. In layman's terms each stick is put on a dynometer, and tested rigorously, to find it's maximum stable frequency and timings, then the sticks are paired by 2's, 4's or 8's with others that max on the same settings. The sticks (as a set) are now dyno'd again, to verify they work together at the specifications the manufacturer sets for the kit's. If the kit passes all tests, the sticks are put in a "single package". If it fails, individual sticks are swapped out and the set is tested again, process continues.

When ram is installed into a computer, and the computer is booted up, the BIOS reads certain information from all the ram sticks installed (capacity, timings, voltage requirements). There are multiple profiles as it's called, programed to each ram stick, each profile differs from the next, as it's for different frequency's the ram operates at. The slowest frequencies (profiles) generally will work with mismatched ram. But the fastest frequencies (profiles) usually result in a BSOD (crash) of the computer. So a slower profile is selected by the BIOS and attempts to run the ram at those settings. There is a lot more to how all this works, but I've wanted to give a little idea as to the importance of "manufacturer matched kits".

So now I hope you see that your companies (warehouse employees) practice of combining multiple kits to make a 32 GB order, is not the proper way to meet an order (as they don't have the technical expertise to test ram kits (packages)), it's cheating the customer, and in the end, results in loss of sales to customers whom no better.

On the internet, there is a wealth of technical information in regards to computer building, that validates my statement.

In regards to your suggestion of installing the ram to see if it works, I'm not able (nor willing) to try this, as I don't have all the components for the computer build at this time. For instance I don't have a motherboard yet, or any other computer that the ram would fit into.

I have printed out the return label you have provided and will be taking the package to the Post Office shortly (this afternoon 05/12/2015) to return to you.
The ram your company has sent to me will be returned in the same package as sent to me, with the return label affixed over the original label. The (2) packages of ram remain unopened and undamaged within the envelope.

Now does your inventory indicate that you have a single package of "32GB kit (4x8GB) G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10Q-32GTX", I had originally ordered?

If not, then I must request a full refund.

Thank You for your prompt response,

(Myself)

Hello

I sent a message the warehouse to make sure to pull F3-2400C10Q-32GTX.

Thank you

CSR

Hi

I have taken the envelope to the mail clerk at the USPS office in *****,VA at 05/12/2015 03:28:07 PM local time. The clerk accepted the envelope as securely packaged and taped, and given me a Sales Receipt for the Pre-paid Mailpiece Acceptance of the Return Label your company has provided me.

The original envelope was secured with packing tape on where the pull string was removed to open. The return label has been affixed over the original shipping label. The envelope contains the exact original unopened 2 packages of ram, individually wrapped with bubble-wrap exactly as originally shipped.

Here's the USPS Tracking Number as on the Return Label your company has provided: *************** , current tracking information at time of this message indicates the envelope is en-route to your location/destination.

I hope your warehouse has the "F3-2400C10Q-32GTX 32GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-19200 2400MHz Trident X Series CL10 (10-12-12-31) Quad Channel kit" in stock, and look forward to receiving said kit.

Thank You for your update

(Myself)

Hello

I just checked with a shipping staff and let you know we have F3-2400C10Q-32GTX 32GB in stock and can exchange it for you.

Thank you

CSR

Hi

Here's a heads up in regards to envelope/package return USPS Tracking #***************.
At time of writing 05/14/2015 01:00 PM EDT, has been DELIVERED a few minutes ago.

I'm sure you have tracked envelope/package as well, or at least as time aloud. I hope you find it in the same condition as it was sent.

Thank You,

(Myself)

Hello

RAM part # F3-2400C10Q-32GTX will be shipped via Priority Mail today, so it should be in your mailbox very shortly.

Tracking number ***************, please allow USPS up to 24 hrs to update tracking data online.

Thank you

CSR

I have received the "RAM part # F3-2400C10Q-32GTX" on Monday May 18,2015 and it's exactly what I needed.

I thank all of you for a timely resolution to the incorrect ram that had been sent the first time round. I can understand that not everyone knows the technical aspects of why it's not a good idea to mix kits of ram in a single system, one cannot know everything. Even I still have a lot to learn about computers. Therefore I'll give your store "WHS GROUP, LLC" a good feedback rating, and not mention any of this, as customer service is equally important as the sale. All is good.

I'm providing a link to a thread on www.rog.asus.com written by a representative of ASUS, that explains in more detail the importance of using a single ram kit, should you wish to understand more.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

At bottom of thread, the last reply says "We no longer provide help to people that combine memory kits other than to tell them to return them to the reseller and purchase a single kit."

Again I Thank All of You, and look forward to further purchases from your store.

A Satisfied Customer,

(Myself)

Thank you for your feedback and I will pass along info with link to other guys . We do appreciate for your business.

Again, I apologize for mix-up in shipping.

Thanks again, have a great Memorial long weekend.

CSR

Ntwlf
Level 12
Problem Solved,

As I indicated in the original Post, "The prismatic silver label on the white stickers affixed to each stick says "589 - 2015 Feb"", this confused me somewhat in thinking "589" may be a binning number of sorts. Meaning that the kits can be matched this way. So I started this thread to clear my confusion and possibly benefit others, in regards to what you receive when you purchase a kit.

Raja@ASUS, erased that confusion the quickest with his reply.:) As well as randyenergy referring to this thread...https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Here's a summary of what has transpired since the beginning of this post.

I contacted the seller through amazon.com's email system, notifying them of the problem. The CSR (Customer Service Representatives) for WHS Group,LLC, quickly replied and suggested that I try and see if the ram works or/if not satisfied, they have provided a shipping return label so as to return the ram kits and that they would send me the correct single kit.

I returned the ram kits to them, after they received it, they sent me the correct single kit. And now all is good.:D

So now to share what's on the labels of the 32GB ram kit, at least part of it.
The prismatic silver label on the white stickers affixed to each stick says "590 - 2014 Dec", and the serial numbers are consecutive across all four sticks. Here's the last three numbers of each stick...537 , 538 , 539 , 540.

Now as to why they had sent the two kits in the first place.:confused: The CSR indicated that the warehouse says that "there is no difference on the total of number of RAM you get from the quadruple sticks of 32 GB", meaning that adding up the GB capacity of multiple packages is OK.

So I shared with them the best I can explain in "layman's" terms as well as provided a more technical explanation as Raja@ASUS put "it" in the link above, that kits combined seldom if ever work together in a single system.

The next part shows our communications, and in the end I believe, this issue will/may not happen again. As you'll see in reading, the seller "Does" want to have a "Happy Customer".:D

-to be continued in next reply-