cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G751JY - Yellow tint / Too much warmth on the display

ROGTWAT
Level 7
Hello folks,

I love this new laptop but I am having troubles to live with the yellow tint this display has. Even with splendid set to Normal and uninstalled, it definitely has too much yellow. White is never white and I cannot seem to find a calibration setting that is actually true to color. For 1999€ I expected a flawless unit so is there anything I can do about this? If not, it is going back. It's a shame really as everything else about this thing is so lovely.

Thanks for any help!
ASUS G751JY | i7-4720HQ | GTX 980M | 16GB RAM | M.2 SSD + HDD | WIN 10
21 REPLIES 21

NitroX
Level 10
I don't know about you but normally the G751 has a very sharp and accurate display. You could try using the splendid profile but without installing the program intself. Try this out here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57748-G751JY-Color-Calibration-to-share&p=476412&viewfull=... .

Be sure to also make a restart after applying it because "who knows".

ROGTWAT
Level 7
I've tried that already but is stil has that tint. Should I send it in to have it checked?

Try also to make a clean reinstall of the NVidia GPU driver. Maybe that's what causes the yellowish tint. If not, then I don't know. Maybe try to enter in windows safe mode to see if it is anything related to software.
Here it is a little info on what to do in safe mode: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-safe-mode#1TC=windows-7

ROGTWAT
Level 7
Nothing helped but to set the overall gamma to 1.20 and the blue value to 55% in nvidia control panel and make sure those settings are used for the desktop as well. I think I'll do a hardware calibration at some point but it works for now..

Thanks for your help but this appears to be a hardware "problem". I mean it looks nice having everything warmed up a bit but when you have to edit pictures, your effed. Maybe the HW calibration will help manage that later.

NitroX
Level 10
I'm sure that the guys from the service will solve this issue if you won't find any solution to it. If you are going to make professional graphics work then you should definitely solve this issue asap. I can't think about a reason that could make the screen yellowish. I mean, hardware issues are usually black screen, dead pixels, random lines, faulty wires etc. but a yellowish tint -_- ... I dunno. Have you checked to see if the panel is indeed LG IPS? Maybe they swapped something when they've put the display.

Okay, I've done that and it says: LG Philips LP173WF4-SPD1 which I assume is correct. I've checked it at 60Hz and 75Hz and there is no difference. I think the lower left area of the display has less of that yellow tint but my eyes may be unreliable by now. Where can I get my hands on a new color profile for this display? I've taken the one (actually one of two identical?) from the Splendid installer and it doesn't do it for me. Jesus, I'm frustrated..

ROGTWAT
Level 7
In device manager it says Generic PnP Monitor. Where can I see more about it?

NitroX
Level 10
You will have to download AIda64 and then go to Display-->Monitor and see what details it shows you.

ROGTWAT
Level 7
A day later I am a bit smarter. It appears the warmth of the display is normal, it is a warm display. However, I have uneven white all over the display, which makes me think backlight issues or matte coating accident? It is a small difference but reading on the internet led me live with it rather than to jeopardize it for other issues. Let me say, when playing games this display is BEAUTIFUL. I'm only talking photo editing issues here. Would you return the whole notebook and start setting it up all over again for a mild chance to get one with the same issue at it IS an IPS issue?