cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i5 4670k help overclocking

Raildawg06
Level 7
hello guys i'm new to this forum and not sure if suppose to be posting here?

Anyway I just bought a new Custom build computer not to long ago and I would like to get into overclocking my cpu &
memory if possible.. I have a really good cooling setup and my cpu is delidded... I have to ask I try to overclock myself but i failed
and was very worried cause I set to manual oc so set to manual cpu vcore set to 1.230vcore to test out 4.6ghz see if it was stable
it was pushing 1.280vcore for some reason is that safe?? that a Major spike of vcore when i set to 1.23vcore

here my system setup
CPU i5 4670k 3.8ghz stock
Mobo Asus Maximus Formula VI
Memory Corsair Dominator GT 16gb 2000mhz
GPU R9 280x crossfire
122 REPLIES 122

Raildawg06
Level 7
here is my temps when I have it at 4.7ghz 1.37vcore it reads 1.41vcore on Hwinfo.... I would like to push the cpu more to 4.8 or 4.9ghz but idk
if going over 1.40vcore will kill my chip?? i have really good idle temps and max temps I see is 64c... but i hope someone can come across my
post and ask me why the vcore jumps from 1.230vcore to 1.280vcore when i set it at 1.23v

Raildawg06
Level 7
bump can anyone help me please?

Nate152
Hello Raildawg06

4.7GHz with the 4670k is a nice overclock, to hit 4.8GHz it looks like you will need roughly 1.45v. Is 63c stress testing temps or gaming temps? Either way your temps say you can try for it. If you can get 4.8GHz stable play a game and check the cpu temp, if it's at 75c or below you will be fine. If you can't get 4.8GHz stable with reasonable temps be happy with 4.7GHz.

It's normal for the cpu to fluctuate some in voltage and yours seems to fluctuate a good bit. Are you by chance using high LLC? (Load Line Calibration)

1.40v is a good voltage to stop at if you want your cpu to last a long time, anything over that and you're risking cpu degredation but if you can keep temps under control it will be ok. I have my 3770k at 5.0GHz with 1.45v.

Hello Nate152 thanks for getting back to me ya 4.7ghz is a alright overclock for me Edit 4.7ghz at 1.360vcore is stress
temps of 64c highest max temps I got when stress testing... I try to push it to 4.8ghz with
vcore of 1.44vcore and it was reading on hwinfo and hwmonitor that vcore was pushing 1.476vcore... so I got afraid back it down to 4.7ghz
with vcore of 1.370vcore and LLC set at level 5... should I try pushing my 4.8ghz with 1.45vcore cause i couldnt get stable running Realbench
stress test program and Cinebench + Firestrike extreme... And Wow a I7 3770k at 5ghz O_o crazy lol

I try to use the per core method but all my cores was reading the lowest which was 4.8 4.7 4.6 4.5 when I set it up and it was only reading
4.5ghz not in order way i had it setup as

Nate152
All right

Try disabling LLC or setting it to 1 and see if that helps your cpu from over volting too much.

Set the AI overclock to manual and sync all cores, this should get all cores at the same speed and try the cpu core ratio 48 and cpu core voltage 1.45v. If it crashes give it a little more voltage your temps say you can but over 1.50v in my opinion you are entering dangerous territory.

it looks like 4.8GHz will be it for you but I think you can do it.

is there anyway I could use the Per core Method?? would like to push 2 cores at 4.8ghz and last 2 cores 4.7ghz if i can??

Raildawg06
Level 7
ok I set LLC to level 1 and set cpu ratio at 4.8ghz sync all cores and tested with 1.45vcore & 1.46v 1.47v & 1.48v was not Stable 😕 it was reading
almost 1.5vcore on Hwmonitor and Hwinfo64 programs... think I reached my limit with 4.7ghz... do you know how to overclock memory? I would
like to push my memory as well if I can

Nate152
Yes just unsync the cores and you should be able to enter each cores speed you want.

Sure we can try to over clock your ram, but first list me the specs including the voltage.

Raildawg06
Level 7
I have the Corsair Dominator GT 2000mhz 1.65vcore voltage when I setup XMP in bios... hey nate152 can I overclock my cpu per core method??
I would like to push 2 cores 4.8ghz if I can?