cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will Windows 10 update last forever?

skajuan
Level 7
so i was wondering, since the asus rog laptops came with windows 8.1 preinstalled and activated (therefore original), when microsoft officially releases windows 10, that update will last forever or we have to buy a license key after a year, like everyone else?
4 REPLIES 4

Maxter
Level 9
unless previously stated when you bought your laptop with Win8/8.1, you will have to buy the latest version of Windows (v10), which will be the very last one they will make. Seems like they are looking to following with patches thereafter. Kind of like Apple does.

Microsoft's Windows 10 site says ...
Microsoft Free Upgrade Offer wrote:

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year! And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time - for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months.

Windows 10 retail launch is expected to be Q3/2015. So, you should be able to use the Free Upgrade Offer anytime until Q3/2016 - this would "permanently" upgrade your Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 at no cost. In essence, your Win8.1 Product Key would be transferred to Win10 (in Microsoft's evil genuine product registration database). The only possible downside (aside from the possibility of Win10 really sucking) is that you may no longer be able to use your Win8.1 Win10 Product Key to activate a copy of Win8.1 - no one outside of Microsoft really knows details about this yet, of course.

The Windows 10 beta (Technical Preview) was originally scheduled to terminate 15Apr2015, but it's still active a month later. People report that this Free Upgrade Offer was originally intended to also include Windows Vista, but (if true) this has apparently changed. Users of older Windows versions (XP, etc) are clearly past the cutoff.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

skajuan
Level 7
well it seems that there are differents opinions about this matter, has anyone tested the last preview build on g750 series laptops? i wanna give it a try but dont know how to came back to my original windows 8.1 before the official release of win 10

skajuan wrote:
well it seems that there are differents opinions about this matter, has anyone tested the last preview build on g750 series laptops? i wanna give it a try but dont know how to came back to my original windows 8.1 before the official release of win 10

Make the Asus Backtracker USB Recovery Drive (Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash drive 16GB works really well), then you can revert back to the factory installed Windows 8.1 OS, that's if you didn't delete the "Recovery Partition"

Backtracker V3.0.8
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"